Tow bar electrics problems

Old May 10th 09, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KeefieDee

Default Tow bar electrics problems

I found on our last trip that my 12N socket has gone a bit dodgy -
insofar as the central pin has become loose and pushes back when you
plug in so I intermittently lose my L side light. Naturally, on
attempting to replace this, the bolts have corroded and I have had to
drill them out. That process caused the plate which supports the 12N
socket to break off its bracket. Where can I get a new plate, and
what is it called if I want to eBay or google it? Also, what should I
do about the specification plate which is securely riveted to it.
Presumably I could drill the rivets out and fit it to any new plate I
purchase - or is there any reason I shouldn't/couldn't.

On examining my 12S socket at the same time, it seems to me there is
some evidence of overheating around the central pin. I have heard
there can be problems with this, and, as there are two earths attached
to this socket, that it is advisable to connect them together -
presumably behind the socket. Can someone confirm this, and confirm
which two pins shold be connected please?

TIA

Keith
Old May 10th 09, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KeefieDee

On May 10, 5:16*pm, Keefiedee wrote:
[...]

I'm talking about the sockets on the car of course, just to make that
clear and avoid any confusion.

Keith
Old May 10th 09, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
metalman

[...]

HI Keith I belive the plate is called a P plate.But if Im wrong Im
sure some one will tell us.Cheers.
Old May 10th 09, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
howie

sorry for the above post ;0(
something like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TWIN-SOCKET-TOWING-BRACKET_W0QQitemZ180317220607QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item180317220 607&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A 2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A 50

Old May 10th 09, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KeefieDee

On May 10, 7:29*pm, "howie" wrote:
sorry for the above post ;0(
something like thishttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TWIN-SOCKET-TOWING-BRACKET_W0QQitemZ18031722060...66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3 A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

No, it's difficult to describe - the vertical plate carrying the
socket is at right angles to a bracket that bolts to the stem of the
tow ball. It has broken at the angle of the vertical plate and the
bracket.

Keith
Old May 10th 09, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Keefiedee brought next idea :
I found on our last trip that my 12N socket has gone a bit dodgy -
insofar as the central pin has become loose and pushes back when you
plug in so I intermittently lose my L side light. Naturally, on
attempting to replace this, the bolts have corroded and I have had to
drill them out. That process caused the plate which supports the 12N
socket to break off its bracket. Where can I get a new plate, and
what is it called if I want to eBay or google it? Also, what should I
do about the specification plate which is securely riveted to it.

Almost any car accessory dealer will be able to supply a replacement
socket and plate separately or as a ready wired complete kit. You could
buy just the socket and make a plate, I made one from flexible plastic
which makes it less susceptible to damage and easier to plug into due
to its flexibility.

Whatever you do you will need some good spanners to undo the tow ball
bolts and to re-tighten them, they should be very tight indeed. I would
not worry too much about the specification plate, just tywrap it back
on to the main bracket if you feel the need.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old May 10th 09, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Keefiedee wrote:

On May 10, 7:29 pm, "howie" wrote:

sorry for the above post ;0(
something like thishttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TWIN-SOCKET-TOWING-BRACKET_W0QQitemZ18031722060...66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3 A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

No, it's difficult to describe - the vertical plate carrying the
socket is at right angles to a bracket that bolts to the stem of the
tow ball. It has broken at the angle of the vertical plate and the
bracket.

Keith

I'm not sure that we fully understand what you are describing other than
it does not appear to be the 'usual' plate sandwiched between the tow
bar and the ball and which is readily available.

It's possible that this is a bracket specific to your particular tow
bar. Either approach the tow bar manufacturer or make/get made a
replacement - it sounds simple enough.

If you have the ability to put up a photograph somewhere it would help
us advise you further.
Old May 10th 09, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Keefiedee wrote:

[...]

The 12S problem is well known - poor electrical design putting all the
return current through one pin. The solution is to use one or more of
the unused pins to share the load. I went over the top and now have
three earth paths but my wiring deviates from the standards in other
ways. Normally, making use of one extra pin is sufficient:
http://www.towitall.co.uk/faq/faq1.htm
http://www.a-tconsulting.co.uk/carav...12s_probs.html

Also make sure that all the pins are a tight fit in their sockets -
'splay' out the pin segments as required.
Old May 10th 09, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

That I don't understand! I made my socket bracket much stiffer than
normal to ease inserting the plug - no need to support the bracket when
plugging in. Flexibility to avoid damage is not an issue if you mount
the sockets high up in a protected location on a LandRover.

Old May 10th 09, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

It happens that Dougal formulated :
That I don't understand! I made my socket bracket much stiffer than normal to
ease inserting the plug - no need to support the bracket when plugging in.
Flexibility to avoid damage is not an issue if you mount the sockets high up
in a protected location on a LandRover.

When coupling up at an awkward angle I can push the sockets a few
degrees to get a better angle to insert the plugs. I also use a spring
type stabiliser and being able to move the plugs out of the way makes
that easier. It also doesn't damage so easily because it flexes out of
the way and springs straight back.

No rust, cut from tough 1/8" flexible, black plastic sheet. I needed a
bracket with both plugs on one side of the towball and just could not
find one ready made, so I made one up myself. I tidied up the two plug
cables from the caravan by running them inside some flexible plastic
and having the sockets on the same side made this even tidier. Having
made it, I found it's flexibility an unexpected bonus.