washing the 'van

Old March 22nd 09, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
m1

Default washing the 'van

Hello all,

Went to look at the 'van today and after the winter it could do with a
rinse, nothing too unusual there!

What do I wash it with??? A bloke I was chatting to last year was going on
about gel coats and different chemicals for different finishes and what will
damage what.

The caravan is a 2008 Avondale bought just days before they went tu
(warranty? what warranty??)

Leaving aside our awful timing, tho' we do really like the thing, what do we
clean it with? (I can't ask Avondale!) I don't particularly want to ask or
spend money with the dealer I bought it from.

Thanx for any input.

btw, we have loads of stuff left over from our old 'van, is it acceptable to
advertise them on this group?

Old March 22nd 09, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rob Harvey

Hi m. I always use Fenwicks caravan cleaner. Its really good at shifting the
muck that builds up over winter. Most dealers stock it and I have even seen
it in Halfords.

Old March 22nd 09, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian B[_2_]

"m1" wrote in message
Hello all,

Went to look at the 'van today and after the winter it could do with
a rinse, nothing too unusual there!

What do I wash it with??? A bloke I was chatting to last year was
going on about gel coats and different chemicals for different
finishes and what will damage what.

The caravan is a 2008 Avondale bought just days before they went tu
(warranty? what warranty??)

Leaving aside our awful timing, tho' we do really like the thing,
what do we clean it with? (I can't ask Avondale!) I don't
particularly want to ask or spend money with the dealer I bought it
from.

Thanx for any input.

btw, we have loads of stuff left over from our old 'van, is it
acceptable to advertise them on this group?

We use either Fenwicks, or failing that a car shampoo, Just stay away
from washing up liquid as it has salt in and will scour the 'van.

re selling stuff on here (unless something has changed lately),
preceed subject with 'F/S' (For Sale) and don't keep advertising the
stuff in new posts, you won't go far wrong. You can't please
everybody all the time, but providing you don't treat the newsgroup as
a free trading place hawking your wares most people don't mind.

Ian B

Please reply to Newsgroup - Antispam applied

Avoid paying premium phone rates -
http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

Old March 23rd 09, 06:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"m1" wrote in message
Hello all,

Went to look at the 'van today and after the winter it could do with a
rinse, nothing too unusual there!

What do I wash it with??? A bloke I was chatting to last year was
going on about gel coats and different chemicals for different
finishes and what will damage what.

The caravan is a 2008 Avondale bought just days before they went tu
(warranty? what warranty??)

Leaving aside our awful timing, tho' we do really like the thing, what
do we clean it with? (I can't ask Avondale!) I don't particularly want
to ask or spend money with the dealer I bought it from.

Thanx for any input.

btw, we have loads of stuff left over from our old 'van, is it
acceptable to advertise them on this group?

I use Traffic Film Remover - which you can spray on and leave a few
minutes to do its thing before rinsing/low-pressure jetting off - then
wash with a good car wash-&-wax such as Simoniz or Turtle Wax. If you
want to go the whole hog you can hand wax the front panel to make it
more slippery in the air and smoother so that muck doesn't stick so
easily.

You can buy TFR and a good commercial wash/wax as used in car washers
from most motor factors or from Machine Mart (a shop, not a magazine or
web site.)

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 23rd 09, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
aiden

We use either Fenwicks, or failing that a car shampoo, Just stay away
from washing up liquid as it has salt in and will scour the 'van.
snip

We've found Fenwicks doesn't seem to get the black streaks off that
have run down arounfd the windows - must be something from the rubber
seals, we reckon. Does anyone have an answer for these - we tried
turps in a small area and it worked - but thought too risky to do
everywhere!!?
Old March 23rd 09, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , aiden
writes

We use either Fenwicks, or failing that a car shampoo, Just stay away
from washing up liquid as it has salt in and will scour the 'van.
snip

We've found Fenwicks doesn't seem to get the black streaks off that
have run down arounfd the windows - must be something from the rubber
seals, we reckon. Does anyone have an answer for these - we tried
turps in a small area and it worked - but thought too risky to do
everywhere!!?

Have you tried it neat? Alternative is Mer - also neat.
--
hugh

Old March 23rd 09, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

My husband uses car shampoo and our van (1999) looks like brand new. Don't
waste money on non -essential cleaning products it is not necessary.
Liz

Old March 23rd 09, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Turner

Hi,
I have just cleaned my caravan with neat MER on a cloth. It is brilliant
for removing black streaks and keeps it streak free for months.

Fenwicks is good for the roof as you can chuck a bucketful over the roof
and brush it off with a long handled brush. I stay away from pressure
washers in case they cause seams to leak. 6 years and dry as a bone inside.

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , aiden
writes

Old March 24th 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
artleknock

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 21:33:19 -0000, "m1" wrote:

Hello all,

Went to look at the 'van today and after the winter it could do with a
rinse, nothing too unusual there!

What do I wash it with??? A bloke I was chatting to last year was going on
about gel coats and different chemicals for different finishes and what will
damage what.

The caravan is a 2008 Avondale bought just days before they went tu
(warranty? what warranty??)

Leaving aside our awful timing, tho' we do really like the thing, what do we
clean it with? (I can't ask Avondale!) I don't particularly want to ask or
spend money with the dealer I bought it from.

Thanx for any input.

btw, we have loads of stuff left over from our old 'van, is it acceptable to
advertise them on this group?

Try using an Awning Rail Protector, it guides the rainwater away from
the sides of the van. I had my van in storage for three months and
when I went to collect it there were just a couple of faint marks on
the sides. We went straight off in the van without having to wash it
first.

One stockist is here -
http://www.discover.co.uk/awnings/ac...ailprotector/8