towing electrics

Old April 13th 09, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
dat

Default towing electrics

Hi All

i have just replaced my 12 year old Terrano with 2 sockets for a 4
year old primera with one can anybody help me .

Do I just ignore the grey plug on my van or do i have to get an
adapter?

thanks in advance
Old April 13th 09, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
METWO

"dat" wrote in message
Hi All

i have just replaced my 12 year old Terrano with 2 sockets for a 4
year old primera with one can anybody help me .

Do I just ignore the grey plug on my van or do i have to get an
adapter?

thanks in advance

You are a bit lacking of info !

has the primera got a 7 or 13 pin socket?
do you have a fridge in the caravan?
do you charge a battery in the caravan?
do you go on EHU sites?
do you go on rallies?
do you need a battery in the caravan?
do you need to draw power from the car when on a site?

Have I forgot anything??

metwo

Old April 15th 09, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
dat

On Apr 13, 7:01*pm, "METWO" wrote:
"dat" wrote in message

Hi All

i have just replaced my *12 year old Terrano with 2 sockets for a 4
year old primera with one can anybody help me .

Do I just ignore the grey plug on my van or do i have to get an
adapter?

thanks in advance

You are a bit lacking of info !

has the primera got a 7 or 13 pin socket?
do you have a fridge in the caravan?
do you charge a battery in the caravan?
do you go on EHU sites?
do you go on rallies?
do you need a battery in the caravan?
do you need to draw power from the car when on a site?

Have I forgot anything??

metwo

the car has a 7 pin socket
we do not do rallies and only used sites that will allow us to hook
the electrics up
Old April 15th 09, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

dat wrote:
On Apr 13, 7:01 pm, "METWO" wrote:

"dat" wrote in message

Hi All

i have just replaced my 12 year old Terrano with 2 sockets for a 4
year old primera with one can anybody help me .

Do I just ignore the grey plug on my van or do i have to get an
adapter?

thanks in advance

You are a bit lacking of info !

has the primera got a 7 or 13 pin socket?
do you have a fridge in the caravan?
do you charge a battery in the caravan?
do you go on EHU sites?
do you go on rallies?
do you need a battery in the caravan?
do you need to draw power from the car when on a site?

Have I forgot anything??

metwo

the car has a 7 pin socket
we do not do rallies and only used sites that will allow us to hook
the electrics up

An adaptor won't help - you've got fewer pins so fewer possible circuits
than you had before. The socket that you do have only caters for vehicle
lighting.

Without the 12S grey socket you will lose (if wired conventionally):
Access to the car battery 12V when on site.
The ability to charge the caravan battery from the car.
12V supply for the 'fridge when travelling.

From your description, the loss of the 'fridge cooling on the move
might be your only issue. But if you don't carry food in the 'fridge or
only travel short distances that might not worry you.

In the long term I'd add the extra socket regardless of how you use the
caravan as an insurance against other systems failing.
Old April 16th 09, 05:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
dat

On Apr 15, 11:41*pm, Dougal DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk
wrote:
dat wrote:
On Apr 13, 7:01 pm, "METWO" wrote:

"dat" wrote in message

[...]

*From your description, the loss of the 'fridge cooling on the move
might be your only issue. But if you don't carry food in the 'fridge or
only travel short distances that might not worry you.

In the long term I'd add the extra socket regardless of how you use the
caravan as an insurance against other systems failing.

thanks for help
will muddle through this year and worry about it next when I am
thinking about changing van anyway