Life Expectancy of Whale Pumps.

Old April 15th 09, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

Default Life Expectancy of Whale Pumps.

How long is a piece of string?
Well here is something similar. The Whale Watermaster pump in my Avondale
Dart has had about three months use each year for eight years. That is a
total of about twenty four months. It still works well.
What experience do you have of the life of these pumps, as we are heading
off to Vienna and perhaps further east next month.
I like to prepare for emergencies but would buying a spare pump to take with
us be a bit over the top?
Also does anybody know whether Whale pumps are generally available in German
or Austrian caravan dealers' shops? I do not see external water containers
on continental caravans.

Regards.
Dave.

Old April 15th 09, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Dave D" wrote in message

How long is a piece of string?

Well I carry a spare in the UK.

My pump failed under warranty so Whale replaced it with a improved one.

So after all this time you might find it good to have an up to date one and
retire the one you have to a spare.

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old April 15th 09, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Dave D
writes
How long is a piece of string?
Well here is something similar. The Whale Watermaster pump in my Avondale
Dart has had about three months use each year for eight years. That is a
total of about twenty four months. It still works well.
What experience do you have of the life of these pumps, as we are heading
off to Vienna and perhaps further east next month.
I like to prepare for emergencies but would buying a spare pump to take with
us be a bit over the top?
Also does anybody know whether Whale pumps are generally available in German
or Austrian caravan dealers' shops? I do not see external water containers
on continental caravans.

Regards.
Dave.

In 25 years I've never had one fail - but I do carry a spare.

It's like any insurance policy - my house had never been burnt down etc.
etc.
--
hugh

Old April 15th 09, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

I carry a good, used spare with me. It is not the same model, but I can
cut cable and pipe to fit should it be necessary. I once had one fail
so no I keep a spare just for convenience.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old April 16th 09, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

Thank you one and all for the wise words. I shall just have to blow the
dust off the old wallet and get a spare, though my grandchildren will be
proud of me for actually thinking about it. It's what they would have
expected :-)

It will probably join the other pile of spare bits and pieces I carry that
get used by everbody else. Last year - I gave my cheap adjustable spanner
to a couple of French kids to replace a broken car seat adjuster. My spare
electric hookup lead was used by a Yorkshireman at a site near Bordeaux
whose own had been cut by a lawnmower. Four nuts and bolts to a German in
Berlin who had some strange problem with a broken bed in his campervan. I
didn't ask. My battery charger was used overnight by a Dutchman at
Oudernarde who couldn't get his car to start. I just used the paracetamol
and sticking plasters that Madam carries in her spares department
Regards.
Dave.

Old April 16th 09, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

on 16/04/2009, Dave D supposed :
Thank you one and all for the wise words. I shall just have to blow the dust
off the old wallet and get a spare, though my grandchildren will be proud of
me for actually thinking about it. It's what they would have expected :-)

It will probably join the other pile of spare bits and pieces I carry that
get used by everbody else.

We always carry a spare parts box - bit of insulated wire, connectors,
insulation tape, duct tape, some thin galv steel wire, bit of awning
material, needle and thread, spare emergency pump, 13w tube, plus any
small useful broken bits we have replaced with new.