Folding Bikes

Old May 18th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T[_2_]

Default Folding Bikes

Can anyone recommend a budget priced Folding Mountain Bike?

Old May 18th 08, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cycling
Geoff Lane[_2_]

Cross posted to uk.rec.cycling because people on there probably know a lot
more about folding bikes than do most caravanners. Follow-up set to
uk.rec.caravanning ...

"Capt T" wrote in news:[email protected]
2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

Can anyone recommend a budget priced Folding Mountain Bike?

Depends what you want the MTB for, why you want a folder, and what you
consider to be "budget priced".

If the MTB is for more than the odd forestry gravel track, I wouldn't get a
cheap folder (because it might fold when I didn't want it to). Dahon do
some nice folders, but they are not what I expect you'd call "budget-
priced".

If you only want a folder to get it inside a caravan, and have ten minutes
assembly time once you're on site, you could take the wheels off, turn the
handlebars, collapse the seatpost, remove the pedals, and then cover the
transmission to protect the caravan furnishings. Of course, if you want to
carry the bike around (say, on a train), partial dismantling isn't an
option.

However, I'm hoping that someone on uk.rec.cycling can come up with much
better advice than I can give.

Geoff
Old May 19th 08, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cycling
vernon

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
7.64...
Cross posted to uk.rec.cycling because people on there probably know a lot
more about folding bikes than do most caravanners. Follow-up set to
uk.rec.caravanning ...

"Capt T" wrote in news:[email protected]
2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

Can anyone recommend a budget priced Folding Mountain Bike?

Depends what you want the MTB for, why you want a folder, and what you
consider to be "budget priced".

If the MTB is for more than the odd forestry gravel track, I wouldn't get
cheap folder (because it might fold when I didn't want it to). Dahon do
some nice folders, but they are not what I expect you'd call "budget-
priced".

However, I'm hoping that someone on uk.rec.cycling can come up with much
better advice than I can give.

Geoff

A quick Google for folding mountain bike yielded this as a first link
http://campervanaccessories.co.uk/sp...age-p-172.html

I wouldnt trust it as there's too many features for its paltry price of 129

It is a cheap and nasty bike with a hinge and full suspension. It might
just fold when you least expect it.

I've looked at some of the other offerings and would not recommend them to
anyone I liked...

I do not think that there's such as thing as a budget priced /durable/
folding mountain bike.

Old May 20th 08, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T[_2_]

Thanks Geoff will refer accross to uk rec cycling.
My thoughts are for a muck about bike , not serious, that i could sling in
the boot drive to out town parking say and cycle to city centres or as you
say a pleasant cycle through a wood on a gravel footpath. You see sometimes
offers in mags or large shops for such things.

The small wheeled ones of which there are plenty feel very unsteady to me
and a bit too flexible.
Tks Andy

Old May 20th 08, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Capt T" wrote in message
Thanks Geoff will refer accross to uk rec cycling.
My thoughts are for a muck about bike , not serious, that i could sling in
the boot drive to out town parking say and cycle to city centres or as you
say a pleasant cycle through a wood on a gravel footpath. You see
sometimes offers in mags or large shops for such things.

The small wheeled ones of which there are plenty feel very unsteady to me
and a bit too flexible.

And you'd feel every bump. the bigger the wheels the smoother the ride -
that's why we still haven't acquired any folding bikes :-(

Mary