Couple of things coming up in Lidl, are they any good?

Old June 8th 09, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave[_13_]

Default Couple of things coming up in Lidl, are they any good?

Hi,

I thought I would point people at a couple of things coming up in
Lidl, and ask peoples opinion on them. The one I was going to get is
a "Power Inverter, Run mains powered equipment from a 12V in-car power
supply" [1]. Does anyone know anything abut them, esp. if there is a
reason why this one is rubish. I mainly want it to be able to run my
laptop from my van.

The other thing I thought people may be interested in was a Portable
Satellite Receiver [2]. I was not going to get one, but I was
interested in that it said "Does not receive freeview™ or subscription
channels". One has to wonder, what does it get then?

HTH.

[1] http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...r_Inverter.ar6
[2] http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...e_Receiver.ar6
Old June 8th 09, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi,

I thought I would point people at a couple of things coming up in
Lidl, and ask peoples opinion on them. The one I was going to get is
a "Power Inverter, Run mains powered equipment from a 12V in-car power
supply" [1]. Does anyone know anything abut them, esp. if there is a
reason why this one is rubish. I mainly want it to be able to run my
laptop from my van.

I've used a cheap inverter for years in my camper running all sorts of
things, laptops, guitar amps, hair straighteners, DVD players, phone
chargers etc. I'd go for one a bit more powerful than this, you can get
600w for about £30 if you look around. The only prob you'll get is the odd
device wont run properly because it needs a 'proper' sine wave and
presumably relies on the peak voltage which cheap inverters don't have, they
use a 'modified' sine wave output which is often not far off of square.

The other thing I thought people may be interested in was a Portable
Satellite Receiver [2]. I was not going to get one, but I was
interested in that it said "Does not receive freeview™ or subscription
channels". One has to wonder, what does it get then?

All the free satellite channels, there are loads of them inc BBC, ITV etc.

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 8th 09, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Andy R" wrote in message

The other thing I thought people may be interested in was a Portable
Satellite Receiver [2]. I was not going to get one, but I was
interested in that it said "Does not receive freeviewT or subscription
channels". One has to wonder, what does it get then?

All the free satellite channels, there are loads of them inc BBC, ITV etc.

FREEVIEW is the terrestrial digital service this is a satellite reciever.
It will get all the free to air stations on Sky and Freesat, but note it
will not have the EPG of these 2. Will have one of its own so might not be
as easy to use as the other 2.
I wonder if the dish might be a bit small. Guess it made small to fit in
the carrying case.
At the money must be a bargain and I note 3 years warranty.

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old June 8th 09, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

David pretended :
FREEVIEW is the terrestrial digital service this is a satellite reciever.
It will get all the free to air stations on Sky and Freesat, but note it will
not have the EPG of these 2. Will have one of its own so might not be as
easy to use as the other 2.

Probably only 'Now and Next'.

I wonder if the dish might be a bit small. Guess it made small to fit in the
carrying case.

If ours is anything to go by, then it will be fine.

At the money must be a bargain and I note 3 years warranty.

The trick they play is Lidl (and or Aldi) guarantee it for a month or
so, then attempt to pass you back onto the manufacturer for the
remainder of the three years.

Under the SoG the seller is responsible for guaranteeing it is fit for
the purpose for a reasonable period of time, but try telling that to
either of them when something goes faulty and Trading Standards is
about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old June 8th 09, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...

At the money must be a bargain and I note 3 years warranty.

The trick they play is Lidl (and or Aldi) guarantee it for a month or so,
then attempt to pass you back onto the manufacturer for the remainder of
the three years.

Under the SoG the seller is responsible for guaranteeing it is fit for the
purpose for a reasonable period of time, but try telling that to either of
them when something goes faulty and Trading Standards is about as much use
as a chocolate fire guard.

Well if the manufacturer puts thinks right I would have no problem with
that.
Many items we buy we go back to the manufacturer for assistance under
warranty these days, a good example is our computers and equipment.

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old June 8th 09, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 05:13:55 -0700 (PDT), Dave
wrote:

Hi,

I thought I would point people at a couple of things coming up in
Lidl, and ask peoples opinion on them. The one I was going to get is
a "Power Inverter, Run mains powered equipment from a 12V in-car power
supply" [1]. Does anyone know anything abut them, esp. if there is a
reason why this one is rubish. I mainly want it to be able to run my
laptop from my van.

They generally work, but are very heavy on battery usage, so not a
good idea to use for long periods unless you are recharging the
battery continually.

The other thing I thought people may be interested in was a Portable
Satellite Receiver [2]. I was not going to get one, but I was
interested in that it said "Does not receive freeviewâ„¢ or subscription
channels". One has to wonder, what does it get then?

There is a distinction between "Freeview" and "Free to Air". It is the
latter only which this system (and the similar one available from
Maplin) can receive - which basically means only channels which are
transmitted unencrypted.

It does not have a slot for the decryption card that you need for
Freeview (the card being free or a nominal fee).
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
Old June 8th 09, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:

[...]

This Lidl unit is a satellite reciever not a terrestrial Freeview digi box.
( Freeview boxes do not use a Card, TopUp not doubt will.)

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old June 9th 09, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , David
writes

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Freeview boxes *can* use a card - optional, and not many do. But I have
one in order to receive Setanta. Also some TVs with built in Freeview
will also take the card - the latest Avtex or example. Again not many
offer this option.

However I think what the previous poster was referring to were the
channels available on satellite TV without paying a SKY subscription
which almost correlate to the channels available without subscription on
terrestrial digital TV (Freeview). These satellite channels are
available through what is referred to as FreeSat, broadcast by SKY but
for which you only pay a one-off purchase/installation fee. As part of
the package you would, if I understand Alex correctly, get a decryption
card necessary to receive these broadcasts but it seems that the
particular offering from LIDL referred to by the OP doesn't have the
facility to accept such a card and hence would not be able to receive
the "Free-to-Air" programs broadcast via FreeSat - at least that's how I
interpret what has been said.

Freesat has been set up as part of the digital switch over program and
SKY are specifically barred from trying to promote their subscription
services to those who take up Freesat for a period of 12 months IIRC.

--
hugh

Old June 9th 09, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , David

Freesat has been set up as part of the digital switch over program and SKY
are specifically barred from trying to promote their subscription services
to those who take up Freesat for a period of 12 months IIRC.

Freesat as nothing to do with Sky.
It was set up by the BBC and ITV and is a rival to SKY. I have Freesat and
no card is needed as they do not do subscription stations.

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old June 9th 09, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:03:29 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

In message , David
writes

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

But be careful talking about "freesat", as there are now two separate
services called that (just to keep us even more confused).

There is the one provided over the SKY service, which is the one you
have been talking of, but since last year, there is also a new BBC/ITV
"Freesat" service which is "Free to Air" rather than "Free to View",
and so *can* be picked up by the Lidl unit.

This does mean that there are more channels now available via the Lidl
type box than there were previously, but with restrictions - you won't
get the ITV HD service, nor will you get the interactive services.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=help.Question&id=1819

Freesat has been set up as part of the digital switch over program and
SKY are specifically barred from trying to promote their subscription
services to those who take up Freesat for a period of 12 months IIRC.

That is one of the two services called "Freesat"
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Folks who think they know it all bug those of us who do