Cycle carriers

Old May 24th 08, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

Default Cycle carriers

Hi all,
I have been looking at the cycle carrier that fastens on the towing ball
with a spring loaded clamp for sale at Towsure's at 19-99p
Has anyone had any experiance of this type of carrier? and are they any
good?
Thanks in advance

lofty

Old May 25th 08, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

"lofty" wrote in
news
Has anyone had any experiance of this type of carrier? and are they any
good?

I have a Paddy Hopkirk clamp-on rack that works on the same principle. It
was OK-ish on my Volvos but it's no good on either of my current vehicles
because one has a rear-mounted spare wheel and the other is a slab-backed
van.

That said, I do use mine as a workstand in conjunction with a towball
bolted to my workbench. It's not as good as a proper bike workstand, but it
does get the bike off the floor to let me work on it without getting cramp
in my legs! It's also solid enough to let me use a lot of force on stubborn
pedals, cranks, etc. or even use a hammer at times.

On the downside, like all hanging carriers, the bikes flop around. On mine
I strapped the bikes against the carrier uprights and used pipe insulation
foam tube to protect the bits that rub together. Again on the downside, you
can't tow with this rack fitted.

So, if the Maypole one that Towsure sell is as good as the one I have, IMO
it's a good piece of kit as hanging carriers go - but I still prefer wheel
support carriers.

HTH,

Geoff
Old May 25th 08, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
7.64...
"lofty" wrote in
news
[...]

Thanks for the info

lofty

Old October 30th 08, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Firebucket

I have just got the 'other' model from Towsure, the one that bolts to the
towbar behind the towball, it works just fine, like the other post said, the
bikes do wobble if not strapped down firmly,but a couple of straps and a
bungee sorts it, and you can still tow with it fitted. cheers
news