Maplin Power Winch

Old April 9th 09, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KeefieDee

Default Maplin Power Winch

Has anyone been tempted by the 10 reduction that Maplin are offering
on their power winch?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223167

Are they any good? Or I suppose, for the few times one's likely to
use it (I'm thinking of getting out of a muddy field when no 4 x 4 to
hand) a hand winch would be probably just as suitable. Any
suggestions?

Keith
Old April 9th 09, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Keefiedee wrote:
Has anyone been tempted by the 10 reduction that Maplin are offering
on their power winch?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223167

Are they any good? Or I suppose, for the few times one's likely to
use it (I'm thinking of getting out of a muddy field when no 4 x 4 to
hand) a hand winch would be probably just as suitable. Any
suggestions?

Keith

Don't waste your money.
Old April 9th 09, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Keefiedee" wrote in message
Has anyone been tempted by the 10 reduction that Maplin are offering
on their power winch?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223167

Are they any good? Or I suppose, for the few times one's likely to
use it (I'm thinking of getting out of a muddy field when no 4 x 4 to
hand) a hand winch would be probably just as suitable. Any
suggestions?

Keith

At that price its a snip

I like the Emergency hand crank for manual operation

Must be there for some reason

Less than half the price of Machine Mart equivalents

With Machine Mart you don't have to pre-order and they're not web order only

At THAT Price I wonder how long it'll last and if you'll be able to get
replacements

DieSea

Now off to have a look at Towsure!!

Old April 9th 09, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Dougal wrote:

Keefiedee wrote:
Has anyone been tempted by the 10 reduction that Maplin are offering
on their power winch?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223167

Are they any good? Or I suppose, for the few times one's likely to
use it (I'm thinking of getting out of a muddy field when no 4 x 4 to
hand) a hand winch would be probably just as suitable. Any
suggestions?

Don't waste your money.

Isn't one of the problems with this, or a cheaper manual one
http://www.towsure.com/product/1040-...aking_Capacity

that, to make it cheap and handy-sized, the spool is far too
small for the cable used, so it gets tangled and generally fights
back?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old April 9th 09, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KeefieDee

Isn't one of the problems with this, or a cheaper manual onehttp://www.towsure.com/product/1040-Hand_Winch_-_960kg_Breaking_Capacity

that, to make it cheap and handy-sized, the spool is far too
small for the cable used, so it gets tangled and generally fights
back?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Has anyone a suggestion for a good manual winch that wouldn't cost the
earth b ut has adequate strength and cable length?
Old April 9th 09, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Dougal wrote:

Keefiedee wrote:

[...]

Have a look at the two smallest Tirfors
http://www.tractel.com/en/products.php?cat=20
(I hope that you have more luck in getting their website to work than I
did!)

Neither is too big. The next size up, the T508/TU8, is probably overkill
for what I think that you want. Cable length depends only on the length
that you have.

Pricewise, these aren't cheap new but they do appear on e-Bay
occasionally. Search for 'Tirfor'. But in terms of quality etc. they are
streets ahead of the Rolson.

If you're not familiar with these things the winch rating quoted for
pulling is the tension in the cable not the weight of the object being
recovered. It is quite possible even without allowing for contingencies
to need more winch pull than the weight of the object being recovered -
recovering a caravan on a relatively flat, hardish site won't fall into
that category.

Think very carefully about this before spending any serious money. The
chances of your needing to use it are tiny and going to find a helpful
4x4 or tractor is likely to be much easier.

Old April 9th 09, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KeefieDee

Dougal wrote:

Keefiedee wrote:

[...]

4x4 or tractor is likely to be much easier.- Hide quoted text -

No, I wouldn't want to spend a lot - but my experience of finding a
helpful 4 x 4 or tractor in what are now no longer farms has not been
good! But thanks for the suggestion!

Keith
Old April 9th 09, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Dougal wrote:

Keefiedee wrote:

[...]

There's actually a Tirfor Junior on e-Bay now .. item 200327632386
Old April 9th 09, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

Keefiedee wrote:

No, I wouldn't want to spend a lot - but my experience of finding a
helpful 4 x 4 or tractor in what are now no longer farms has not been
good! But thanks for the suggestion!

Keith

A few weeks ago when we had snow on the ground I was up in the Yorkshire Dales
around Malham

Over a period of 2 or 3 hours I came across several stuck in the snow

I pulled them out , did I even get a thank you off any of them NO

They just disappeared off into the "Sunset !!"

Would I do it again YES

BUT its nice to be thanked

THAT One word COSTS NOWT

DieSea

Old April 11th 09, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 05:06:31 -0700 (PDT), Keefiedee
wrote:

Has anyone been tempted by the 10 reduction that Maplin are offering
on their power winch?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223167

Are they any good? Or I suppose, for the few times one's likely to
use it (I'm thinking of getting out of a muddy field when no 4 x 4 to
hand) a hand winch would be probably just as suitable. Any
suggestions?

Keith

Consider what will happen to your jockey wheel(assuming you have
reasonable nose-weight on your 'van hitch), when you try and pull your
'van from the hitch without it being supported by a vehicle!

I tried this once, and all that happened was that the 'van moved
forward about 2 feet and the jockey wheel sank about a foot. Result;
the 'van was not going anywhere until the draw bar was jacked up out
of the ground.

I now have one of thoses steel ski-like skids that the jockey wheel
sits in and this is very effective for keeping the jockey wheel from
sinking while the 'van is pulled along. I believe you will need one
of these if you think you may have to winch, or otherwise pull your
'van with a rope acoss very soft ground. I haven't seen one for sale
for a long time now though.

As has been said elsewhere, a small Tirfor is about as good as you get
for a hand winch, I've got the smallest(Junior/Jockey). The cable is
heavier than the machine, but with a snatch block, is a perfectly
capable little winch.

Neil