What do you cook outside with?

Old May 21st 09, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dribbler[_2_]

Default What do you cook outside with?

Last time we were on site, we became very aware at being the odd ones out.
Why?
Well.... everyone seemed to be cooking with gas outside of their
awnings/tents on the most wonderful assortments of stoves/BBQ's.
We watched one man cooking a full English for 8 on his waist-height gas
griddle. Later on he just folded it up and packed it away.....Wow! We want
to do that!
Any recommendations as to what to purchase? I've Googled away and ended up
being totally confused, what's the difference between calor and butane? Is
it to be considered? We would hate to spend hours cleaning a BBQ, love the
idea of the griddle and it must have legs and be collapsible.

Many thanks in advance,
Kay

Old May 21st 09, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Dribbler" wrote in message
Last time we were on site, we became very aware at being the odd ones out.
Why?
Well.... everyone seemed to be cooking with gas outside of their
awnings/tents on the most wonderful assortments of stoves/BBQ's.
We watched one man cooking a full English for 8 on his waist-height gas
griddle. Later on he just folded it up and packed it away.....Wow! We want
to do that!
Any recommendations as to what to purchase? I've Googled away and ended up
being totally confused, what's the difference between calor and butane? Is
it to be considered? We would hate to spend hours cleaning a BBQ, love the
idea of the griddle and it must have legs and be collapsible.

Pretty much everything you can buy will run on whatever you use in the
caravan, 28mb butane, 35(?)mb propane or the new 30mb system. From a
practical point of view the only difference between propane & butane is that
butane stops working when the outside temp gets below about 0C. Calor sell
both, as do Flogas and the others, but I can see no reason to buy butane,
the one day you really need it it wont work

If you fit an external gas point to the caravan then you don't need to hump
cylinders around for the BBQ, just plug it in the side of the 'van and use
the gas on board.

We take a two burner camping stove with grill so we can cook outside on the
table, but it could just as easily be a BBQ, griddle or paella dish. This
is plugged into the gas point on the side of the camper.

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 21st 09, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Dribbler" wrote in message
[...]

Forgot to say you can buy one of these external gas points here
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/outdoorleisureshop/

Rgds

Andy R

Old May 22nd 09, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Dribbler" wrote in message
[...]

I use a CADAC and it is absolutely fantastic, one can do anything on, the
meat seems much more tender and tasty, I have cooked most things on it
including a fabulous Paella for six people.
Then you can put it in a bag for carrying around.

Lofty

Old May 23rd 09, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Thu, 21 May 2009 14:15:39 +0100, "Dribbler"
wrote:

Last time we were on site, we became very aware at being the odd ones out.
Why?
Well.... everyone seemed to be cooking with gas outside of their
awnings/tents on the most wonderful assortments of stoves/BBQ's.
We watched one man cooking a full English for 8 on his waist-height gas
griddle. Later on he just folded it up and packed it away.....Wow! We want
to do that!
Any recommendations as to what to purchase? I've Googled away and ended up
being totally confused, what's the difference between calor and butane? Is
it to be considered? We would hate to spend hours cleaning a BBQ, love the
idea of the griddle and it must have legs and be collapsible.

Many thanks in advance,
Kay

My choice of outdoor cooker is a Coleman 424 petrol fueled twin burner
stove. I love this stove! Most often used with a small iron griddle
and a coffee pot, and sometimes with a large griddle across both
burners. The heat output of these stoves is considerable.

I use it on a folding steel stand intended for barbecues.

Neil