Mobile Internet

Old June 5th 09, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Kewley[_2_]

Default Mobile Internet

Dunno how many here are internet nerds, like me. In my attempts to
maintain a web connection on our travels with the van, I bought a 3
mobile PAYG dongle internet connection thingy. Big mistake.

3 mobile appears to offer the cheapest way of getting on the web whilst
travelling, consequently I bought one of their dongles. Sadly 3 mobile
merely serves to emphasise the truth of ' you get what you pay for '.
Despite the apparent value in it's bandwidth offering the truth is most
of the time the connection is so slow and unreliable, with frequent
dropped lines, that anybody would be hard pressed to take advantage of
the bandwidth available.

Finally, after my umpteenth dropped/slow connection, I gave up with 3
and decided to try an O2 version of a similar PAYG dongle set up. O2 is
slightly more expensive than 3 but so far I've found it's connections to
be consistently far better and so much more reliable than 3 mobile.

Sent from the Caravan Club, Wirral Country Park site, via my O2 PAYG
connection. O2 is retaining a steady 3G connection at 3.6 gigs,
checking the 3 mobile dongle it seems to be struggling to find a GPRS
connection at 56 mbs.

HTH for anybody interested.
--

Jim
Old June 5th 09, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
[...]

Well I am interested in an internet connection whilst away and would be
interested in knowing costs.

So far I have been to McDonalds and connected or local libraries for free
connections with my lap top
I just wish there was a reliable way to find Free wi-fi places, the Google
Search sites given are very lacking in locating them.
Would have thought free wi-fi would spread, if so will the system you
mention not be needed?

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old June 5th 09, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"David" wrote in message

"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
[...]

Here's a list that may be of some help
http://www.btopenzone.com/find/roaming/index.jsp

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 5th 09, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Roger Mills

Jim Kewley wrote:

[...]

I too bought a '3' dongle, and have been very disappointed with its
performance. I don't think I've *ever* achieved download speeds in excess of
1Mbps, and it's often not much better than dial-up speeds. In a recent
caravan trip to the New Forest I couldn't make the bl**dy thing work at at,
despite having had some sort of connection on the same site a few weeks
earlier - and despite hoisting the dongle high up outside the caravan on the
end of a USB extension lead.

The version I bought came bundled with 12G of usage - which expires after 12
months - and further top ups cost 10 for 1G or 1 month - whichever occurs
first. [There's no way I'm going to use 12G in 12 months because my use is
only occasional, when away from home - but it was a reasonably good deal at
the time].

One of the problems with the '3' setup (apart from it not working!) is that
it's time limited. So, for example, if you want to use it on a short caravan
trip, you have to buy a month's worth, and if you go on another trip (say) 6
weeks later, you have to buy another month's worth even if you've only used
a fraction of the previous month's bandwidth.

I see that Vodaphone are now offering a PAYG BB dongle for 39 - including a
bundled 1G of usage. AIUI - unlike the equivalent '3' offereng - this
doesn't time out, so you don't have to top it up until you actually run out
of bandwidth. Top-ups appear to cost 15 per 1G (as opposed to 3's 10) but,
if they don't expire after one month, may represent better value for
occasional users.

When my year's worth of '3' expires, I shall be very tempted to ditch '3'
and try Vodaphone instead - particularly if user reports in the meantime are
favourable.

Anyone got any experience of Vodaphone mobile broadband?

[I'm cross-posting this to uk.telecom.broadband and uk.telecom.mobile
because I think it's of wider interest than just the caravanning fraternity]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old June 5th 09, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Andy R" wrote in message

Well I am interested in an internet connection whilst away and would be
interested in knowing costs.

So far I have been to McDonalds and connected or local libraries for free
connections with my lap top
I just wish there was a reliable way to find Free wi-fi places, the
Google Search sites given are very lacking in locating them.
Would have thought free wi-fi would spread, if so will the system you
mention not be needed?

Here's a list that may be of some help
http://www.btopenzone.com/find/roaming/index.jsp

Think those are pay ones.
I was talking Free Wi-Fi finding sites.

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old June 5th 09, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
barno

I am using T Mobile for my mobile internet, on contract for 12 months,
15/month and no limit, though there is a fair use policy of 3g, never been
anywhere near that though. Coverage is great and speeds are very good, would
recommend them. I now believe that they are doing a deal with a phone so you
can use the phone as a modem and use the data minutes from that contract.

Neil

Old June 5th 09, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
RCC

I bought the Voda dongle - it works fine. There is a requirement to use
it periodically (I think once every 120 days). My main requirement is
to collect e-mails and do very basic web searches, look at train times,
stuff like that, on the few days I am away from home. E-mail collection
is very cheap - the balance goes down by about 10p every time I use it.
I still have over 14 left so GOK how Vodafone will make much money out
of me. I guess if my home office broadband goes down I will use it as a
backup, again mainly for e-mail so might spend a bit then.

I collect from a number of POP 3 addresses using Thunderbird,and an
associate company's Outlook web mail system. It connects via 3G when it
can and GPRS when it can't. Speed has not been an issue - but I am not
trying to download large files apart from the odd excel spreadsheet, and
am quite happy to sip my coffee whilst it gets on with things.

They are so cheap now - less than half a tank of petrol - and if I
travelled a lot I would be tempted to have 2 or 3 from different
networks and use whichever is best on the day. With some hotels
charging 15 a night for wireless access in London, it's a no brainer.
Beats having to eat in Macdonalds for their free wifi too.

It has a Micro SD card slot, so can use it as a memory stick as well.
One less thing to carry.

I am a very happy customer.

In message , Roger Mills
writes

Richard C
Old June 5th 09, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

David wrote:

"Andy R" wrote in message

Well I am interested in an internet connection whilst away and
would be interested in knowing costs.

So far I have been to McDonalds and connected or local libraries
for free connections with my lap top I just wish there was a
reliable way to find Free wi-fi places, the Google Search sites
given are very lacking in locating them. Would have thought free
wi-fi would spread, if so will the system you mention not be
needed?

Here's a list that may be of some help
http://www.btopenzone.com/find/roaming/index.jsp

Think those are pay ones.
I was talking Free Wi-Fi finding sites.

I use Wififofum on the PDA or netstumbler on the laptop to find 'open'
wifi .. .

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old June 5th 09, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry[_3_]

Jim Kewley wrote:

[...]

I've been using 3internet for 5quid month for some time now with a
smartphone as a modem, and it's acceptable most of the time.
The way I look at it is as mobile BB, at dial up prices.

Last week went for the much published 3 dongle of a fiver deal
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1703797

Unlocked it using , flash files
http://rapidshare.com/files/235523732/ZTE2.rar.html

and Telstra connection manager, with 3 settings
Now it's unlocked i can experiment with other networks.

I've tried Virgin Mobile's 30p per day internet, which works fine
except Virgins billing computer sometimes forgets 30p per day,
and debts at per mb rate, emptying my credit! ;-(

Now to try some other networks sims

Steve Terry

Old June 5th 09, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 01:47:19 +0100, Jim Kewley wrote:

[...]

I've got a Vodofone PAYG, which despite not working at home (but then
neither does my Vodofone mobile), works just fine everywhere else that has
a signal.

I went for Vodofone because your not forced to use it every month to keep
it active, unlike some of the others.

Richard
--
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk
....and so, as the short-sighted rhino of time attempts to mount the VW