Do you have air bed problems?

Old May 15th 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dribbler[_2_]

Default Do you have air bed problems?

We're going mad with puncturing air beds - have you found a decent one?
Our self assembly double bed in the van is so hard, we find it almost
impossible to sleep on. Hence we always put an air bed on the top of it
which works very well for 6-8 nights only before the punctures start.
Unfortunately, last season we got through 4 of the things and following only
two weekends away this year (and a new 49 double), we're punctured again.
Of course we try putting patches on them, but without fail the things let us
down after a couple of hours.
Last year we even tried one of those double layer big settees (75) which
was great for two nights only - ever tried sticking patches on that velour?
Well we can't get them to stay put even though instructions were followed to
the letter.
I must say at this point, we are two average sized adults who simply want to
sleep on the darned things - no more, no less. We are very careful not to
over fill them too.
Now he's on about filling them with that white stuff he fills his bike tyres
with! HELP!

Have you had the same problem and how have you resolved it?

Thank you for your help,
Dribbler (aka Kay)

Old May 15th 08, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Out Of Africa

"Dribbler" wrote in message
[...]

.......have wild uninhibited sex?

Now he's on about filling them with that white stuff he fills his bike
tyres with! HELP!

If he really *is* filling his cycle tyres with 'the white stuff', then
you're right! - help is needed, and it's needed immediately!

We live in an extremely permissive society, it's ue - but he'll end up in
Broadmoor if this goes one!

Old May 15th 08, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dribbler[_2_]

"Out Of Africa" wrote in message

"Dribbler" wrote in message
[...]

------------------
You are very naughty. Post-puncture liquid tyre sealant is the white stuff I
meant ;-)

Dribbler

Old May 16th 08, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dudley Simons

Dribbler wrote:
[...]

Easy solution - don't buy the velour air beds. Is yours the kind of
thing that is made by JML and sold in Wilkinsons etc? About a tenner each?

Buy a rubber based air bed - Argos used to do them, they are normally
blue, red or blue and red. Ideally you want the box sided version, I
find I am less prone to rolling off of them! They look like an old
fashioned lilo but made of rubber coated cotton (cotton on the outside!)

If you sleep in sleeping bags they are fine, if you use blankets/duvet,
put a thick blanket over the air bed first then a cotton sheet otherwise
you'll sweat to death in the night!

All of the light weight air beds and air mattresses that I have seen of
late have looked pretty naf and likely to split fairly easily. The
rubber/cotton airbeds are quite heavy and usually more expensive in
comparrison but they last for years - even when folded up. Ideally you
need to put a bit of talc into the air bed once a year just to keep the
inside coated and stop it from perishing. That said we have one that
hasn't been treated for years and that still holds air ok. When we are
camping I find I need to top up the air bed to keep it at the degree of
firmness that I like every 4 days.

regards

Dudley
Old May 16th 08, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

On 16 May, 09:21, Dudley Simons wrote:
Dribbler wrote:
[...]

We have no problem with the cushions in our Avondale, but friends with
similar difficulties to yours have purchased
some memory foam about 4-6 ins thick, and use that on top of the
standard mattress.
Old May 16th 08, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dribbler[_2_]

"Dudley Simons" wrote in message
Dribbler wrote:
We're going mad with puncturing air beds - have you found a decent one?

cut

--------------------
[...]

---------------
Thank you Dudley, now I know where we're going wrong. We have always paid
around the 50 mark, but they have been been vinyl with that velvety
flocking on the top. I've looked at the Argos and John Lewis range; Aerobed
seems to be the make they favour. However, they don't look like the
rubber/cotton type.
Is this what you mean?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...ATABLE+BED.htm
I'd love to know the name/make of your one please, we're off this weekend
and we're dreading another two sleepless nights.
Thank you,
Kay

Old May 16th 08, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark Pewsey

"Lunar475" wrote in message
snipped

We have no problem with the cushions in our Avondale, but friends with
similar difficulties to yours have purchased
some memory foam about 4-6 ins thick, and use that on top of the
standard mattress.

I also use memory foam - works a treat. Stuff we've got is only an inch or
two thick but it's amazing the difference

Old May 16th 08, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dudley Simons

Dribbler wrote:
[...]

this is the one you want

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...%3EAIR+BED.htm

the real trick to a good noghts sleep on one - other than putting a
blanket over it to stop you sweating, is to get the pressure just right.
Start hard and deflate slowly - true for so many things in life ;o)

regards

Dudley
Old May 16th 08, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dudley Simons

Dribbler wrote:
[...]

oh and one other thing - not sure if you are using a double or two
singles. Two singles is by far the better way to go as it avoids the
trampolining effect of a well inflated double!
Old May 18th 08, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dribbler[_2_]

-----------
this is the one you want
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...%3EAIR+BED.htm

the real trick to a good noghts sleep on one - other than putting a
blanket over it to stop you sweating, is to get the pressure just right.
Start hard and deflate slowly - true for so many things in life ;o)
oh and one other thing - not sure if you are using a double or two
singles. Two singles is by far the better way to go as it avoids the
trampolining effect of a well inflated double!

Dudley

Hello Dudley,
Thank you very much indeed for the link to Argos's rubberised single. I
think you are right about having two singles and that's exactly what I'll
buy from Argos come Monday morning.
Many, many thanks for your help and advice,
Kay