Advice wanted battery problem.

Old April 27th 08, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Postie

Default Advice wanted battery problem.

Your help is required please,

I have a problem with a 14 month old 110 amp hour battery.

Disconnected the Multi meter reading 12.2 volts

Connect battery to van, onboard gauge reading 11.9 volts

Use battery for about 1 hour voltage on onboard gauge reading drops to .9
volts pump plays up lights hardly work

Change battery to spare everything is fine and works well.

Multi meter reading 11.7 volts on problem battery after disconnecting from
van. Electrolyte level is quarter to half inch above plates when I used a
hydrometer to check individual cells I get a reading of 11.5 for all six
cells.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Postie

Old April 27th 08, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Simpsons

"postie" postie-at-madasafish-dot-com wrote in message
Your help is required please,

I have a problem with a 14 month old 110 amp hour battery.

Disconnected the Multi meter reading 12.2 volts

Connect battery to van, onboard gauge reading 11.9 volts

Use battery for about 1 hour voltage on onboard gauge reading drops to .9
volts pump plays up lights hardly work

Change battery to spare everything is fine and works well.

Multi meter reading 11.7 volts on problem battery after disconnecting from
van. Electrolyte level is quarter to half inch above plates when I used a
hydrometer to check individual cells I get a reading of 11.5 for all six
cells.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Postie

You don't mention how your battery is being charged.
Assumming you have an on board charger and the .9 volt should read as 9
volts I would suggest the charger output fuse has blown, in which case you
will eventually have the same problem with the spare.

Fred

Old April 27th 08, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

on 27/04/2008, postie supposed :
Your help is required please,

I have a problem with a 14 month old 110 amp hour battery.

Disconnected the Multi meter reading 12.2 volts

Connect battery to van, onboard gauge reading 11.9 volts

Use battery for about 1 hour voltage on onboard gauge reading drops to .9
volts pump plays up lights hardly work

Change battery to spare everything is fine and works well.

Multi meter reading 11.7 volts on problem battery after disconnecting from
van. Electrolyte level is quarter to half inch above plates when I used a
hydrometer to check individual cells I get a reading of 11.5 for all six
cells.

No mention of charging the battery, or a charging system....

The above could mean the battery is simply flat and in need of
charging. If it was charged fully before your above tests it probably
means the battery needs to be replaced. Has the battery been left
perhaps in a discharged condition for a while? That would quickly kill
even a new battery.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old April 27th 08, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:44:45 +0100, "postie"
postie-at-madasafish-dot-com wrote:

Your help is required please,

I have a problem with a 14 month old 110 amp hour battery.

Disconnected the Multi meter reading 12.2 volts

Connect battery to van, onboard gauge reading 11.9 volts

Use battery for about 1 hour voltage on onboard gauge reading drops to .9
volts pump plays up lights hardly work

Change battery to spare everything is fine and works well.

Multi meter reading 11.7 volts on problem battery after disconnecting from
van. Electrolyte level is quarter to half inch above plates when I used a
hydrometer to check individual cells I get a reading of 11.5 for all six
cells.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

With a reading of 12.2 volts disconnected I would consider that the
battery was to all intents and purposes flat and in need of charging.
I would charge it with a bench charger charging at 5 amps or so for 24
hours, by which time the voltage should be in the region of 14.5 volts
whilst still connected to the charger, then disconnect and leave for a
couple of hours and if the battery is in decent condition you should
expect to see a voltage of about 12.9 volts.
If you are relying on your caravans battery charger to charge the
battery and it is giving you the results that you say above then it
would seem that your caravan battery charger is faulty. Most of them
are not designed to fully charge a battery they are designed to give a
maximum voltage at which the caravans equipment will work
satisfactorily which is not always the best voltage for achieving a
full charge in the battery.
Bill Lord

Old April 29th 08, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Postie

"bill lord" wrote in message
[...]

Thank your for your replies I am in the process of charging this battery on
the garage bench as recommended and will test it again at the end of the
time.
Your time and trouble was much appreciated.

Regards
Postie

Old April 30th 08, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:44:45 +0100, "postie"
postie-at-madasafish-dot-com wrote:

Your help is required please,

I have a problem with a 14 month old 110 amp hour battery.

Disconnected the Multi meter reading 12.2 volts

Connect battery to van, onboard gauge reading 11.9 volts

Use battery for about 1 hour voltage on onboard gauge reading drops to .9
volts pump plays up lights hardly work

Change battery to spare everything is fine and works well.

Multi meter reading 11.7 volts on problem battery after disconnecting from
van. Electrolyte level is quarter to half inch above plates when I used a
hydrometer to check individual cells I get a reading of 11.5 for all six
cells.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Postie

An accurate meter reading of 12.2v would indicate a battery very
nearly discharged.

If voltage drops upon connecting battery to 'van, either there is a
discrepancy in accuracy between multimeter and 'van gauge, or there is
a current drain as soon as the battery is connected. Connect
multimeter while battery is connected to 'van to find out.

After 1 hours use battery voltage drops to X.9v? What is X? I'm
assuming a typo.

Multimeter reading of 11.7v on a disconnected battery indicates it is
fully discharged - and then some!

If the electrolyte level is equal in all cells and is the same
specific gravity in all cells then it is unlikely to be one faulty
cell. However, your hydrometer reading is spurious - the best I can
get on a fully charged battery is 1.30, so I'm assuming you mean 1.15,
which is not low enough to indicate a flat battery. So now I'm
confused - a specific gravity of 1.05 or lower would indicate a really
flat battery and agree with the multimeter reading.

Suggestion:-

Charge your battery off the 'van with a bench-top charger, until the
specific gravity reaches 1.25(1.30 would be better) in all cells, or
one of the cells starts to bubble. If you can measure the voltage
while it's charging you really should be getting a voltage of 14.4v
minimum, otherwise the battery will never reach a fully charged
state.

Tip for the future - Never leave a lead-acid battery in a state other
than fully charged. Always fully charge the battery as soon as
practical after use and before laying up.

Let us know what you find.

Neil

Old April 30th 08, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Postie

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

Battery charged at 14.44 multi meter reading for 36 hours. taken off charge
left for 8 hours 13.28 multi meter reading. Specific gravity reads 1.23 to
convert to your scale. The van had been in storage and the battery had been
running the alarm system for 3 weeks it was fully charged when connected at
the start of that time period.

Regards,
Postie

Old April 30th 08, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:09:37 +0100, "postie"
postie-at-madasafish-dot-com wrote:

Battery charged at 14.44 multi meter reading for 36 hours. taken off charge
left for 8 hours 13.28 multi meter reading. Specific gravity reads 1.23 to
convert to your scale. The van had been in storage and the battery had been
running the alarm system for 3 weeks it was fully charged when connected at
the start of that time period.

readings like that would suggest that the battery is fine, I would be
disappointed with that amount of discharge after only three weeks of
supporting an alarm. It would be interesting to see what the voltage
is after another three weeks of sitting in storage with the alarm on,
I would suspect that starting now with a full charge that the battery
will not be as run down as it was previously.
Bill Lord

Old April 30th 08, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Postie

"bill lord" wrote in message
[...]

I will test this scenario again at the next opportunity I get. It is about
get a lot of work I hope out for a lot of weekends over the next few weeks.

Regards,
Postie