Jockey wheels

Old June 6th 08, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
terrys

Default Jockey wheels

Hi all
I have been having a bit of trouble moving my caravan into place on sites
recently not sure if it is old age or not... particularly on hard standing
gravelly pitchs... could it be my jockey wheel which is much narrower than
others that I have noticed. Would a fatter jockey wheel make much
difference. Any ideas?
thanks for your advice.

terrys

Old June 6th 08, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hirem Firem

"terrys" wrote in message
Hi all
I have been having a bit of trouble moving my caravan into place on sites
recently not sure if it is old age or not... particularly on hard standing
gravelly pitchs... could it be my jockey wheel which is much narrower than
others that I have noticed. Would a fatter jockey wheel make much
difference. Any ideas?
thanks for your advice.

terrys

Hi Terrys, I have found an inflatible wheel a lot easier to handle than the
solid plastic ones you find on most vans, also I have never looked back
since I fitted a motor mover by Powrtouch.
Stan

Old June 7th 08, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Hirem Firem" wrote in message news:spj2k.77223
Hi Terrys, I have found an inflatible wheel a lot easier to handle than
the solid plastic ones you find on most vans, also I have never looked
back since I fitted a motor mover by Powrtouch.
Stan

I agree the inflatable tyre an improvement but I find they puncture very
quickly, think they are not of good quaulity.
I both an al-ko jockey wheel woth a measure built in to give nose weight not
cheap but good. It has a wide flat wheel and so I can recommend wide flat
wheels, I also have a motor mover fitted.
You can't readily get this Al-ko accessory at dealers you buy from Al-ko web
site, approx 70 from dealer if he will get it at least 80. ( 50 in
Europe, so sorry it rip off UK again.)

Please reply to News Group

Old June 8th 08, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

terrys wrote:

Hi all
I have been having a bit of trouble moving my caravan into place on
sites recently not sure if it is old age or not... particularly on
hard standing gravelly pitchs... could it be my jockey wheel which is
much narrower than others that I have noticed. Would a fatter jockey
wheel make much difference. Any ideas?
thanks for your advice.

terrys

Unless you have a built-in motor mover, it's preferable IMHO to position it
while still attached to the towcar - then it doesn't matter what sort of
jockey wheel you have.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old June 8th 08, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
terrys wrote:

Hi all
I have been having a bit of trouble moving my caravan into place on
sites recently not sure if it is old age or not... particularly on
hard standing gravelly pitchs... could it be my jockey wheel which is
much narrower than others that I have noticed. Would a fatter jockey
wheel make much difference. Any ideas?
thanks for your advice.

terrys

Unless you have a built-in motor mover, it's preferable IMHO to position
it while still attached to the towcar - then it doesn't matter what sort
of jockey wheel you have.

Oh I think it does! Having tried both I'd always prefer a fat tyre
especially if moving on a loose surface or on a slope.

Mary

Old June 8th 08, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
terrys

t...

terrys wrote:

Hi all
I have been having a bit of trouble moving my caravan into place on
sites recently not sure if it is old age or not... particularly on
hard standing gravelly pitchs... could it be my jockey wheel which is
much narrower than others that I have noticed. Would a fatter jockey
wheel make much difference. Any ideas?
thanks for your advice.

terrys

Unless you have a built-in motor mover, it's preferable IMHO to position
it while still attached to the towcar - then it doesn't matter what sort
of jockey wheel you have.

Oh I think it does! Having tried both I'd always prefer a fat tyre
especially if moving on a loose surface or on a slope.

Mary

Thanks for all your advice... at the moment I have a really thin jockey
wheel and it sometimes sinks into the surface when manoevering. I really
think I should get a fatter wheel.

Terrys

Old June 8th 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"terrys" wrote in message

Thanks for all your advice... at the moment I have a really thin jockey
wheel and it sometimes sinks into the surface when manoevering.

Quite.

I really think I should get a fatter wheel.

Do. Our pneumatic one is fine, it's never punctured. Nice tread on it too.

Mary

Old June 8th 08, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 11:53:12 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Unless you have a built-in motor mover, it's preferable IMHO to position
it while still attached to the towcar - then it doesn't matter what sort
of jockey wheel you have.

Oh I think it does! Having tried both I'd always prefer a fat tyre
especially if moving on a loose surface or on a slope.

But Mary when the caravan is connected to the car and remains that way
until the caravan is in the position that you want the Jockey wheel
never comes into contact with the ground until you use it to level
front to back, so it does not matter what sort of jockey wheel you
have. Personally I will never try to manhandle a caravan, if I can not
push it or pull it into place with the car then I will go somewhere
else. It would be different if the caravan was fitted with a mover
then the type of jockey wheel makes a difference.
Bill Lord

Old June 8th 08, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
terrys

wrote:

Unless you have a built-in motor mover, it's preferable IMHO to position
it while still attached to the towcar - then it doesn't matter what sort
of jockey wheel you have.

Oh I think it does! Having tried both I'd always prefer a fat tyre
especially if moving on a loose surface or on a slope.

But Mary when the caravan is connected to the car and remains that way
until the caravan is in the position that you want the Jockey wheel
never comes into contact with the ground until you use it to level
front to back, so it does not matter what sort of jockey wheel you
have. Personally I will never try to manhandle a caravan, if I can not
push it or pull it into place with the car then I will go somewhere
else. It would be different if the caravan was fitted with a mover
then the type of jockey wheel makes a difference.
Bill Lord

That is true but when I put my caravan away at the back of my garden I have
to move it in nose first
and then get it into position. It would be impossible to use my car because
the caravan would then block it in!

Also I am not that good at reversing with the caravan hangs head in shame!!!

Terrys

Old June 8th 08, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 18:32:39 +0100, "terrys"
wrote:

That is true but when I put my caravan away at the back of my garden I have
to move it in nose first
and then get it into position. It would be impossible to use my car because
the caravan would then block it in!

Then a mover is a good idea, and as you say a jockey wheel with a
large tyre will also help

Also I am not that good at reversing with the caravan hangs head in shame!!!

Practice makes perfect, and I still need an awful lot of practice
after 16 years. It either goes where I want it first time ar very
frequently I have to entertain the other caravanners with my
reversing. Don't hang your head in shame, send the cap round
afterwards for any donations to the Terry benevolent fund.
Bill Lord