A6 Tow car

Old April 21st 09, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim[_7_]

Default A6 Tow car

Need to change my towcar and like the look of the diesel auto A6
perhaps 2002 - 2004. Would you think this is a bit suicidal due to
cost of parts / service etc or are they tough as old boots like the
old volvo 740/940 range. I think the standard A6 is a 2.5 130 bhp
unit.Got 5/6 k to spend so hopefully 2004 should be achievable.Any
experiences/opinions most welcome.
Old April 21st 09, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
broadssailor

On 21 Apr, 12:47, Tim wrote:
Need to change my towcar and like the look *of the diesel auto A6
perhaps 2002 - 2004. Would you think this is a bit suicidal due to
cost of parts / service etc or are they tough as old boots like the
old volvo 740/940 range. I think the standard A6 is a 2.5 130 bhp
unit.Got 5/6 k to spend so hopefully 2004 should be achievable.Any
experiences/opinions most welcome.

Have you considered the 'Value' A6, namely the Skoda Superb? I have
towed with one of these - it is truly fantastic in its diesel guise,
and has all the space ++ of the Audi, whilst most of the components
are straight out of the VAG parts bin.
The old jokes about Skoda are exactly that - old jokes, and bear no
connection with the current range. Of course, if it is the so called
kudos of the marque which attracts, I have wasted my time........
Old April 22nd 09, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

I would do but it was the A6 estate I was looking at but thanks for
your reply.
Old April 23rd 09, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sebastian

Tim wrote:
Need to change my towcar and like the look of the diesel auto A6
perhaps 2002 - 2004. Would you think this is a bit suicidal due to
cost of parts / service etc or are they tough as old boots like the
old volvo 740/940 range. I think the standard A6 is a 2.5 130 bhp
unit.Got 5/6 k to spend so hopefully 2004 should be achievable.Any
experiences/opinions most welcome.

We have one, although it's a 2001 manual quattro with the 2.5 tdi 180
bhp. It makes a good towcar although you'd do better to try and find one
with the factory fit towbar and self-levelling suspension obviously.

Mechanically: well it's done 130k and is still running. Service costs
aren't bad from a good independent. It's suffered a lot from wear in the
suspension leading to vibration, crazy tyre wear and wobbly steering
(particularly whilst towing) - probably just because it's a big heavy
car and we drive along a lot of bumpy country roads. Unfortunately Audi
don't allow you to replace just the bushes in the front suspension, you
have to buy the whole suspension arm which makes it very expensive in
parts as well as time.

My advice would be to budget to replace all four arms, track rod ends
and the rear anti-roll bushes at around 100k miles if this hasn't been
done, cost somewhere north of 500 quid.

I ran a K-reg Audi 100 quattro estate up to 180,000: that was a complete
tank like the 740. The new one seems to be holding up almost as well,
apart from the suspension thing.