Dehumidifier

Old May 25th 08, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham[_5_]

Default Dehumidifier

Just wondered if I am the only one who has a humidity meter in my campervan
and leaves a dehumidifier on inside most of the year. I don't hear much talk
about it and wondered if anyone else does the same?

In winter the humidity meter creeps up to 100% without the dehumidifier
running and I expect the upholstery would not stay in good condition like
that for many years. What I would really like is a garage, but not many
about with the height clearance (nearly 9 feet).

Graham

Old May 31st 08, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr Sandman

"Graham" wrote in message
Just wondered if I am the only one who has a humidity meter in my
campervan and leaves a dehumidifier on inside most of the year. I don't
hear much talk about it and wondered if anyone else does the same?

In winter the humidity meter creeps up to 100% without the dehumidifier
running and I expect the upholstery would not stay in good condition like
that for many years. What I would really like is a garage, but not many
about with the height clearance (nearly 9 feet).

Graham

I'm using a Dehumidifier to dry out my vans damp, before I seal it all up
nice and dry. for example, I have a leaky roof light and the ceiling
wallpaper that must be waterproof and held in the damp. I have used old
screws to hold the paper away from the wood. I have also masking taped up
all the ventilation vents I can find.

I have it switched on full, so I doesn't turn off, and is keeping the inside
nice and warm.

Steve

Old May 31st 08, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham[_5_]

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
et...

"Graham" wrote in message
[...]

When you say "seal it all up nice and dry", are you intending to seal all
ventilation. This won't work. There will always be moisture in the air
inside the caravan. As a minimum, it needs ventilation to stop damp, high
humidity and condensation. I still think leaving a dehumidifier on 24/7 all
year and keeping the van interior to around 60% is a good idea to keep the
wood and upholstery in good nick. Especially if the van is not being used
like mine. If not convinced, but a cheap humidity meter. Plenty on ebay and
all garden centres have them. At least then you will see if it needs the
dehumidifier or not. This time of year its probably ok without it, but in
winter it can get to 100% inside.

Graham

Old June 1st 08, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr Sandman

"Graham" wrote in message

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
et...

"Graham" wrote in message
[...]

Graham, I meant I seal it up so the dehumidifier is not dehumidifying the
earth! Its pointless trying to dehumidify a caravan without sealing all
openings first. When drying out a caravan, I force the dehumidifier on full
i.e. not humidity dependant. This creates enough warmth to encourage the
moisture out of the walls for the dehumidifier to extract it. My van is
drying out really well, after 3 days dehumidifying...the dehumidiyer only
uses 200wats so is cheaper to run than a fan heater too.

Steve

Old June 1st 08, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham[_5_]

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
et...

"Graham" wrote in message

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
et...

"Graham" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I agree about not dehumidifying the outside air. Mine has a few gaps,
but of course it needs a bit of ventilation too. I think we are doing
different things though as I am not drying out my van (actually a
campervan), just keeping the humidity constant and as close to indoors
atmosphere as possible. IE around 60%. Of course it starts by quickly
reducing the humidity in the air inside the van and after a few weeks this
slowly lets the wood, upholstery and everything else reach the same
humidity. I don't like things drying out too fast as wood tends to warp,
especially when a lot of heat is used from say a fan heater. So I am doing
things in the very long term, months/years, not just a few days. Mine will
always be fighting against a little outside air, but the upshot is the
interior humidity is around 60% and that keeps everything nice and free from
risk of mould or dampness.

My original post was prompted by never hearing much talk about using
dehumidifiers all year around (especially winter) and that surprised me as
with the wall construction of caravans, I would have thought it was even
more important than with my campervan. I have thick (2-3 inches) walls with
loft type insulation in them, but not the sandwich construction of caravans.
Its interesting that when I go away and use my campervan, the humidity meter
takes much longer to get to high levels with sleeping, cooking, weather etc.
This must be because the wood and upholstery is already nice and dry (60%)
as opposed to a van that has just been sitting there at higher humidity. For
the small cost of running the dehumidifier, its money well spent in my
opinion.

Graham

Old June 1st 08, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr Sandman

[...]

When its just sensing the humidity, its not using much power at all, and if
it only turns on a couple of times a week for a couple of hours, then its
hardly costing anything all, so its worth doing if you have one sitting
around....but make sure you cover as many vents as poss.

Steve

Old June 6th 08, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Sun, 25 May 2008 15:34:20 +0100, "Graham"
wrote:

Just wondered if I am the only one who has a humidity meter in my campervan
and leaves a dehumidifier on inside most of the year. I don't hear much talk
about it and wondered if anyone else does the same?

In winter the humidity meter creeps up to 100% without the dehumidifier
running and I expect the upholstery would not stay in good condition like
that for many years. What I would really like is a garage, but not many
about with the height clearance (nearly 9 feet).

Graham

I have used a dehumidifier in my caravans for quite a few years now,
during periods between use, mainly in the winter and early spring. I
haven't used a hygrometer though! I have the DH on a time switch and
on its humidistat, so it's not on permanently. I agree it's very
effective at keeping the inside nice and dry and all the fabrics feel
warm to the touch. While the DH is in use, I seal up all the
ventilation holes and the roof lights so that I'm keeping the dry air
in and the cold, damp air out. This way the DH initially collects a
large amount of moisture when first brought into use following a
period of habitation. Then the amount of water being collected
diminishes significantly after about a week.

The DH is an old Ebac Humidex 7(ancient) which I bought second-hand
about 16 or more years ago for 40. I keep repairing the fan motor
and it works as well now as when I first bought it.

Neil