advice - compass omega 400/4

Old April 16th 09, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
arthur daley[_2_]

Default advice - compass omega 400/4

Hi All

I have been offered a compass omega 400/4 (1989 or 1990) which is
claimed to be in good condition, one owner from new. 1450 ono

I know pretty well nothing about individual caravans or their individual
build qualities

So the question is what reputation do compass caravans have and what are
the virtues or vices of the omega 400/4 in particular.

I need to get clued up before I go to see the caravan at the weekend.

All sage words of advice humbly accepted!

regards

Arthur
Old April 16th 09, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
arthur daley[_2_]

should have added that I have a Peugeot 307 estate as a tow car - the
1600 diesel 110bhp model

Old April 17th 09, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

I would go along and have a good look for yourself, look in all the corners
and crannies for signs of damp and see if everything is working and the
condition of the seat coverings etc. consider layout and if it is what you
are looking for offer them what you think it is worth. We have always
bought our caravans this way and have never had a bad one.
Liz

Old April 17th 09, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom[_7_]

"Liz Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Apart from the obvious such as condition - damp - electrics - plumbing etc
etc - Don't forget towing - a four berth will be a heavier and will need a
suitable vehicle to tow it - very unlikely that a small family car will
suffice - so be careful.

Old April 18th 09, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John B[_5_]

"Tom" [email protected] wrote in message

"Liz Hall" wrote in message
[...]

By having a look at www.whattowcar.com it seems that the van may be a bit
too heavy for your car. I could not find the exact models, but the figures
can be adjusted to fine tune the matching.

Hope this helps.

John B

Old April 18th 09, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John B[_5_]

arthur daley wrote:
Hi All

I have been offered a compass omega 400/4 (1989 or 1990) which is claimed
to be in good condition, one owner from new. 1450 ono

I know pretty well nothing about individual caravans or their individual
build qualities

So the question is what reputation do compass caravans have and what are
the virtues or vices of the omega 400/4 in particular.

I need to get clued up before I go to see the caravan at the weekend.

All sage words of advice humbly accepted!

regards

Arthur

By having a look at www.whattowcar.com it seems that the van may be a bit
too heavy for your car. I could not find the exact models, but the figures
can be adjusted to fine tune the matching.

Hope this helps.

John B
(I have re-posted here as the reply is more relevant to the original
content)

Old April 18th 09, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

arthur daley wrote:
[...]

I got somewhat different information from the same site I got this and
I used a somewhat larger caravan of the same era.

Peugeot and Compass

The towing capability for the Peugeot 307 II SW - 1.6 HDI
with a Compass Omega 432:

Performance on levelled roads
Top speed
Usability 5th gear
Acceleration and take over Performance in mountainous regions
Drive off uphill
Driving on motorway slopes
Driving on steep roads

Peugeot 307 II SW - 1.6 HDI (80 kW/107 bhp)
Date of manufactu october 2005 - up to now

84%

1260 kg 1508 kg
The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 84%.

The towing performances of this Peugeot with your Compass are satisfactory (performance index = 90 km/h or 56 mph).

You may expect adequate performances from this outfit. On flat roads you can come along provided you've selected the right gear, in which case top gear is applicable under normal circumstances.

On motorway inclines you will be able to come along provided you've selected the right gear. On steep roads you have sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there's most prabably sufficient power to get going, provided the wheels have traction.

Bill Lord

Old April 18th 09, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
arthur daley[_2_]

thanks for the replies - all very useful.

I think i have a good idea of what to look for in the way of damp etc.
However, Ihave no idea of how well built the Omega is - were they
'budget'caravans which were very much built down to a price? Or is the
Omega a well built van and acknowledged as being at the top end of the
quality scale.

Am I going to go and look at an East German Skoda or a hand built
Bently? Both are quite capable of getting you from A to B but thats
where the similarities end ;o)

regards

Arthur
Old April 18th 09, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 15:42:48 +0100, arthur daley
wrote:

thanks for the replies - all very useful.

I think i have a good idea of what to look for in the way of damp etc.
However, Ihave no idea of how well built the Omega is - were they
'budget'caravans which were very much built down to a price? Or is the
Omega a well built van and acknowledged as being at the top end of the
quality scale.

Am I going to go and look at an East German Skoda or a hand built
Bently? Both are quite capable of getting you from A to B but thats
where the similarities end ;o)

IIRR the Compass Omega was the top of the Compass range, but I could
be wrong. I thik Compass at that time had just become a part of the
Explorer group and as such were made by the same company that made the
Eldis caravans. They were pretty much run of the mill caravans but as
with all the companies the higher up their range you went the less
chance there was that they were built to a price.
Bill Lord