FAO Guy Barnes

Old May 6th 08, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ForeverArsenal

Default FAO Guy Barnes

I have a hymer swing 530 KZ 2004 model 5 berth with fixed bunks.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,
Guy,does your swing have onboard water tank ?(drinking).

If so how does one go on when leaving site ?,do you have to drain down
every time ?.
Only go away for three days at a time.

The Hymer I'm thinking of getting has onboard tank at *rear* of van,
with hot water tank over axle.
Do you have to fill onboard tank or can you use direct from aquaroll ?.

If Guy does not have have onboard tank,anyone know please,Hobby owners etc.

--
Don't get to friendly with the neighbours.
You never know when you've got to upset

Old May 7th 08, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"ForeverArsenal" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I have a hymer swing 530 KZ 2004 model 5 berth with fixed bunks.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,
Guy,does your swing have onboard water tank ?(drinking).

If so how does one go on when leaving site ?,do you have to drain down
every time ?.
Only go away for three days at a time.

The Hymer I'm thinking of getting has onboard tank at *rear* of van,
with hot water tank over axle.
Do you have to fill onboard tank or can you use direct from aquaroll ?.

I've got a Hymer camper, not a caravan, but it may give you some ideas.
Just take a long hose pipe with you and fill up the onboard tank when you
arrive on site. If you feel you must take an aquaroll as well then buy a
cheap submersible pump to transfer the water from the aquaroll to the main
tank and power it from a cigarette lighter socket or something.

If I were you I'd drain nearly all the water out of the tank before towing
leaving just enough for a cup of tea en-route.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 7th 08, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Campa-Man

"ForeverArsenal" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I have a hymer swing 530 KZ 2004 model 5 berth with fixed bunks.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,
Guy,does your swing have onboard water tank ?(drinking).

If so how does one go on when leaving site ?,do you have to drain down
every time ?.
Only go away for three days at a time.

The Hymer I'm thinking of getting has onboard tank at *rear* of van,
with hot water tank over axle.
Do you have to fill onboard tank or can you use direct from aquaroll ?.

If Guy does not have have onboard tank,anyone know please,Hobby owners
etc.

--
Don't get to friendly with the neighbours.
You never know when you've got to upset
them.

Every litre of water basically weighs 1 kg, so you have got to allow for
your weight and also with towing a caravan think it may create stability
issues, I would suggest that the main fresh water is drained before towing,
think you would get away with the hot water and you would not drain the hot
water onto a grass pitch as you will kill the grass.

Old May 7th 08, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ForeverArsenal

Andy R" wrote in message
I've got a Hymer camper, not a caravan, but it may give you some ideas.

Just take a long hose pipe with you and fill up the onboard tank when you
arrive on site. Rgds

Andy R

Hi Andy, thanks for reply.

I do have aquaroll/pumps and bits,have been vanning
for ten years now.
Just want to get a newer van with fixed bed than my ABI Sunstar(very/very
rare van).

I don't think I like the idea of onboard water tank as it appears to
make a lot more work and messing about and was sort of asking if
there was a way of useing aquaroll / /pump to get water to taps
without filling on board tank ie do you have an option.

Don't know yet how hard // easy onboard tank would be to drain,
does it mean crawling under caravan to open taps // remove bungs.

I like the Hymer a lot but have not laid out cash yet.

As regards hot water tank that bang over axle so would not bother draining
that down till winter.
Not to concerned about weight,have MRO 1350 /// MTPLM 1700= 320 KG
payload,our payload is approx 100 kg,car can tow 2800 kg so got a bit of
leeway.
I know that water in on board tank is heavy and being at the rear of van
might cause
a bit of sea sawing ?while towing.
Only tow about 10 miles each way from storage to site,tend to go to same
site each
time.
Going to have another look this weekend and make my mind up so will
have a good look re water tank and how much hassle to drain.

Must say I'm more than a bit concerned if spares are needed and how easy//
hard
they maybe to get,no Hymer dealers I know of around Essex all seem to be up
north.

Many thanks for your time and help.
Barry

Old May 8th 08, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ForeverArsenal

--

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

Every litre of water basically weighs 1 kg, so you have got to allow for
your weight and also with towing a caravan think it may create stability
issues,

Hi Campa-man.
thanks for reply,see my reply to Andy please.
As stated in other post had heart op that's left me rather short of air
had all sorts of scans // tests etc and Docs can't come up with a reason
that my breathing is as poor as it is.

