Camp site near Dover

Old June 9th 08, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
news.virginmedia.com

Default Camp site near Dover

Hi

Can anyone recommend a camp site not too far from the port of Dover. I
only need to stay for the night and need a early departure so I'm not
looking for any hookup.

Thanks

Darren
Old June 10th 08, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Black Horse Farm (CC site). Abt 20 mins or so from port it has a number of
"early start" pitches.

Old June 10th 08, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
news.virginmedia.com

news.virginmedia.com wrote:
Hi

Can anyone recommend a camp site not too far from the port of Dover. I
only need to stay for the night and need a early departure so I'm not
looking for any hookup.

Thanks

Darren

Thank you all who have given me some place names, I should tell you that
I'm not with the Caravan Club, would I still be able to stay at these
camp sites?

Thanks

Darren
Old June 10th 08, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas

"Mike" wrote in message
Black Horse Farm (CC site). Abt 20 mins or so from port it has a number
of "early start" pitches.

This is, unfortunately, no longer true.

In their wisdom the CC no longer allow the use of the 'Ferry Pitches' for
early departures to the ferry, only for late arrivals off the ferry.

(frankly, under certain circumstances it must be difficult for the wardens
to know)

It is documented on the site details on the web, and I found it so difficult
to believe I 'phoned the wardens to check (and was tempted to lie, saying I
would be arriving at around 11:00 OFF the ferry, and leaving at 08:00 the
following morning to go home, rather than vice versa).

It is a pity, since I could leave home after work, pitch-up at say 10:300,
and catch a 9 o'clock ferry the next day, fresh for a good lengthy
journey......but not any longer.

--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old June 11th 08, 05:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul U

"Bob Douglas" wrote in message

This is, unfortunately, no longer true.

In their wisdom the CC no longer allow the use of the 'Ferry Pitches' for
early departures to the ferry, only for late arrivals off the ferry.

Still on their site, as below;.
"Ferry pitch - These pitches should only be used in conjunction with a ferry
or Channel Tunnel crossing. They are situated on site to enable easy access
and departure with minimal disruption to other caravanners. This allows
members to pitch at different times of night if departing or returning from
a ferry or train trip. There is no additional cost for this pitch type."

Paul

Old June 11th 08, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

I was there on an early start a few weeks ago and the "ferry" pitches were
occupied and I think all were for an early morning ferry.

Sign of the times about 75% of the pitches were occupied by motorhomes. The
warden said thats about the norm these days.

Old June 11th 08, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas

"Paul U" wrote in message
"Bob Douglas" wrote in message

This is, unfortunately, no longer true.

In their wisdom the CC no longer allow the use of the 'Ferry Pitches' for
early departures to the ferry, only for late arrivals off the ferry.

Still on their site, as below;.
"Ferry pitch - These pitches should only be used in conjunction with a
ferry or Channel Tunnel crossing. They are situated on site to enable easy
access and departure with minimal disruption to other caravanners. This
allows members to pitch at different times of night if departing or
returning from a ferry or train trip. There is no additional cost for this
pitch type."

Paul

Yes, I'm sorry, I got my argument in somewhat shorthand - but it is still
effectively the same for most people who would want an early departure.

The new restriction is that you can't pitch after 8pm unless you're arriving
off a ferry.

From the website - "Only return ferry or train traffic can be pitched after
8pm"

You're not allowed to pitch up late on the outward journey to leave for an
early outward ferry.

Like many, by leaving after work I could get to the site by around 10pm, and
catch a 9 O'clock ferry the following morning.

Now not allowed.

(Though as I say, how the wardens would know defeats me).

Old June 15th 08, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"Paul U" wrote in message
[...]

From the website - "Only return ferry or train traffic can be pitched
after 8pm"

You're not allowed to pitch up late on the outward journey to leave
for an early outward ferry.

Like many, by leaving after work I could get to the site by around
10pm, and catch a 9 O'clock ferry the following morning.

Now not allowed.

(Though as I say, how the wardens would know defeats me).
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

It's all abouit paying. The office closes at 1800 and they will leave a
card for the barrier if you are to arrive before 2000, but you still
have to visit the office after 0900 in the morning to pay.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old June 15th 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

news.virginmedia.com wrote:
Hi

Can anyone recommend a camp site not too far from the port of Dover.
I only need to stay for the night and need a early departure so I'm
not looking for any hookup.

Thanks

Darren

Thank you all who have given me some place names, I should tell you
that I'm not with the Caravan Club, would I still be able to stay at
these camp sites?

Thanks

Darren

There's a (slightly rough) CL at Capel-le-Ferne (visible from A20) that
takes about 7, and is 3 without elec or 4.50 with. Run by Atkins
family but you MUST book.

Old June 15th 08, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas

"Woody" wrote in message

It's all abouit paying. The office closes at 1800 and they will leave a
card for the barrier if you are to arrive before 2000, but you still have
to visit the office after 0900 in the morning to pay.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

The big advantage about the 'ferry' pitches is that they are outside the
barrier (or at least were).

They insist in payment within 24 hours of booking one, so paying is not a
problem.

When I last used one I arrived about 22:00, got my pitch details from the
noticeboard as arranged, and was off for the 09:00 ferry the next moring
without seeing any of the staff.

Used to be very convenient (effectively gaining me a day's holiday) - but no
more.