Status 315 - getting it apart

Old May 3rd 09, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

Default Status 315 - getting it apart

The cable used in the installation of the Status 315 in my Bailey
is rubbish and I would like to replace it.

I have had the 'flying frying pan' off its mount but I cannot
find how to get it apart (i.e. into two halves) so that I can
change the cable.

Anyone succeeded?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old May 3rd 09, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom[_10_]

"Woody" wrote in message
The cable used in the installation of the Status 315 in my Bailey is
rubbish and I would like to replace it.

I have had the 'flying frying pan' off its mount but I cannot find how to
get it apart (i.e. into two halves) so that I can change the cable.

Anyone succeeded?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

The signal booster inside the van under the status should have a spare
connector just plug into that. Unless of course the wiring from the booster
to aerial is faulty.

Old May 3rd 09, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gazz

"Woody" wrote in message
The cable used in the installation of the Status 315 in my Bailey is
rubbish and I would like to replace it.

I have had the 'flying frying pan' off its mount but I cannot find how to
get it apart (i.e. into two halves) so that I can change the cable.

Anyone succeeded?

The first status i had was screwed together, 4 screws on the underside,

the next status on the next van was newer, and was just glued together, that
one got knocked off on a height barrier and pulled the cable out, so i had
to forciably get into it, wouldent want to do it unless i really had to, as
it will not go back together neatly and needs a good goop of sealant around
the edge to keep it warertight.

what exactly is the problem with the coax? sure it's not military grade
stuff, but it was perfectly fine for me when i owned one, 90% of the
problems with status's are down to dealer instlation, usually stray strands
of outer sheath contacting the centre core at the plugs,

i gave up on terestrial TV years ago tho, got a crank up thru the roof sat
dish and a freesat card for the pace javelin reciever (the 12 volt one) and
never farted about with poor signal again, even getting the english stations
down to northern spain, only time we have a problem is if i park under
trees, but to be honnest it's rare that we even wind the dish up, we go away
to be in a different place than home, not pay 10 - 20 quid a night to sit in
the van watching eastenders, corrie and all the other trash on the box
exactly the same as if we'd stayed at home.

Old May 4th 09, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"gazz" wrote in message
"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

No, it's about keeping up with the times!

DTTV is rather more prone to passing interference and results in
annoying pixelation rather than just (more acceptable) noise
patterning on analogue. This is the reason that aerial
installation for DTTV uses (or should use) coax that has a foil
screen in addition to the braid (and usually a solid foam inner
insulator) to make it less sensitive to noise pickup on the
cable. The c**p cable in my van uses a polythene tube (which is
more lossy) and poor quality open-weave braid.

This cable in my van is also much more lossy (as already noted)
and as such presents problems when one DTTV mux is presently on a
channel way out of band. For instance we were near Cambridge last
week using Sandy Tx. DTTV here is in B group (channels in the
40's) but Mux D4 is on channel 67 and as a consequence a much
weaker signal. (After DSO Sandy will be, as now, group A for most
muxes except Mux D4 which will be on channel 48, so to a degree
the same applies.)

I too use sat in most places, but having just got a DTV for the
'van I thought I would try it out on the Status and behold it
worked - after a fashion - so why bother with the sat? The
problem was that rogue mux which carries BBC radio, and around
Cambridge (not in the city where there is a 'filler') FM is
rather weak and pretty well unusable on a portable in the 'van.
Much against my better judgement we went and bought a cheap-ish
Pure DAB radio (on undersale at John Lewis' in Cambridge) and it
worked a treat! (Hi-power DAB Tx at Madingley, just west of the
city and about 8 miles from us.)

Per the comment of the other writer, the sockets on the inside
box for the Status are one input (for the aerial to be connected
and carrying power to feed the amp inside it) and two outputs
both providing TV and FM - so one for the telly and one for a
fitted radio. The box is a power supply, not a signal booster -
that is inside the aerial housing. As stated above, I wish to
change the cable between the aerial and the power supply to
reduce losses and interference. Changing the cable inside the
'van is relatively simple.