Opps petrol in water system

Old April 22nd 09, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John White[_6_]

Default Opps petrol in water system

I know this is a very very silly thing to do . But I have managed to get a
very small amount of petrol in the water system of my van. I know you will
want to know how I did this. basically I have a siphon pump which I use to
fill my aquaroll to save me lugging it into my house to fill. Unknown to me
my neighbor borrowed the pump to fill is petrol mower. I then filled my
aquaroll. I probably put no more than a small egg cup of petrol into the
aquaroll (just the residue in the pump) But I can now smell petrol when ever
I draw water. The aquaroll is about ready for replacement as it is the older
type with the smaller hole so that's not a problem . My question is what
should I flush the water system with to remove the contamination.
By the way I feel very silly . Thanks for reading this
JOHN

Old April 23rd 09, 01:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Kewley[_2_]

In message , John White
writes
I know this is a very very silly thing to do . But I have managed to
get a very small amount of petrol in the water system of my van. I know
you will want to know how I did this. basically I have a siphon pump
which I use to fill my aquaroll to save me lugging it into my house to
fill. Unknown to me my neighbor borrowed the pump to fill is petrol
mower. I then filled my aquaroll. I probably put no more than a small
egg cup of petrol into the aquaroll (just the residue in the pump) But
I can now smell petrol when ever I draw water. The aquaroll is about
ready for replacement as it is the older type with the smaller hole so
that's not a problem . My question is what should I flush the water
system with to remove the contamination.
By the way I feel very silly . Thanks for reading this
JOHN

Scrap it buy a new one?
--

Jim
Old April 23rd 09, 06:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
In message , John White
writes

.... My question is what should I flush the water
system with to remove the contamination.

Scrap it buy a new one?
--

Think he is asking about the caravan and not the aqua roll.

If the caravan maybe flush water through many times and see what happens.

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old April 24th 09, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Kewley[_2_]

In message , David
writes

"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
In message , John White
writes

... My question is what should I flush the water
system with to remove the contamination.

Scrap it buy a new one?
--

Think he is asking about the caravan and not the aqua roll.

Doh! Ah yes sorry, my mistake.

If the caravan maybe flush water through many times and see what happens.

I'm no expert on chemical reactions but doesn't petrol have an effect on
some plastics?

--

Jim
Old April 28th 09, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John White[_6_]

Thanks to every one who replied to my question. I have had loads of advice
mainly by direct email. Lots of ideas now however the one about making sure
the vans insurance was up to date and adding more petrol and a match seems a
bit extreme. Thanks again . John

Old April 28th 09, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel[_3_]

"John White" wrote in message

Thanks to every one who replied to my question. I have had loads of advice
mainly by direct email. Lots of ideas now however the one about making
sure the vans insurance was up to date and adding more petrol and a match
seems a bit extreme. Thanks again . John

John:

Perhaps you could share with us the outcome and what worked.

Could happen to any of us!

Nigel.

Old April 28th 09, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel

"John White" wrote in message

Thanks to every one who replied to my question. I have had loads of advice
mainly by direct email. Lots of ideas now however the one about making
sure the vans insurance was up to date and adding more petrol and a match
seems a bit extreme. Thanks again . John

John:

Perhaps you could let us know of the outcome - what proved to be successful?

Useful to know, just in case!

Nigel.

Old April 28th 09, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John White[_6_]

Thanks to every one who replied to my question. I have had loads of
advice mainly by direct email. Lots of ideas now however the one about
making sure the vans insurance was up to date and adding more petrol and
a match seems a bit extreme. Thanks again . John

John:

Perhaps you could let us know of the outcome - what proved to be
successful?

Useful to know, just in case!

Nigel.

well so far I have replaced the aquaroll with a large clean container filled
it with water (rain water in fact but I doubt that makes any difference)
turned on all taps and left them running until the container is empty. The
smell of petrol has now gone from the water. I have yet to fire up the water
heater but suspect this will release more of the petrol residue from within
the hot tank. We never drink water from the caravan supply it is only used
for showering and washing so no problem with tainted drinks or food. Once I
have flushed the system several times in this manner I intend to drain it
completely and let it dry out. Hope fully this will eventually get rid of
all the petrol. as I say there really was a very small amount and hopefully
this will fix it. The best idea that was emailed to me was to use pub pipe
cleaning liquid along with a warning not to get it in the heater. I didn't
fancy this as the cleaning liquid is an acid (very mild) so will try the
flushing and report back .
JOHN

Old April 28th 09, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger frampton

"John White" wrote in message
[...]

See about 2/3 of the way down this page for instructions on cleaning up
diesel contamination. I guess it should work for petrol too.

Old April 28th 09, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger frampton

"Roger frampton" wrote in message
. uk...

Sorry forgot the link http://www.biomagicuk.com/5.html