Twin axles or single, question

Old February 23rd 09, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Default Twin axles or single, question

Hi
I want a 24 foot caravan are twin axles better than on or do they drag
and slow the towing vehicle down???
Dick
Old February 23rd 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

wrote in message
Hi
I want a 24 foot caravan are twin axles better than on or do they drag
and slow the towing vehicle down???

IMHO advantages:
More stable
Less chance of catastrophe if tyre fails
Less chance of sinking into soft ground.

Disadvantages:
Much harder manually manoevring
More drag
More weight
Higher maintenance
Towball height more critical
Banned from some sites

Rgds

Andy R

Old February 24th 09, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Andy R wrote:

wrote in message
Hi
I want a 24 foot caravan are twin axles better than on or do they
drag and slow the towing vehicle down???

IMHO advantages:
More stable
Less chance of catastrophe if tyre fails
Less chance of sinking into soft ground.

Disadvantages:
Much harder manually manoevring
More drag
More weight
Higher maintenance
Towball height more critical
Banned from some sites

.. . not to mention much more likely to be nicked by the Pikeys!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 24th 09, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Roger Mills
writes
Andy R wrote:

wrote in message
Hi
I want a 24 foot caravan are twin axles better than on or do they
drag and slow the towing vehicle down???

IMHO advantages:
More stable
Less chance of catastrophe if tyre fails
Less chance of sinking into soft ground.

Disadvantages:
Much harder manually manoevring
More drag
More weight
Higher maintenance
Towball height more critical
Banned from some sites

. . not to mention much more likely to be nicked by the Pikeys!

Also twins require almost flat pitches.
--
hugh
Old February 24th 09, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Comish

In message , hugh
] writes
. . not to mention much more likely to be nicked by the Pikeys!

Also twins require almost flat pitches.

Well after almost 25 years of twin axles, I wouldn't ever go back to a
single axle van. Apart from the better towing characteristics, twin axle
vans invariably provide more living space.

As for being nicked by 'pikeys'? Well we have had one nicked and suspect
that 'pikeys' were the most likely culprits. However that was 20 years
ago when I was very naive by storing the van in a farmers field with
little security. Since then the van has been stored in a secure place,
no more problems.

Not sure what is meant about requiring flat pitches. T/As present no
more problems than any other van when levelling up. Yes I have had
single axle vans too, that's why I'm a dedicated twin axle fan nowadays.

The biggest bind with twin axle vans, so far as I'm concerned, is the
towing vehicle - for a 4x4 hater like me but that's for another thread.

--
Alan
Old February 25th 09, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Alan Comish
writes
Not sure what is meant about requiring flat pitches. T/As present no
more problems than any other van when levelling up.

They don't have the same flexibility front/rear (pitch). The suspension
works against you all the time, whereas with a single you simply pivot
about the axles.
--
hugh
Old February 25th 09, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Comish

In message , hugh
] writes
In message , Alan Comish
writes
Not sure what is meant about requiring flat pitches. T/As present no
more problems than any other van when levelling up.

They don't have the same flexibility front/rear (pitch). The suspension
works against you all the time, whereas with a single you simply pivot
about the axles.

Take it you've no experience with twin axles then? Granted they are more
difficult to pivot, but it can be done with the tow car if necessary.
Levelling ramps can also be put to use in exactly the same way as with
single axle vans..

To state that they need flat pitches is inaccurate.
--
Alan
Old February 26th 09, 03:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Gill

Presently touring in Australia with a dual axle caravan. Certainly don't
need a level pitch.
The large majority of caravans in Australia are dual axle.
I wish I could move to Australia permanently. Caravanning in Australia is
awesome and the caravanning and motorhome fraternity are the most wonderful
helpful people you could meet. We have not paid for one nights pitch for 3
months. There are so many free pitches many with facilities. Farmers and
people you meet invite you to park a couple of nights on their property.
Mobile internet everywhere from one company and rates 1/2 of UK.

You would not get a single axle 24'

"hugh" ] wrote in message
IMHO a twin would be better - but mainly because I don't know of any
singles 24 feet long.

I've had 3 twins, (contradiction in terms there) much better for towing,
much worse for moving manually on anything other than tarmac.
--
hugh

Old February 27th 09, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Alan Comish
writes
In message , hugh
] writes
In message , Alan Comish
writes
Not sure what is meant about requiring flat pitches. T/As present no
more problems than any other van when levelling up.

They don't have the same flexibility front/rear (pitch). The
suspension works against you all the time, whereas with a single you
simply pivot about the axles.

Take it you've no experience with twin axles then? Granted they are
more difficult to pivot, but it can be done with the tow car if
necessary. Levelling ramps can also be put to use in exactly the same
way as with single axle vans..

To state that they need flat pitches is inaccurate.

I've had 3 twin axles. You seem to have assumed that I was referring to
left/right levelling whereas in fact I was talking about front rear. How
you do that with the tow car, I don't quite understand - by jacking it
up?
--
hugh