Slightly off topic, mobile internet aerial extension for caravan/motorhome.

Old April 20th 09, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chap.

Default Slightly off topic, mobile internet aerial extension for caravan/motorhome.

I use a T-mobile USB internet dongle with laptop in caravan which works fine
but on some sites the signal is poor, does anyone know of some sort of
extension aerial that maybe fixes on the outside of the caravan to boost
signal.

I have seen this on e-bay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/WONG-TRADE and also
http://uk.wifi-link.com/easy_setup.php?type=06 does anyone have info and
these sort of products ?

TIA David.

Old April 20th 09, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Simpsons

"Chap." wrote in message
I use a T-mobile USB internet dongle with laptop in caravan which works
fine but on some sites the signal is poor, does anyone know of some sort of
extension aerial that maybe fixes on the outside of the caravan to boost
signal.

I have seen this on e-bay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/WONG-TRADE and also
http://uk.wifi-link.com/easy_setup.php?type=06 does anyone have info and
these sort of products ?

TIA David.

Buy a USB extension lead, plug the dongle into this and hang the dongle over
one of the window stays, experiment to see which side of the caravan gives
the best result.
I find this improves the signal by one or two bars.

Fred

Old April 20th 09, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Aggreived

"Chap." wrote in message
I use a T-mobile USB internet dongle with laptop in caravan which works
fine but on some sites the signal is poor, does anyone know of some sort of
extension aerial that maybe fixes on the outside of the caravan to boost
signal.

I have seen this on e-bay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/WONG-TRADE and also
http://uk.wifi-link.com/easy_setup.php?type=06 does anyone have info and
these sort of products ?

TIA David.

The problem with all of the dongles is that they have no dedicated antennae
socket. actually, the ZTE 'credit card' style one does - but the connector
is proprietary, and no-one makes an aerial connector for it (I searched for
a couple of months)

My own solution was to buy an unlocked PC card modem (Sierra) that has a
dedicated socket, and for which it's easy to get an antenna.

As a matter of fact, the signal seems rather better with the Sierra, even
without an external aerial - presumably because the Aircards already have a
small external antennae as part of the design (it is this that unplugs to
receive a larger mag-mount or mast aerial)

As has been suggested, the best plan is a long USB lead and hanging the
dongle out of a window. Don't be tempted by those antennas that claim to
work by attaching to the body of the dongle with velcro pads - I've tried
one, and it didn't work - it seems that only a physical antennae connection
will make any noticeable difference.