How old is my Swift Danette?

Old May 16th 09, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James Kemp

Default How old is my Swift Danette?

I've recently inherited a Swift Danette. I would like to insure it and
need the chassis number to do so. It is not obvious where to find it and
I wondered if anyone could suggest where I might find it.

Unhelpfully I don't know what year it was manufactured, but the 'van has
the following 'features':
- green exterior
- "Fellows" vitreous enamel hotplate and sink drainer
- Maxol oven
- Carver space heater
- Electrolux fridge (3 way)
- cold water only
- 2 x 12 pin plugs
- internal toilet which was retro-fitted to be a cassette

Delivered weight is listed as 670kg, max as 850kg.

Any help you can offer about age and location of the chassis number would
be gratefully received.

Thanks.

--
/home/james/sigs/Standard signature.txt
Old May 16th 09, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 16 May 2009 21:03:44 GMT, James Kemp wrote:

I've recently inherited a Swift Danette. I would like to insure it and
need the chassis number to do so. It is not obvious where to find it and
I wondered if anyone could suggest where I might find it.

Unhelpfully I don't know what year it was manufactured, but the 'van has
the following 'features':
- green exterior
- "Fellows" vitreous enamel hotplate and sink drainer
- Maxol oven
- Carver space heater
- Electrolux fridge (3 way)
- cold water only
- 2 x 12 pin plugs
- internal toilet which was retro-fitted to be a cassette

Delivered weight is listed as 670kg, max as 850kg.

Any help you can offer about age and location of the chassis number would
be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Presumably you got those weights off the plate on the caravan the
number you require is usually on the same plate as the weights.

Bill Lord

Old May 17th 09, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James Kemp

On Sat, 16 May 2009 23:25:17 +0100, bill lord
allegedly wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2009 21:03:44 GMT, James Kemp wrote:

I've recently inherited a Swift Danette. I would like to insure it and
need the chassis number to do so. It is not obvious where to find it and
I wondered if anyone could suggest where I might find it.

Delivered weight is listed as 670kg, max as 850kg.

Presumably you got those weights off the plate on the caravan the number
you require is usually on the same plate as the weights.

No, got them out a very tatty book, which for some reason doesn't have a
year or any other helpful details about date or where to find the chassis
number in it. Google hasn't been much help either. Did find a suggestion
that it was on the chassis next to the handbrake, but crawling around to
look from all angles didn't shed any light.

--
James Kemp
see Alexander at http://www.ajkemp.org/gallery/

Old May 17th 09, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

bill lord wrote in
:

Presumably you got those weights off the plate on the caravan the
number you require is usually on the same plate as the weights.

If it's not there, it's often stamped into the drawbar or on a plate in
that position - though you usually have to remove the drawbar fairing to be
able to read it.

HTH,

Geoff
Old May 17th 09, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

allegedly wrote:

On Sat, 16 May 2009 21:03:44 GMT, James Kemp wrote:

I've recently inherited a Swift Danette. I would like to insure it and
need the chassis number to do so. It is not obvious where to find it and
I wondered if anyone could suggest where I might find it.

Delivered weight is listed as 670kg, max as 850kg.

Presumably you got those weights off the plate on the caravan the number
you require is usually on the same plate as the weights.

No, got them out a very tatty book, which for some reason doesn't have a
year or any other helpful details about date or where to find the chassis
number in it. Google hasn't been much help either. Did find a suggestion
that it was on the chassis next to the handbrake, but crawling around to
look from all angles didn't shed any light.

Probably somewhere on the A-frame. The problem could be that the detail
may have been on a rivetted plate which has since been lost - any sign
of holes that could have attached a plate? It is quite possible that a
hard stamped number may exist either under the plate location or elsewhere.
Old May 17th 09, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

allegedly wrote:

[...]

Aren't Swift still in business? Have you done the obvious and asked them?

http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/home
Old May 17th 09, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dieseldes

"James Kemp" wrote in message

I've recently inherited a Swift Danette. I would like to insure it and
need the chassis number to do so. It is not obvious where to find it and
I wondered if anyone could suggest where I might find it.

Unhelpfully I don't know what year it was manufactured, but the 'van has
the following 'features':
- green exterior
- "Fellows" vitreous enamel hotplate and sink drainer
- Maxol oven
- Carver space heater
- Electrolux fridge (3 way)
- cold water only
- 2 x 12 pin plugs
- internal toilet which was retro-fitted to be a cassette

Delivered weight is listed as 670kg, max as 850kg.

Any help you can offer about age and location of the chassis number would
be gratefully received.

Thanks.

I have had a couple of Danettes, depending how old it is, which can guessed
by the type of handles whether moulded or bolt on, before 1990 after 1990
(approx), also the layout changed over the years,
My 1989 had the id plate just by the bottom of the door. I can't remember
where the earlier one was.
Around 1990 they had a couple of versions, one had the oven and hot water
and cassette toilet and one had cold water only. and portapotti
A photograph of the exterior and the interior may give a clue
I also have a couple of manuals somewhere about for the pre 1990 version
I suspect yours may be an earlier one

Des

Old May 18th 09, 05:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James Kemp

On Sun, 17 May 2009 10:10:42 +0100, Dougal
DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk allegedly wrote:

Aren't Swift still in business? Have you done the obvious and asked
them?

http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/home

I have e-mailed them, if I get a reply I'll pass the message on.

Old May 18th 09, 05:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James Kemp

On Sun, 17 May 2009 17:46:22 +0100, "Dieseldes"
allegedly wrote:
"James Kemp" wrote in message

I've recently inherited a Swift Danette. I would like to insure it and
need the chassis number to do so. It is not obvious where to find it
and I wondered if anyone could suggest where I might find it.

I have had a couple of Danettes, depending how old it is, which can
guessed by the type of handles whether moulded or bolt on, before 1990
after 1990 (approx), also the layout changed over the years, My 1989
had the id plate just by the bottom of the door. I can't remember where
the earlier one was.

Mine has bolt on handles rather than moulded. I'll have a look around the
door area as well as another look on the A frame around the drawbar.

Around 1990 they had a couple of versions, one had the oven and hot
water and cassette toilet and one had cold water only. and portapotti

That latter sounds like the description my cousin gave me when I agreed
to take on the caravan. She couldn't remember exactly how old it was
though. Things always seem to be longer ago than you thought they were...

A photograph of the exterior and the interior may give a clue I also
have a couple of manuals somewhere about for the pre 1990 version I
suspect yours may be an earlier one

I'll dig out some and stick them on the web.

Old May 19th 09, 05:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James Kemp

On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:55:03 +0100, Dougal
DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk allegedly wrote:

Probably somewhere on the A-frame. The problem could be that the detail
may have been on a rivetted plate which has since been lost - any sign
of holes that could have attached a plate? It is quite possible that a
hard stamped number may exist either under the plate location or
elsewhere.

It almost certainly is. I got a reply from Swift which said:

"All Swift caravans manufactured prior to 1992 had the serial / chassis
number stamped on the 'A' frame. Caravans manufactured after 1992 had the
serial number etched on all windows at eye level as well as being stamped
on the 'A' frame."

So looks like I need to take another much closer look at the A Frame.
With luck either the plate is well concealed, either that or I'll need to
hope that they punched through it onto the chassis. Might have to take a
screwdriver to assist in the search.