towing weight

Old April 1st 09, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Default towing weight

Hi i need help
I have an 2006 Ace Jubilee Statesman weight with the following weights
1403kg (this is the higher of the 2 weights on the plate)
I need to know if my 2005 320d BMW can tow it.
I'm unsure if the van weight is full laden.
Pls help.
Cheers

Old April 2nd 09, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

wrote in news:d758194d-502b-471e-b184-
:

I have an 2006 Ace Jubilee Statesman weight with the following weights
1403kg (this is the higher of the 2 weights on the plate)
I need to know if my 2005 320d BMW can tow it.
I'm unsure if the van weight is full laden.

The short answer is "yes", although at 94% it's well above the 85%
recommended maximum.

If the van has two weights the larger will be the maximum technically
permitted laden mass - the weight above which the van must not be loaded.
This value is confirmed in the caravan data at
http://www.clicreports.co.uk

Clicreports don't have figures for the 2005 320d but they do have them
for the 2002 car. Since the kerbweight of 1490kg is the same as the
kerbweight given in http://sn.im/f2bb0 (which gives the technical specs
for the 2005 car) I suspect that the 1800kg towing limit given for the
2002 car applies to the 2005 car also. However, you need to check the VIN
plate on your own car and calculate the towing limit from the MTW and MAM
to be sure.

HTH,

Geoff
Old April 2nd 09, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

For car and van matching you can always try www.whattowcar.com
Old April 2nd 09, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

The short answer is "yes", although at 94% it's well above the 85%
recommended maximum.

Not many manage that then?

Guess only the big 4x4s with small caravans can.

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.
Old April 2nd 09, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

David wrote:

The short answer is "yes", although at 94% it's well above the 85%
recommended maximum.

Not many manage that then?

Guess only the big 4x4s with small caravans can.

Towsure shows the van with a 2005 BMW 320d as being 105% as I see it,
which I believe is not only unsafe but possibly illegal?
Old April 2nd 09, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Ian" wrote in message
et...
David wrote:

The short answer is "yes", although at 94% it's well above the 85%
recommended maximum.

Not many manage that then?

Guess only the big 4x4s with small caravans can.

Towsure shows the van with a 2005 BMW 320d as being 105% as I see it,
which I believe is not only unsafe but possibly illegal?

The problem as I see it is none of us with family cars should be towing if
we worried about this rule.

Anyway I thought it was something cooked up by the Caravan Club and
Practical Caravan mag.?

I go by what my car maker says and caravan is within that.

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old April 2nd 09, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Thanks for the responses all. I have checked on Whattowcar as
suggested and feel much better now.
cheers
Old April 3rd 09, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom[_7_]

Snipped

Towsure shows the van with a 2005 BMW 320d as being 105% as I see it,
which I believe is not only unsafe but possibly illegal?

The problem as I see it is none of us with family cars should be towing if
we worried about this rule.

Anyway I thought it was something cooked up by the Caravan Club and
Practical Caravan mag.?

I go by what my car maker says and caravan is within that.

Snipped

I hope you will not be one of the casualties seen with the caravan and car
on its side ignore good advice at YOUR (and families) peril......

Old April 3rd 09, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Tom" [email protected] wrote in message
Snipped

I hope you will not be one of the casualties seen with the caravan and car
on its side ignore good advice at YOUR (and families) peril......

So would you have us all stopping caravanning and have only those with big
heavy 4x4 etc. caravan?
Take the weight of an ordinary persons car and look down a list of caravan
weights you will be hard put to find one that is light enough.
Myself found only a couple of 2 berths to suit the rule with my car.

The advise is well founded but not just not practical for most people cars.

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.