selling caravan

Old May 10th 08, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart[_2_]

Default selling caravan

We hope to sell our caravan privately within a week or 2 and wonder what is
the safest method of ensuring that the payment received is genuine.
We could ask for cash but that is unlikely because of the amount, a personal
cheque is not really safe so what is there?
Anyone had experience or any good ideas?
Thank you

Old May 10th 08, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Stewart" wrote in message
We hope to sell our caravan privately within a week or 2 and wonder what
is the safest method of ensuring that the payment received is genuine.
We could ask for cash but that is unlikely because of the amount, a
personal cheque is not really safe so what is there?
Anyone had experience or any good ideas?
Thank you

Paid for cars and caravans with a counter cheque from bank/BS.

Please reply to News Group

Old May 10th 08, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Stewart wrote:

We hope to sell our caravan privately within a week or 2 and wonder
what is the safest method of ensuring that the payment received is
genuine. We could ask for cash but that is unlikely because of the
amount, a personal cheque is not really safe so what is there?
Anyone had experience or any good ideas? Thank you

We sold one to someone with a personal cheque. We waited until the
cheque cleared, and funds actually in our bank before allowing them to
take it away. This can take two weeks, though.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi 'Big and Butch'
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp "When I feel fit enough'
Old May 10th 08, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Paul - xxx was thinking very hard :
We sold one to someone with a personal cheque. We waited until the
cheque cleared, and funds actually in our bank before allowing them to
take it away. This can take two weeks, though.

Even that is not safe...

Even when the funds from the cheque have been cleared and are in your
bank, the bank may well later find that the personal cheque is a dud
and the funds taken back out.

Much safer is a counter cheque from a bank or BS and presenting that
cheque for validation at the place it was provided for validation.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old May 10th 08, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
Paul - xxx was thinking very hard :
We sold one to someone with a personal cheque. We waited until the
cheque cleared, and funds actually in our bank before allowing them to
take it away. This can take two weeks, though.

Even that is not safe...

Even when the funds from the cheque have been cleared and are in your
bank, the bank may well later find that the personal cheque is a dud
and the funds taken back out.

Much safer is a counter cheque from a bank or BS and presenting that
cheque for validation at the place it was provided for validation.

Sometimes referred to as Bankers Draft. Only accept from a known British
based bank/building society. If in doubt ring the bank to check the
validity.

There is a scam which comes around from time to time whereby you are
offered your asking price and more to ship overseas paid with an
overseas bankers draft.

It can be anything up to 6 months or so before you get the call from
your bank saying the overseas draft was stolen and they would like the
money back from your account.

--
hugh
Old May 10th 08, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel

"Stewart" wrote in message
We hope to sell our caravan privately within a week or 2 and wonder what

is
the safest method of ensuring that the payment received is genuine.
We could ask for cash but that is unlikely because of the amount, a

personal
cheque is not really safe so what is there?
Anyone had experience or any good ideas?
Thank you

If a sale is agreed, ask for a nominal non-returnable deposit in cash.

Then ask the purchaser to arrange with their bank to have the cash funds
available for withdrawal at a branch near you.

Accompany the purchaser to the bank and receive the cash.

Old May 10th 08, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham[_6_]

"Stewart" wrote in message
We hope to sell our caravan privately within a week or 2 and wonder what
is the safest method of ensuring that the payment received is genuine.
We could ask for cash but that is unlikely because of the amount, a
personal cheque is not really safe so what is there?
Anyone had experience or any good ideas?
Thank you

eBay and paypal. Other than that its the same as for second hand cars: CASH,
CASH, CASH and count it carefully before getting anywhere near letting them
hitch it up. If they are genuine, they will expect to be paying in cash and
if they don't volunteer cash, a genuine buyer should not object. Don't
accept anything else. Not even a bankers draft as they are forged all the
time. You have been warned.

Graham

Old May 10th 08, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart[_2_]

Thanks everyone; as commented on a cheque can clear but the bank can find
out some time later that there are not enough funds.
I am not sure about cash as we are looking for over 5000 and then you can
run into money laundering problems with the banks. I took a large amount of
cash into my own bank about 2 years ago and they were not happy to take it.
The advice you have given me will be helpful.

"Graham" wrote in message

"Stewart" wrote in message
We hope to sell our caravan privately within a week or 2 and wonder what

snip
snip

Old May 11th 08, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous[_2_]

"Stewart" wrote in message
Thanks everyone; as commented on a cheque can clear but the bank can find
out some time later that there are not enough funds.
I am not sure about cash as we are looking for over 5000 and then you can
run into money laundering problems with the banks. I took a large amount
of cash into my own bank about 2 years ago and they were not happy to take
it.
The advice you have given me will be helpful.

Most people who buy cars/caravans privately will expect to pay cash. I've
never had any problems paying it into my bank - in fact I've never even been
asked where it came from. Be sure to count it carefully though.

Neb

Old May 14th 08, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
howie

"Stewart" wrote in message
We hope to sell our caravan privately within a week or 2 and wonder what
is the safest method of ensuring that the payment received is genuine.
We could ask for cash but that is unlikely because of the amount, a
personal cheque is not really safe so what is there?
Anyone had experience or any good ideas?
Thank you

im surprised no ones mentioned a bank account transfer,this has to come out
of the buyers account into yours and obviously you check with your bank to
make sure its arrived - seems safer to me as its not like a cheque or a
possible forged bank draft and do you have the facilities to check 5000 quid
for forgeries ? im sure someone will put me right tho ;0)
Howie