Manual winch

Old April 9th 09, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KeefieDee

Default Manual winch

Further to my earlier post, has anyone a suggestion for a good manual
winch that wouldn't cost the
earth but has adequate strength and cable length? I'm thinking in
terms of helping manoevre in my drive, but also as a backup aid to
help pull the caravan out of the quiet but often muddy and sloping
fields we tend to prefer to pitch at.

Keith

Old April 9th 09, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KeefieDee

On Apr 9, 8:21*pm, Keefiedee wrote:
Further to my earlier post, has anyone a suggestion for a good manual
winch that wouldn't cost the
earth but has adequate strength and cable length? *I'm thinking in
terms of helping manoevre in my drive, but also as a backup aid to
help pull the caravan out of the quiet but often muddy and sloping
fields we tend to prefer to pitch at.

Keith

Apologies for reposting this but I thought my request had got rather
lost at the bottom of my previous post.

Keith
Old April 10th 09, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pedro[_2_]

"Keefiedee" wrote in message
On Apr 9, 8:21 pm, Keefiedee wrote:
Further to my earlier post, has anyone a suggestion for a good manual
winch that wouldn't cost the
earth but has adequate strength and cable length? I'm thinking in
terms of helping manoevre in my drive, but also as a backup aid to
help pull the caravan out of the quiet but often muddy and sloping
fields we tend to prefer to pitch at.

Keith

Apologies for reposting this but I thought my request had got rather
lost at the bottom of my previous post.

Keith

I struggled with a manual winch when my next door neighbour had his van on a
sloping driveway. Now that I'm not quite as good at moving my van on stones
etc. as I used to be I've invested in a PowrTouch mover that operates on the
main caravan wheels. After less than a year of use I can't believe why I
didn't have one 25 years ago! As I'm usually on my own when moving the
single axle van I use the car as much as possible then switch to the mover
and in seconds have acheived the result. It goes up onto the levelling
blocks with ease and can allow positioning of the van in situations not
possible - recently with the A frame pointing downhill and right up to a
fence with fabulous views. Another plus is moving the van to the car to
hitch when you can see and move to about half an inch accuracy.

And the downside? Expense (although becomming cheaper and better), the cost
etc. of a 110 Ah battery rather than the 60/80 I used before and a small
weight increase which comes off your effects allowance.

But what price a damaged back?

I hope you find that useful.

Now that the van has been serviced and cleaned I'm off to slide it between
the other vans in the stoned storage facility where the rows are too close
to allow a gentle reverse swing into the narrow slot.

Pedro

Old April 11th 09, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 12:21:42 -0700 (PDT), Keefiedee
wrote:

Further to my earlier post, has anyone a suggestion for a good manual
winch that wouldn't cost the
earth but has adequate strength and cable length? I'm thinking in
terms of helping manoevre in my drive, but also as a backup aid to
help pull the caravan out of the quiet but often muddy and sloping
fields we tend to prefer to pitch at.

Keith

If you look at the hand cranked drum winches, consider that the effort
required on your part to move the load increases as the drum fills
with cable - the drum diameter effectively increases. This is not so
with a Tirfor or similar machine. Also consider that with a Tirfor,
the machine's grip on the cable can be released enabling the cable to
be pulled through(in or out) very quickly. In my opinion a manual
drum winch is best suited to launching and recovering boats onto their
trailers, or loading plant onto dedicated plant trailers, where in
both cases the crank is at a much more comfortable level for
operation.

Having said all this, I do in fact have a 12volt electric winch for
sale. A Superwinch S2500 complete with choice of 2 mounts, or one for
attaching the winch to the vehicle towball, and one for attaching the
winch to the trailer/caravan hitch. I'm fairly certain the cable
length is 30 feet, I can check. If you're interested, I can email
you. with pics and details.

Neil

Old April 12th 09, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KeefieDee

wrote:
[...]

Looking at the price of a Superwinch, I wonder if a caravan mover
would be more overall use, given the (hopefully) only veery occasional
use I would have for a winch. I was just looking for a touch of
reassurance that I had something to help if I did get stuck. Perhaps
it would be better to remqin fussier about sites than I would
otherwise be than take a bigger risk getting bogged down becasue I
think I've got something to help get me out if I was. Mind you, I am
a member of the AA, and they did say they would help in such
circumstances, as long as there was no need of special equipment.

Keith
Old April 13th 09, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

on 09/04/2009, Keefiedee supposed :
Further to my earlier post, has anyone a suggestion for a good manual
winch that wouldn't cost the
earth but has adequate strength and cable length? I'm thinking in
terms of helping manoevre in my drive, but also as a backup aid to
help pull the caravan out of the quiet but often muddy and sloping
fields we tend to prefer to pitch at.

Keith

Until last year I used a fixed manual winch which I cobbled together
from a scaffold pole and a steel frame to pull the caravan up the
drive, located at the very back of the drive - trouble was that
communication was very difficult over the very large distance and it
didn't self brake.

I then replaced it with a much smaller item, with a ratchet so it
didn't allow it to rolls back down the drive if you let go. I paid
about 12 for it plus delivery on ebay. I mounted that onto the end of
a short length of scaffold pole and drilled a suitable hole in the
drive to accept it. It makes light and easy work of pulling it up the
drive after an outing.

Similar to item 230336603703

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old April 17th 09, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:21:05 -0700 (PDT), Keefiedee
wrote:

[...]

If you're on really soft ground, I suspect the limiting factor
determining whether you can move your 'van will be if the jockey wheel
tries to dig in as you move the 'van(by whatever means). As a minimum
bit of kit, I'd recommend a jockey wheel skid(if you can find one),
and a towball to winch-hook adapter thingy to facilitate the
attachment of a rope/cable to the caravan tow-hitch. Then with a good
rope or cable, anyone(including the AA) can pull you out from a
distance on firmer ground.

Neil