A major reason for van change is making up that darned double bed each night
that leaves puffing and blowing for ten mins :-( so don't want to crawl
about under
van for taps etc.
If draining tank is easy then don't mind that,just have to get use to doing
it that
way instead of emptying aquaroll.
Will see this weekend.

Many thanks
Barry

Old May 9th 08, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Campa-Man

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

[...]

We don't have a caravan we have a Hymer Motorhome, the drain taps are inside
a cupboard in the van so would assume the caravan would be the same

Old May 9th 08, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

[...]

Unless I want the tanks completely empty for the winter I just turn the taps
on to drain it. Can't think of an easier way to do it. Why make life
difficult?

Andy R

Old May 11th 08, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Thu, 8 May 2008 00:51:53 +0100, "ForeverArsenal"
wrote:
[...]

For what it's worth, the last 3 caravans I've had have all had onboard
water. I wouldn't by choice, have it any other way now.

The first had a blue wheeled container that could be slid out from a
hatch in the side of the 'van to take to the taps. It was an ABI
Adventurer. The second was a Adria with a 15 litre clear container in
the gas bottle locker which could be removed to take to the taps, but
I did some juggling and replaced it with a 30 litre cylindrical
container which sat in the space provided for one of the 13 kg propane
bottles. I would fill this by fetching a 29 litre Aquaroll and
transferring with a submersible pump. Traveling, I would only have
maybe 2 or 3 litres in it for drinks en route. Draining down with a
pipe used as a siphon, so the tank only ever comes out for cleaning.

The third, and present 'van is a Lunar Chateaux which also came with a
small 15 litre container in the gas bottle locker. So I did the same
rearrange as for the Adria and use it in exactly the same way.

Personally I prefer to have the water container inside and protected
from the heat of the sun and the freezing of the winter. I have had
other 'vans before these with which I used an Aquaroll or two, but far
prefer onboard now.

Neil

Old May 13th 08, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ForeverArsenal

"
We don't have a caravan we have a Hymer Motorhome, the drain taps are
inside a cupboard in the van so would assume the caravan would be the
same

Unless I want the tanks completely empty for the winter I just turn the
taps on to drain it. Can't think of an easier way to do it. Why make
life difficult?

Andy R

Hi again
thanks to those that replied to my draining post,sorry for delay
in answering,been away for few days.

To update I had another good look around Hymer and have almost decided
to buy it.

Putting the same question on draining down water tank to the main
sales person, I was told-shown that you remove the large top to
the tank (under side seat at rear of van) that you have to remove top,
reach in and pull out a stopper from bottom of tank,there is some type
of bung there that looks a bit like the one you would use in a house sink.

Seems a bum idea to me if correct.

Two other question I put to him he could not answer,so maybe someone in
the group may know.

Q 1) what is the nose weight limit for the Hymer nova 545 = don't know :-(
Q2) At what amps does the electrical consumer unit trip = don't know :-(

Anyone.
I know UK vans seem to be 10 amp and thats stated on the unit of the ones
I've seen.

The Hymer has nothing on the consumer unit or any of the manuals/paper work
that's
in the van.
Anyone ?.
I'm a bit concerned about the above as the hot water unit uses 1.6kw while
hotting up
which would only leave approx 3 amps if consumer unit was 10 amp trip,that
not enough
to hot the 1000w kettle we have without turning hot water heater each time.
Hope somone can help,if I can get answer's to the above I would like to buy
it.

Old May 14th 08, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

[...]

Not really. The pump draws from a 'sump' in the tank that is its lowest
point, therefore when the pump stops pumping there is only a dribble of
water left. You only need to open the big cap and pull out the bung if the
tank gets contaminated. The rest of the time just turn on the taps 'til the
water runs out.

Two other question I put to him he could not answer,so maybe someone in
the group may know.

Q 1) what is the nose weight limit for the Hymer nova 545 = don't know :-(

Isn't it possible to find out what chassis it's built on and get the details
from the manufacturer?

Q2) At what amps does the electrical consumer unit trip = don't know :-(

Easy to find, just look at the MCB in the unit.

Rgds

Andy R