cleaning water system

Old April 5th 09, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ganda

Default cleaning water system

Is it safe to flush out the fresh water system in the van with milton
fluid? I've done the barrel but not sure if it will taint the hoses or not.
Planning on filling aquaroll with diluted Milton fluid and pumping it
through.
Thanks in advance Glenn

Old April 6th 09, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

ganda wrote:
Is it safe to flush out the fresh water system in the van with milton
fluid? I've done the barrel but not sure if it will taint the hoses or not.
Planning on filling aquaroll with diluted Milton fluid and pumping it
through.
Thanks in advance Glenn

I can't see it being a problem. I've been keeping a bit of Miltony water
in my water carriers when not in use for many years and have had no
problems at all. I've occasionally done what you are proposing, too, and
have not noticed anything untoward.

Some people are, however, overly sensitive to the smell of chlorine and
may object. Flush out with 'clean' water afterwards if that's a concern.
Old April 6th 09, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ganda

ganda wrote:
Is it safe to flush out the fresh water system in the van with milton
fluid? I've done the barrel but not sure if it will taint the hoses or
not. Planning on filling aquaroll with diluted Milton fluid and pumping
it through.
Thanks in advance Glenn

I can't see it being a problem. I've been keeping a bit of Miltony water
in my water carriers when not in use for many years and have had no
problems at all. I've occasionally done what you are proposing, too, and
have not noticed anything untoward.

Some people are, however, overly sensitive to the smell of chlorine and
may object. Flush out with 'clean' water afterwards if that's a concern.

Thanks a lot thats cleared up concearns, I'll give it a go.

Old April 6th 09, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
harry pleavin

I would advise that you remove any filters prior to flushing the system and
replace with new ones afterwards. Harry

Old April 6th 09, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Don

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:00:23 +0100, "ganda"
wrote:

ganda wrote:
Is it safe to flush out the fresh water system in the van with milton
fluid? I've done the barrel but not sure if it will taint the hoses or
not. Planning on filling aquaroll with diluted Milton fluid and pumping
it through.
Thanks in advance Glenn

I can't see it being a problem. I've been keeping a bit of Miltony water
in my water carriers when not in use for many years and have had no
problems at all. I've occasionally done what you are proposing, too, and
have not noticed anything untoward.

Some people are, however, overly sensitive to the smell of chlorine and
may object. Flush out with 'clean' water afterwards if that's a concern.

Thanks a lot thats cleared up concearns, I'll give it a go.

Don't leave it too long in the hot-water system, it can rot the
heating element so I was told.

Don
Old April 6th 09, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

wrote:

ganda wrote:
[...]

Some advice I was once given was fill the full system up

Making sure the heater was full and no AIR ANY WHERE in the system

Then introduce a canister of water with Milton added

Turn on the COLD tap and let it run until the milton was smelled

Leave it in the system for a while

And then purge / Flush the cold water system ( with water ) until it was just
clear water

Then you can run a canister through both hot and cold

At the time I was told never to get Milton in the hot water system ,

It can cost you a fortune to repair

DieSea

Old April 6th 09, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"ganda" wrote in message
Is it safe to flush out the fresh water system in the van with milton fluid?
I've done the barrel but not sure if it will taint the hoses or not. Planning
on filling aquaroll with diluted Milton fluid and pumping it through.
Thanks in advance Glenn

TBH with you Harry I haven't used water filters in ages

IF the canisters are kept clean and flushed on a regular basis I cant see a
problem

Having said that I haven't caravanned out of the UK and if I did I think I would
be boiling water anyway

DieSea

Old April 6th 09, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

"DieSea" wrote in
:

At the time I was told never to get Milton in the hot water system ,

Advice that my Carver Cascade instructions repeat.

Geoff
Old April 6th 09, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Kewley[_2_]

In message , DieSea
writes

Having said that I haven't caravanned out of the UK and if I did I
think I would
be boiling water anyway

DieSea

The water quality throughout western Europe, at least, is fine, every
bit as good as the UK. There's no need to boil it nowadays.

--

Jim
Old April 6th 09, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dribbler[_2_]

"harry pleavin" wrote in message
I would advise that you remove any filters prior to flushing the system and
replace with new ones afterwards. Harry

Talking of water filters.... 'he' neglected to ensure there was no water
left in ours before winterising. Turned the tap on this weekend and
discovered it had split the whole length of it depositing water everywhere
quite nicely. Presumably that was due to the frost. Lesson by the ignorant
well learned.

Dribbler