New Tyres(not the same one as below)

Old May 10th 08, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hirem Firem

Default New Tyres(not the same one as below)

Just dropped my wheels of at a local dealer to get the tyres changed, the
guys there said they looked like normal car tyres (Dunlop India 175/13R 86)
no mention on them about a ply rating, it made me think.
They came with the van when it was new 7 years ago.
Any thoughts on this subject.

By the way it is an Elldis Firestorm 400/4

Cheers

Old May 10th 08, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 10 May 2008 17:47:22 +0100, "Hirem Firem"
wrote:

Just dropped my wheels of at a local dealer to get the tyres changed, the
guys there said they looked like normal car tyres (Dunlop India 175/13R 86)
no mention on them about a ply rating, it made me think.
They came with the van when it was new 7 years ago.
Any thoughts on this subject.

By the way it is an Elldis Firestorm 400/4

Cheers

Depends on the weight of the van, tyres have a weight code on the
sidewall. a couple of sites that will give you the info.
Bear in mind a car speads the tyre load over 4 wheels on a caravan
it's only 2 so you often need to fit commercial van tyres to achive
the max gross weight rating of the caravan,

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/sidewall.asp

http://www.dashdriving.com/tutorials/tyre-markings.htm

Lenny

Eurolites - the number one headlamp beam converter.
California Scents - Air Fresheners in a tin from the USA.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
Old May 10th 08, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

wrote:

Just dropped my wheels of at a local dealer to get the tyres changed, the
guys there said they looked like normal car tyres (Dunlop India 175/13R 86)
no mention on them about a ply rating, it made me think.
They came with the van when it was new 7 years ago.
Any thoughts on this subject.

By the way it is an Elldis Firestorm 400/4

Cheers

Depends on the weight of the van, tyres have a weight code on the
sidewall. a couple of sites that will give you the info.
Bear in mind a car speads the tyre load over 4 wheels on a caravan
it's only 2 so you often need to fit commercial van tyres to achive
the max gross weight rating of the caravan,

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/sidewall.asp

http://www.dashdriving.com/tutorials/tyre-markings.htm

Lenny

If the '86' is the load index that's good for 530 kg per tyre - 1060 per
axle. I suspect that you won't have much in hand!

As others have hinted get a van tyre that will physically fit and which
has as much of a margin on load capability as you can find.

Go to a 'proper' tyre dealer - it might be that the solution to your
problem is not another 175R13 which could be a 'car only' size. To get
the extra load margin you may need a different size but one which fits
the same physical envelope.
Old May 10th 08, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Hirem Firem" wrote in message
Just dropped my wheels of at a local dealer to get the tyres changed, the
guys there said they looked like normal car tyres (Dunlop India 175/13R
86) no mention on them about a ply rating, it made me think.
They came with the van when it was new 7 years ago.
Any thoughts on this subject.

By the way it is an Elldis Firestorm 400/4

Well in the other post you will see my post about car tyres on a caravan.
If you got caravan new you should have handbook/paperwork to tell you which
tyres you need.

Please reply to News Group