New tyres

Old May 7th 08, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
artleknock

Default New tyres

Having just retired and now with lots of time to do what we want, we
are heading of to Scotland and Ireland for six weeks. We bought our
present caravan just over a year ago, a 2001 Bailey Pageant Magenta.
The tyres looked in perfect order, good tread, no cracks or wear, but
I have heard and seen so many horror stories where the tyres
disintegrate because of age I thought it best to be safe and put new
ones on. I wasn't looking forward to all the hassle of jacking up the
van, taking the wheels off and taking them to a tyre depot, which
would be easier than trying to get the van into a depot.
I found etyres on the web. Placed an order at about 4 yesterday
afternoon, and he arrived at the door at 11 this morning. Fitted a
pair of Pace 165/80R13C 8ply to the van in the driveway and the total
cost was 79.20. I am well pleased.
The old tyres were manufactured in 2000, 8 years old. I was playing
Russian Roulette every time I went out with them, they should have
been changed long ago.

John
---

Old age is not so bad when you consider the alternative.
Old May 7th 08, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"artleknock" wrote in message n

Russian Roulette every time I went out with them, they should have
been changed long ago.

Why was there an unseen problem with them?
Did your tyre expert point it out to you?

Please reply to News Group
Old May 7th 08, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart[_2_]

I have a 2001 Pageant and also felt that it was time to change the tyres.
I took then into the local tyre centre and was told they are perfectly good,
there is no need to change them. I know that the fitter there is an expert
but for my own peace of mind I bought one new tyre and fitted it along with
the spare (it had never been off the carrier).

Old May 7th 08, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
artleknock

Russian Roulette every time I went out with them, they should have
been changed long ago.

Why was there an unseen problem with them?
Did your tyre expert point it out to you?

Please reply to News Group

I used to work for Michelin (I was a tyre finisher - don't ask) we
used to be issued with a set of company tyres for our private
vehicles. It was a ridged rule that on no account was a tyre to be on
a vehicle for more than five years. The rubber reacts with Oxygen in
the atmosphere and hardens, as it gets older it will take less stress
before it breaks up, and don't forget that a caravan is the weight of
a small car on TWO wheels.
The tyre fitter also said that they should have been replaced a couple
of years ago, and he was an employee, no skin off his nose if I never
changed them.
A caravan that has had a tyre shred is not a pretty sight, even if it
stays on two wheels.
Old May 7th 08, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

On 7 May, 14:26, artleknock wrote:
[...]

The Caravan Club position (from a members only technical link) is
that
"Tyres should ideally be replaced when five years old, and should
never be used when more than seven years old"
They further go on to say that this wiew is supported by their
research into caravan tyre failures.
That's good enough for me.
Old May 8th 08, 01:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gazz

"Lunar475" wrote in message
The Caravan Club position (from a members only technical link) is
that
"Tyres should ideally be replaced when five years old, and should
never be used when more than seven years old"
They further go on to say that this wiew is supported by their
research into caravan tyre failures.
That's good enough for me.

i used to work for the breakdown services, it was many years ago now, but i
can clearly recall a fair few accidents caused by tyres failing at high
speed, some resulting in fatalities, and when checked the tyres were always
found to be over 7 years old.

One i remember very well was a 10 year old car, bloke had replaced his tyres
when the car was about 6 years old as he wore them out, but left the spare
alone as it had never been used,

He ran over some debris in the road, puncturing one of his tyres, so he
pulled over, put his 'as new' spare on, and tootled off again at 70mph, he
got about 10 miles up the road, and whilst overtaking someone that 'as new'
spare tyre blew out, he went into the central reservation barrier, bounced
back into the car he was overtaking, which bounced him back into the barrier
where he over turned and did a couple of sommer saults accross the
caridgeway before coming to a rest a few feet from a bridge parapet.

no one was seriousely hurt that time, but he wrote off 2 vehicles for the
sake of a 50 quid tyre, he kept on saying when i was sweeping the remains of
his car up off the road 'the tyre was like new, never been used, is the
origional spare that came with the car'

he's never heard that tyres age even if not used,

thing that's worrying is all these adverts for the tyre slime stuff that
fixes punctures as they happen, i've used it my self in a scooter and dog
trailer, and it works, got 3 punctures that were sealed with less than 2psi
pressure drop, only knew about them when i noticed the pressure drops when
checking the tyres and spotted the tell tale marks that a puncture has been
sealed.

But these sealants are being sold as extending the life of tyres, some claim
they do this by keeping them cool, now correct me if i'm wrong, but heat is
something you need in a tyre to keep it sticking to the road, that's
especcialy true for motorcycles, more accidents happen on cold tyres than
hot ones,

Old May 9th 08, 06:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Colin Jackson[_2_]

I have just bought a 10 year old caravan.
Can you tell the age of a tyre from the lettering on the side?
If not, how does one tell the age?

Colin

Old May 9th 08, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
artleknock

http://www.pneus-online.co.uk/readin...gs-advice.html
Old May 9th 08, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Colin Jackson" cojack6ATbtinternetDOTcom wrote in message
I have just bought a 10 year old caravan.
Can you tell the age of a tyre from the lettering on the side?
If not, how does one tell the age?

see
http://www.towitall.co.uk/NTTA_law/trailers/tyres.htm
Every one has different view on changing tyres, CC seem to like us to spend
money, I get the Tyre Experts to examine mine. Remember those that say
change when a tyre is say 5 years old, should apply their rule from date
tyre made and not fitted. A tyre you get fitted might well have not been
made yesturday! It could have been made a while ago.

After the present towing mirror situation created by the CC I feel I can't
now always take what they say as in my best interests. I have been to my
caravan dealers who now find people not buying the mirrors they have. They
are expecting a big apology from the CC.

Please reply to News Group

Old May 9th 08, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

David wrote:

Every one has different view on changing tyres, CC seem to like us to spend
money, I get the Tyre Experts to examine mine.

Since the worry is the gradual and invisible deterioration of the
tyre materials, perhaps you can tell us exactly what techniques
your "Tyre Experts" use to evaluate this, and what state any tyre
was in when they have advised replacement.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.