Campervan insurance during convertion

Old May 13th 09, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.caravanning
Dave[_13_]

Default Campervan insurance during convertion

Hi,

I have just purchased a transit connect van (see thread at [1]). It
is currently a "normal" van, but I intend to use it as a campervan. I
will do some minimal work on it, like putting in a light at the back
and a couple of shelves. I do not know when I will get round to this
work, cetainly not before I want to start using it.

When I come to insure it van insurers mostly say they will not cover
it if you sleep in it, the best say that you are allowed to sleep in
it if you have good reason but you are not allowed to convert it at
all. Campervan insurance will not cover it if it is not converted.

I guess someone has come across this problem before. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

[1] http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....372483d09cc30d
Old May 13th 09, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

Dave wrote in news:fe306106-5120-4285-9667-
:

I guess someone has come across this problem before. Any suggestions?

Only to shop around. My van is "officially" converted for occasional use
as an office with an auxilliary 12v supply to provide power for a laptop
computer and lighting.

I've declared all the conversion work done to the van but haven't 'fessed
up to sleeping in it. In my case, the conversion is:
- Full carpet over ply lining.
- Storage bins on both sides.
- 80Ah leisure battery topped up by a split-charge relay.
- Towbar.

I use a camp bed when I need to sleep in it and have a portable stove and
washing-up bowl for cooking and washing up. The office desk gets used for
dining and as a kitchen work surface.

The question really is whether you have a reason for those shelves etc.
other than to use the van as an ad-hoc motorhome. For example, do you
need racks in which to keep your wetsuit(s), spares for the surfboards,
etc?

FWIW, I have found that fewer insurers will quote - with the leisure
battery being the biggest show stopper, but each year I get to compare up
to a dozen quotes to get the keenest price. Racking out vans is such a
common requirement that I find it hard to believe any reputable van
insurer would refuse to cover a van fitted out with a few shelves -
especially if a valid reason were provided for the fittings.

HTH,

Geoff
Old May 13th 09, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.caravanning
Dr Zoidberg[_3_]

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have just purchased a transit connect van (see thread at [1]). It
is currently a "normal" van, but I intend to use it as a campervan. I
will do some minimal work on it, like putting in a light at the back
and a couple of shelves. I do not know when I will get round to this
work, cetainly not before I want to start using it.

When I come to insure it van insurers mostly say they will not cover
it if you sleep in it, the best say that you are allowed to sleep in
it if you have good reason but you are not allowed to convert it at
all. Campervan insurance will not cover it if it is not converted.

I guess someone has come across this problem before. Any suggestions?

Tell them it's been converted , just not that the extent of the conversion so far is a sleeping bag in the back and a curtain across the windows

--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"
Old May 13th 09, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in
:

Tell them it's been converted , just not that the extent of the
conversion so far is a sleeping bag in the back and a curtain across
the windows

They'll likely then want photographs and possibly an engineer's report.
They might also want the body style changed from "panel van" to
"motorcaravan" on the V5. The minimum that's needed for that is somewhere
to sleep, somewhere to cook, somewhere to wash, somewhere to store
clothing, and somewhere to sit down to eat. This can be achieved by "multi-
use" of space - for example, the dining area can convert to to your bed -
but it's all got to be "permanent". Coincidentally, that's also generally
the minimum that the few insurers who'll cover self-builds want.

http://www.sbmcc.co.uk/bin/vosa.pdf gives VOSA's and DVLA's requirements
and the link can be found at http://www.sbmcc.co.uk/howto.php, which is the
Self-Build Motorcaravan Club's page on the basics of self-building.

HTH,

Geoff
Old May 14th 09, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.caravanning
Dave[_13_]

On 13 May, 13:48, Geoff Lane wrote:
Dave wrote in news:fe306106-5120-4285-9667-
:

I guess someone has come across this problem before. *Any suggestions?

Only to shop around. My van is "officially" converted for occasional use
as an office with an auxilliary 12v supply to provide power for a laptop
computer and lighting.

So following this advice I did manage to find someone who seemed to
think it was no problem at all, and they did give the cheapest quote I
have had, 220 GBP.

If anyone is interested they are http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/

http://www.sbmcc.co.uk/howto.php

That looks like a really usefull resource, thanks.
Old May 15th 09, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

I think it will be very difficult to insure, we are trying to get insurance
on a van we have converted to a tool van like Snap On Tools and we can't as
yet get insurance.
Liz

Old May 17th 09, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.caravanning
PCPaul

On Thu, 14 May 2009 01:58:58 -0700, Dave wrote:

So following this advice I did manage to find someone who seemed to
think it was no problem at all, and they did give the cheapest quote I
have had, 220 GBP.

If anyone is interested they are http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/

They are a good bet for covering anything 'modified'.

When I was looking into adding +50BHP of Nitrous oxide to my car they
only wanted about £40 more than the standard insurance would have been.