Fidge not working

Old April 30th 09, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
prb

Default Fidge not working

My fridge works ok on electric hookup but not on gas. Any ideas? The
burner lights ok and stays on but there is no cooling.
Old April 30th 09, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gazz

"prb" wrote in message
om...
My fridge works ok on electric hookup but not on gas. Any ideas? The
burner lights ok and stays on but there is no cooling.

it's not a thetford fridge is it?

i had one of those a few years ago, never did work right on gas, fine on
lecky but that was useless as i hardly ever stay on a campsite, had the gas
valve changed as part of a warrently recall, then something in the burner,
but still never worked well, had my gas system checked out 5 times and
proven to be fine, fridge even failed to cool well on gas sat in the middle
of a workshop, so not my instlation... which i followed to the letter of the
manual.

ended up ditching the thetford and fitting a 12 volt compressor fridge
freezer, wish i'd done it years ago,

--
Die cut vinyl stickers made to your design (within reason)
Cheap as it's a hobby not a business.

Delete the bits between the ~'s to email me

Old April 30th 09, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hirem Firem

"gazz" wrote in message
"prb" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Have you made sure the van is DEAD LEVEL, mine works fine on lecky but if
its a bit off it wont work on gas

Old May 3rd 09, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Manuka

Thetford fridges are rubbish and worst crap on the market.
They don't cool properly past 28C

Old May 3rd 09, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gazz

"Mike Manuka" wrote in message
Thetford fridges are rubbish and worst crap on the market.
They don't cool properly past 28C

that's my experiance of them,
the adverts boast that they keep the freezer at minus 18 when the ambient
temp is +25,

yes they do that, but go above 25 degrees and the freezer temp rises too,
had a little of that in england, but when we went abroad and spent 4 months
slowly heading south ending up in spain with the average day time temps
hovering around 35, the fridge was as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

it was when my expensive ice cream (some exotic flavour with lots of weird
stuff in it, could only get it in germany so bought a big tub of it) melted
and leaked all over the van i decided enough was enough, and aranged to get
a 12 volt compressor fridge freezer, best thing i've done for a long time,
sure the compressor runs a bit longer when in high temps, but the solar
panels are getting more sun on them in that situation too,

and i no longer have to worry about being level, can have the fridge on when
parked on the parents driveway which needed 10 inches of blocks to level the
van to make the old fridge work.

Old May 5th 09, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
prb

In article ,
says...

"gazz" wrote in message
"prb" wrote in message
om...
My fridge works ok on electric hookup but not on gas. Any ideas? The
burner lights ok and stays on but there is no cooling.

it's not a thetford fridge is it?

i had one of those a few years ago, never did work right on gas, fine on
lecky but that was useless as i hardly ever stay on a campsite, had the
gas valve changed as part of a warrently recall, then something in the
burner, but still never worked well, had my gas system checked out 5 times
and proven to be fine, fridge even failed to cool well on gas sat in the
middle of a workshop, so not my instlation... which i followed to the
letter of the manual.

ended up ditching the thetford and fitting a 12 volt compressor fridge
freezer, wish i'd done it years ago,

Have you made sure the van is DEAD LEVEL, mine works fine on lecky but if
its a bit off it wont work on gas

Its not a thetford it's electrolux and as far as I can tell the fridge
is level, or as level as it ever was when the fridge did work.
So, I went to my local caravan agent to get a price for fixing it. A
fridge service takes four hours apparently. All in all about a hundred
and eighty quid with no guarantee of actually fixing the problem.
Now the next question, how the bloody hell can anyone spend four hours
on a tidly little fridge? You could take it to bits and polish every
part with a buffing wheel and still have time left to go for your weekly
shopping.