Radio Aerials

Old May 29th 08, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Default Radio Aerials

My Lunar Stellar caravan came equipped with a radio aerial which
looks like this
http://www.towsure.com/product/2145-...e_Radio_Aerial

And I have fitted an old car radio/CD player in the housing
provided. (Worked very well in my car)

I have no idea if the aerial actually includes an amplifier, or
if so, where it takes its feed from, (or indeed if it is
functioning) but its performance is not great.

What experience have others had?

The van is also fitted with the usual Status omni-directional TV
aerial, which appears to have an FM output. I could, with a bit
of woodwork, run a cable from here to the radio. Is this
something anybody else has tried - was it successful?

Testing on my drive will probably not tell me much, as I have
quite a good signal at home, and research projects might not be
popular on vacation ;-).

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old May 29th 08, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Chris J Dixon was thinking very hard :
My Lunar Stellar caravan came equipped with a radio aerial which
looks like this
http://www.towsure.com/product/2145-...e_Radio_Aerial

And I have fitted an old car radio/CD player in the housing
provided. (Worked very well in my car)

I have no idea if the aerial actually includes an amplifier, or
if so, where it takes its feed from, (or indeed if it is
functioning) but its performance is not great.

According to the URL you provided, it does include a booster. The thin
red wire provides the +ve supply and the -ve is probably via the
antenna cables outer screen or a fixing screw.

As the unit will draw some current all the time, I would expect there
to be a switch somewhere to turn it off when not in use.

What experience have others had?

The van is also fitted with the usual Status omni-directional TV
aerial, which appears to have an FM output. I could, with a bit
of woodwork, run a cable from here to the radio. Is this
something anybody else has tried - was it successful?

Status antennas are a bit of a compromise anyway, but might be fine for
local radio reception. We have one, but it is generally of little use
where we tend to go. We now only bother with a satellite system which
provides perfect reception and includes radio anyway.

Testing on my drive will probably not tell me much, as I have
quite a good signal at home, and research projects might not be
popular on vacation ;-).

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old May 30th 08, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry[_5_]

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
[...]

I have one of these and as the previous reply states it does include an
amplifier. Many radio sets like mine have a feed for an automatic antenna
and that is the best place to plug the red lead into, itis therefore only on
when the radio is on.
Mine is actually inside the locker behind the radio ( not on the outside of
the van) and gives me good FM reception, I cannot recall ever being on a
site in the UK where it did not give me an adequate signal.
Barry

Old May 30th 08, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Barry wrote:

I have one of these and as the previous reply states it does include an
amplifier. Many radio sets like mine have a feed for an automatic antenna
and that is the best place to plug the red lead into, itis therefore only on
when the radio is on.
Mine is actually inside the locker behind the radio ( not on the outside of
the van) and gives me good FM reception, I cannot recall ever being on a
site in the UK where it did not give me an adequate signal.

Dawn of realisation :-)

So that's why there was a separate cable simply identified as DC+
in the radio housing area. Looks like I better connect it up and
see if it works with some power on it.

Chris

Old May 30th 08, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Dawn of realisation :-)

So that's why there was a separate cable simply identified as DC+
in the radio housing area. Looks like I better connect it up and
see if it works with some power on it.

To follow myself up, I made the power connection, but there
wasn't much change. However, though illogical, I discovered
accidentally that I got a much better signal with the aerial
connector only plugged part way into the radio. Time will tell.

Chris

Old May 30th 08, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
g6zru

On 30 May, 13:17, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Dawn of realisation :-)

So that's why there was a separate cable simply identified as DC+
in the radio housing area. Looks like I better connect it up and
see if it works with some power on it.

To follow myself up, I made the power connection, but there
wasn't much change. However, though illogical, I discovered
accidentally that I got a much better signal with the aerial
connector only plugged part way into the radio. Time will tell.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

That certainly does suggest that there is no power going to the
booster and the radio is picking up the signal on the cable only.
Old May 30th 08, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Chris J Dixon formulated the question :
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Dawn of realisation :-)

So that's why there was a separate cable simply identified as DC+
in the radio housing area. Looks like I better connect it up and
see if it works with some power on it.

To follow myself up, I made the power connection, but there
wasn't much change. However, though illogical, I discovered
accidentally that I got a much better signal with the aerial
connector only plugged part way into the radio. Time will tell.

Chris

Which might seem to indicate that it is faulty and/or the screen and/or
ground connection for the antenna is lacking.

Old May 31st 08, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

and Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Which might seem to indicate that it is faulty and/or the screen and/or
ground connection for the antenna is lacking.

Yes, that does seem to be the logical conclusion. I have
measured, and can confirm that the wire for the booster power
supply is now being energised, at the supply end.

As far as I can see, the screen makes contact with the radio
socket first, and the signal is good. When pressed further in,
as the centre pin makes contact, the signal degrades. I suppose
I could take a few measurements with my DMM. Does anybody know
what resistance I should expect on a healthy unit between any
pair of pin, screen and power lead?

I guess the return path for the amplifier current is via the
screen?

Any other suggested tests?

Chris