Levelling Aid

Old June 3rd 09, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
fscb

Default Levelling Aid

I've been looking for a good cheap levelling aid and came across one at
http://www.btinternet.com/~jazzworld/leveller/level.htm but I don't know
anything about them. Anybody seen or tried one. It seems an amazing concept
and very cheap too.

Old June 4th 09, 06:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

That device is probably more expensive and less accurate than a bowl of
water and certainly less accurate than most spirit levels.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money.

HTH,

Geoff

Old June 4th 09, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

fscb wrote:

I've been looking for a good cheap levelling aid and came across one
at http://www.btinternet.com/~jazzworld/leveller/level.htm but I
don't know anything about them. Anybody seen or tried one. It seems
an amazing concept and very cheap too.

We use a half-filled pop/water/whatever bottle .. don't get much
cheaper as you're using something you carry anyway.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp

Old June 4th 09, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

"fscb" g3rsm wrote:

I've been looking for a good cheap levelling aid and came across one at
http://www.btinternet.com/~jazzworld/leveller/level.htm but I don't know
anything about them. Anybody seen or tried one. It seems an amazing concept
and very cheap too.

It is a shame that Lambilevels are not made any more. Mine is
still going strong. They are large, externally mounted, spirit
levels, easily visible from the driving seat.

I don't understand, given the large moving arrow, why the fixed
one, viewed from the car, will just be a black rectangle.

A little crude geometry suggest that, for a cross-level error of
25 mm (1 inch), then the pendulum misalignment will be 1.5 mm
(1/16 inch). To detect this from the car is not easy.

Another problem I see with this device is that you presumably
have to climb into the van, find the device, put it in place,
then do your leveling. It doesn't look suitable for external
fitting.

I think the designer has missed a trick with the illuminated
version, by not utilising the suitability of perspex for edge
illumination.

Overall, I reckon the reason this has not been done before is
that it just doesn't work.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Old June 4th 09, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
Overall, I reckon the reason this has not been done before is
that it just doesn't work.

Chris

Or it just doesn't work well enough
--
hugh

Old June 4th 09, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

fscb explained :
I've been looking for a good cheap levelling aid and came across one at
http://www.btinternet.com/~jazzworld/leveller/level.htm but I don't know
anything about them. Anybody seen or tried one. It seems an amazing concept
and very cheap too.

Supposing that gadget has a pivot point to tip of the pointer distance
of 3" (difficult to judge the scale from just a photo), that would make
it almost useless to get a caravan even close to being level. In my
opinion it would be a complete waste of money. I would also suggest
that the OP is the seller and his contribution is therefore spam.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk