motor mover max capacity

Old May 9th 09, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
a. clarke

Default motor mover max capacity

Hello group I have fitted my move control RK reich to my coachman amara 520.
1500kg
when driving off my drive, approx gradiant 1 in 8 it is quite slow. I have
just checked the manual and it only says about driving a 1200kg van up a 25%
slope ( 1 in 4 )? am I overloading my mover (lightly to damage)? what are
my options.

Thanks in advance

Al C

Old May 9th 09, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

a. clarke wrote:
Hello group I have fitted my move control RK reich to my coachman amara
520. 1500kg
when driving off my drive, approx gradiant 1 in 8 it is quite slow. I
have just checked the manual and it only says about driving a 1200kg van
up a 25% slope ( 1 in 4 )? am I overloading my mover (lightly to
damage)? what are my options.

Thanks in advance

Al C

Assuming equal rolling resistance and tyre diameter, 1200kg on a 1 in 4
is significantly more severe from the motors' viewpoint than 1500kg on a
1 in 8 i.e. you are not overdoing it if 1200kg on a 1 in 4 is claimed
to be within the mover's limits.

Options - get a 'car' with proper low gears!
Old May 9th 09, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom[_10_]

"Dougal" wrote in message
. uk...
a. clarke wrote:
Hello group I have fitted my move control RK reich to my coachman amara
520. 1500kg
when driving off my drive, approx gradiant 1 in 8 it is quite slow. I
have just checked the manual and it only says about driving a 1200kg van
up a 25% slope ( 1 in 4 )? am I overloading my mover (lightly to
damage)? what are my options.

Thanks in advance

Al C

Assuming equal rolling resistance and tyre diameter, 1200kg on a 1 in 4 is
significantly more severe from the motors' viewpoint than 1500kg on a 1 in
8 i.e. you are not overdoing it if 1200kg on a 1 in 4 is claimed to be
within the mover's limits.

Options - get a 'car' with proper low gears!

I had a Reich mover on my previous Abbey Vogue 416 - just under 1500kg - it
worked OK although I did have a thing about the lack of battery life. Could
it be that your rollers need adjusting against the tyres - which could be
slipping.?

Old May 10th 09, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
a. clarke

"Tom" wrote in message
"Dougal" wrote in message
. uk...
a. clarke wrote:
[...]

Have adjusted the rollers, had a previous problem with slipping (they are
the machined grooved rollers, like a milling machine against your tyres,
ouch) initialy thought they were pressing too hard. Did initialy think it
was voltage drop supplied cable was 10mm to controler and 6mm to motors
which i have kept as short as possible. Replaced battery on van and
measured voltage on terminals, under load 10.5v, can't measure current, but
asume lots.
Smiled to myself last night when Dougal sugested "get a 'car' with proper
low gears" think the V8 Discovery could pull it up a mountain. But I am too
much of a cheap skate to put van in storage and like it in my front garden.
LOL.

Al C

Old May 10th 09, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom[_10_]

"a. clarke" wrote in message

"Tom" wrote in message
"Dougal" wrote in message
. uk...
a. clarke wrote:
[...]

Thinking about it - As I said I had a Reich mover on my old van (Abbey vogue
416) which was a heavy van and when using the mover it had a short battery
life even after changing the battery. It is important to keep the battery
fully charged when going to use the mover over some distant or under load.
The mover coped with my 416 (4 berth) but I have now changed the van to a
Pageant (2 berth) which is much lighter and all battery (same one) problems
have gone. The mover now moves for a much longer period of time and is
effortless. So maybe weight is a problem. Is a heavier motor available for
bigger vans?

Old May 10th 09, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

a. clarke wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message

"Dougal" wrote in message
. uk...

a. clarke wrote:

[...]

That'll do nicely!

But I am too much of a cheap skate to put van in storage and like it in
my front garden. LOL.

Al C

Following on from the first part of the discussion .. if 1200kg on a 1
in 4 is the limit for this mover, it should be capable of taking 1500kg
on anything up to a 1 in 5.