CLs and CSs how come the 5 rule is not 5 rule?

Old May 17th 08, 04:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Darren[_2_]

Default CLs and CSs how come the 5 rule is not 5 rule?

Been looking at some small CLs and CSs on the CCC and CC books list
and I have visited a few this year. Not one has been 5 caravans only!
Many sites have a small section for 5 vehicles, but then another field
for 10 or 20 vehicles and one site said the rule was 5 caravans and 5
motorhomes!

So what's that all about?
Old May 17th 08, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Darren" wrote in message
news
Been looking at some small CLs and CSs on the CCC and CC books list
and I have visited a few this year. Not one has been 5 caravans only!
Many sites have a small section for 5 vehicles, but then another field
for 10 or 20 vehicles and one site said the rule was 5 caravans and 5
motorhomes!

So what's that all about?

If site is big enough do not bother and if its safe.
If you report to CC they will cancel the CL and we then loose out.
It might be the site owner has permision from local authority for more
caravans, separate, think these are 28 days but not sure.

Please reply to News Group

Old May 17th 08, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy[_3_]

Darren said the following on 17/05/2008 05:23:
Been looking at some small CLs and CSs on the CCC and CC books list
and I have visited a few this year. Not one has been 5 caravans only!
Many sites have a small section for 5 vehicles, but then another field
for 10 or 20 vehicles and one site said the rule was 5 caravans and 5
motorhomes!

So what's that all about?

Owners being greedy - One site visited recently was using the CL for free
CC advertising for his small commercial site next door - rang to make a
booking / see if there was space on the CL, told no but he had space on his
other site, turned up, CL empty!!!

Roy
Old May 17th 08, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

Darren wrote in
news
and I have visited a few this year. Not one has been 5 caravans only!
Many sites have a small section for 5 vehicles, but then another field
for 10 or 20 vehicles and one site said the rule was 5 caravans and 5
motorhomes!

So what's that all about?

According to someone who operates a C&CC CS, the five unit rule applies to
caravans and motorhomes, but not to tents. They told me they can have up to
five "rigid units", i.e. caravans, motorhomes, or trailer tents, plus an
unlimited number of tents.

The only site I've seen that had a small area for 5 'vans and a much larger
main site was Greenhill in the New Forest. They're a commercial site with a
CS "tacked on" to it. Perhaps the remainder are similar?

I've also seen a site where different portions of the same land were used
by two operators, each operating a CS or CL. This let them have up to ten
'vans. I'm not sure about "5 caravans and 5 motorhomes" unless the site was
operated as two 5-van certified sites (say) one by the CC and the other by
a motorhome club.

That said, perhaps the operators are "bending the rules", and provided they
don't get caught and the facilities are adequate, is the addition of a few
"unofficial" pitches in the area a bad thing when most areas have a
shortage?

Geoff
Old May 17th 08, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Darren[_2_]

On Sat, 17 May 2008 08:14:00 +0100, "David"
wrote:

"Darren" wrote in message
news
Been looking at some small CLs and CSs on the CCC and CC books list
and I have visited a few this year. Not one has been 5 caravans only!
Many sites have a small section for 5 vehicles, but then another field
for 10 or 20 vehicles and one site said the rule was 5 caravans and 5
motorhomes!

So what's that all about?

If site is big enough do not bother and if its safe.

You wont know that til you get there and then it's too late.

If you report to CC they will cancel the CL and we then loose out.

Not really sure that is fair and if we don't complain it brings the
entire CL/CS list in to disrepute and one of the main reasons for
joining the clubs invalid. These sites who want to bend the rules
should use other forms of advertising where they can be honest. Such
as the excellent http://www.caravancampingsites.co.uk/ ?

If I book a 5CL hideaway I don't expect to get there and be stuck on
the edge of a camping park! That said I decided to look at a few CL/CS
in the Norfolk area. I then put the names of the farms etc in google
and invariably come up with the same kind of tricks, huge sites with
all the facilities!

Shame on them.
Old May 17th 08, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Darren[_2_]

On Sat, 17 May 2008 02:36:33 -0500, Geoff Lane
wrote:

Darren wrote in
news
[...]

I have nothing against unofficial pitches as long as they are honest
in the description. If I book a quiet 5cl, after a 3 hour drive that's
what I expect to find.

Not sure I'd bother complaining to the big fat clubs CCC/CC anyway, do
they really care I wonder?

Old May 17th 08, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
homerh[_2_]

you can always do the next best thing and take a look from google earth and
you will get a much better idea of the layout etc and you will then be free
to make a better choice.
news

Old May 17th 08, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Geoff Lane wrote:
Darren wrote in
news

[...]

They are not bending the rules, just using them.

If one puts aside those few who do break the 5 'van rule for a CL, I
think that you will find that the others are playing by the book.

It is not one site with more than 5 'vans, but two. One, only, is the
CL: the other will be commercial.

There are some rules on which I don't claim to be an expert but the main
ones are that that two sites should not share any facilities - water,
sewage disposal etc.. If the two sites are part of a sufficiently large
holding the council will usually permit it.

It does in my view, however, rather go against the whole idea of a CL if
the two sites are not physically separated by a considerable distance.

Old May 24th 08, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Sat, 17 May 2008 05:23:46 +0100, Darren
wrote:

Been looking at some small CLs and CSs on the CCC and CC books list
and I have visited a few this year. Not one has been 5 caravans only!
Many sites have a small section for 5 vehicles, but then another field
for 10 or 20 vehicles and one site said the rule was 5 caravans and 5
motorhomes!

So what's that all about?

Well, I've also come across many that appear to exceed the 5 limit.
Apparently I'm told, some are granted permission for a higher number
than 5 by their local authority. But in several cases that I know of,
only 5 'vans were actually being used at any one time. The excess
were technically in storage, having been left there by their
owners(regular visitors to the sites) to save towing away and back
again as they would be using their 'vans several times in the same
place throughout the year.

Personally, I don't have a problem there being more than 5 'vans on a
CS/CL, they're still very good value, and IME always quieter than
being on a commercial site.

Neil