Water Pump Problem

Old May 10th 08, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tony h

Default Water Pump Problem

A bit of advice required, if possible.
I have an old bailey senator 6000, which uses a shurflo pump for the water.
As yet, no proper diagnosis has been possible, besides checking the fuses
(there maybe more that I don't know about?!), I will have a go with a
multimeter before doing anything drastic, My water has suddenly stopped
pumping, was OK a month or so ago when we went away for the weekend, now
caravan needed for work, and I have no pumped water, which is a shame as I
really like showering.

The question i need to ask is, if I find I have no voltage to the pump, is
there any reason why I can't just give the pump a new switched 12v feed from
the fusebox/battery? I could place an inline fuse along the way, though I
don't know what ampage, 15? I'm assuming that the pump senses pressure, and
only works when the pressure drops, so it should work?
Another question, anyone with the same/similar van know of any fuses besides
the ones under the bed near the pump?

Thank You

Tony

Old May 10th 08, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

tony h wrote:

[...]

'The pump has stopped pumping' - is the motor running or not?

If there is no voltage at the motor, before you go delving elsewhere,
check the motor for continuity and function (feed direct to motor). Be
aware of the possibility of a disconnected return (earth/ground)
connection. Once you know that the motor runs you can start
investigating the control side.
Old May 10th 08, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tony h

Dougal wrote:

'The pump has stopped pumping' - is the motor running or not?

If there is no voltage at the motor, before you go delving elsewhere,
check the motor for continuity and function (feed direct to motor). Be
aware of the possibility of a disconnected return (earth/ground)
connection. Once you know that the motor runs you can start
investigating the control side.

the motor is not running, i will be able to test voltage to the motor, and
function, next week, but as the caravan is not near home I need to be
prepared for a 'quick fix'. Ideally once I have a meter on the job I'll spot
a break or similar, testing the pump motor function is easy enough, I can
easily remove and shove straight onto the battery. My main concern is being
sure I have everything I need to get something working when I get there,
ideally without spending money on things i may not need, and also working
within the constraints of limited luggage, so I can't take lots of tools.
Hopefully I can fix things properly, but if I can't, am I correct that just
supplying a voltage to the motor should allow everything to work? does the
motor sense a pressure build up and stop pumping, or does another component
elsewhere switch the voltage to the motor?

Old May 11th 08, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy[_3_]

tony h said the following on 10/05/2008 22:18:
Dougal wrote:
[...]

Some / most systems have pressure switch in water supply usually adjustable
to suit varying supply voltages (10 - 14v approx (flattish battery - mains
charger on)) this is usually adjacent to the pump inlet so check power feed
to this as well as pump connectors on outside.

Roy

Old May 11th 08, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham[_6_]

"Dougal" wrote in message
. uk...
tony h wrote:

A bit of advice required, if possible.
I have an old bailey senator 6000, which uses a shurflo pump for the
water.
As yet, no proper diagnosis has been possible, besides checking the fuses
(there maybe more that I don't know about?!), I will have a go with a
multimeter before doing anything drastic, My water has suddenly stopped
pumping, was OK a month or so ago when we went away for the weekend, now
caravan needed for work, and I have no pumped water, which is a shame as
I really like showering.

The question i need to ask is, if I find I have no voltage to the pump,
is there any reason why I can't just give the pump a new switched 12v
feed from the fusebox/battery?

If it gets to that, there is no reason what you should not do that. Just
make sure the fuse is as close to the battery end of the wire as possible
(within an inch or two if possible). I find inline fuse holders are easiest.
I solder them, but I am pretty sure you can get crimp version if you don't
want to solder. Fuse it at around 10 amp, although the pump is unlikely to
take more than 5amp even when starting up and probably about 3amp when
running. If you have bare body metal available at the pump end use the body
for the negative side. Finally use fairly think wire, say about 2-4mm
overall
diameter. It doesn't need it for the current flowing, but the insulation is
nice and thick and less likely to get damaged on the cable run. Places in my
campervan have thin wires going to lights and things. That is fine in theory
for the current flowing, but they are a bit thin for a vehicle with sharp
edges to metalwork and don't survive much pulling when being fitted. Have
you tried giving the pump a GENTLE clout with a hammer?

Hope some of this helps
Regards Graham

Old May 11th 08, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tony h

Graham wrote:
Have you tried giving the
pump a GENTLE clout with a hammer?

I have 2 pumps, independently switched, though from the same live feed,
neither is working, so wiring is almost certainly to blame, somewhere. Just
got to trace it, or bodge it

Old May 11th 08, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham[_6_]

"tony h" wrote in message
Graham wrote:
Have you tried giving the
pump a GENTLE clout with a hammer?

I have 2 pumps, independently switched, though from the same live feed,
neither is working, so wiring is almost certainly to blame, somewhere.
Just got to trace it, or bodge it

The most common thing that happens is the negative wire from the pump to the
bodywork goes high resistance with corrosion. When I got my van the leisure
battery neg connection to the body was corroded and that caused all sort of
problems for the camper stuff. Battery couldn't get charged properly and not
a decent connection to equipment it was trying to power so componded the
problems.

Agree its unlikely both your pumps have failed but just sticking 12 volts on
each of them would confirm they are working before getting more technical
with the problem.

Regards
Graham