Black streaks

Old May 15th 08, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T[_2_]

Default Black streaks

I clean the van and polish with Autoglm which is fine.The problem is I get
dark or black streaks running down from the windows I assume from the
rubbers.Is there a cure for this or just a sign of detioration in the rubber
itself.
Tks

Old May 15th 08, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
R A

I hope you can get an answer as I asked this one a while ago, it cant be
deterioration as I have it on a brand new van, cars don't do this so why do
caravans :-(

Rob

Old May 15th 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Pleavin[_2_]

As far as I know every caravan gets these streaks and it is nothing to do
with the rubber deteriorating. However, there is one way of minimising the
streaks and that is to buy a special (yellow?) fabric which is attached to a
length of awning edging and, when threaded through the awning rail, will
stop all the streaks that emanate from the top of the van itself. I can't
remember what it is called but I have seen it on sale at Catterick caravans
up in Yorkshire and I have seen a caravan arrive on site with it in situ.

Old May 18th 08, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry[_5_]

"Capt T" wrote in message
I clean the van and polish with Autoglm which is fine.The problem is I
get dark or black streaks running down from the windows I assume from the
rubbers.Is there a cure for this or just a sign of detioration in the
rubber itself.
Tks

I think you will find that the streaks emanate from the sealant in the
joints, the oil seems to leach out.
A wipe with a rag with a little, repeat little white spirit usually wipes it
off.
Barry

Old May 19th 08, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham[_5_]

"Capt T" wrote in message
I clean the van and polish with Autoglm which is fine.The problem is I get
dark or black streaks running down from the windows I assume from the
rubbers.Is there a cure for this or just a sign of detioration in the
rubber itself.
Tks

I gused to get this down the whole side of the van and not just under the
rubber window seals. The answer for me was to use Fenwicks Over Wintering (I
leave it on all year round). Try ebay number 180116514208. Its reduced the
streaks by 95% as it leaves a slightly waxy film that makes it difficult for
dirt and grime to attach to. The streaks are mostly caused by dirt on my
roof running down the side of van when it rains.

Graham

Old May 20th 08, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
g6zru

On 19 May, 22:20, "Graham" wrote:
"Capt T" wrote in message

I clean the van and polish with Autoglm which is fine.The problem is I get
dark or black streaks running down from the windows I assume from the
rubbers.Is there a cure for this or just a sign of detioration in the
rubber itself.
Tks

I gused to get this down the whole side of the van and not just under the
rubber window seals. The answer for me was to use Fenwicks Over Wintering (I
leave it on all year round). Try ebay number 180116514208. Its reduced the
streaks by 95% as it leaves a slightly waxy film that makes it difficult for
dirt and grime to attach to. The streaks are mostly caused by dirt on my
roof running down the side of van when it rains.

Graham

A simple way of eliminating black streaks from the roof is to drop
long cable ties with the thick end into the gutter drain holes and
adjust the jockey wheel so that there is a slight angle towards the
end you want it to drain from. In my case I have them fitted to the
rear drain holes, any rain will then run down the cable tie and away
from the caravan body.
I can't claim the credit for this, it was a tip from the UK Eriba
Forum see hehttp://www.eribaforum.co.uk/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?
pid=12356;hl=black%20streaks#pid12356

Fred
Old May 21st 08, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul U

"g6zru" wrote in message

A simple way of eliminating black streaks from the roof is to drop
long cable ties with the thick end into the gutter drain holes and
adjust the jockey wheel so that there is a slight angle towards the
end you want it to drain from. In my case I have them fitted to the
rear drain holes, any rain will then run down the cable tie and away
from the caravan body.

If you have a newish Bailey, you don't have any gutters!
--
Paul
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

Old May 21st 08, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
R A

I was thinking that, I have a new bailey but the water does come of the roof
down the side of the van near the front so I'll going to see if I can rig
something up using the awning rail, worth a try, thanks for the advise.

Rob