Solar Panel to 12s plug

Old June 19th 09, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hirem Firem

Default Solar Panel to 12s plug

As to subject says, can I connect my 80watt panel with controler to a 7 pin
12s socket to plug into my caravan? Ifso what pins do I use

Old June 20th 09, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Hirem Firem wrote:
As to subject says, can I connect my 80watt panel with controller to a 7
pin 12s socket to plug into my caravan? If so what pins do I use?

There was an earlier thread on this subject "Solar panel connecting to a
13s socket/plug" of which you are aware.

I can't find the full thread now and I went away before it came to a
definite conclusion.

I was going to request further information as to whether this was a 7
pin 12S installation (as you now request) or a 13 pin installation.

I know nothing about 13 pin installations but the answer for 7 pin 12S
installation will depend on which side of the 1998(-ish) caravan wiring
change your installation falls.

For the pre-1998 caravan there is a direct connection to the battery
from the 12S plug so you will be able to connect without any messing about.

For the post-1998 caravan there is a relay/switch between the battery
and 12S plug which will need to be operated or bypassed. You could make
a new connection directly to the battery to be used purely for solar
charging or do something more complicated depending on your abilities.
Old June 20th 09, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Hirem Firem wrote:

As to subject says, can I connect my 80watt panel with controler to a
7 pin 12s socket to plug into my caravan? Ifso what pins do I use

How old is your caravan, and what do you want to use the power for?

Whatever the age, if you want to power the internal lights and water pump,
etc., Positive goes to Pin 4 and Negative to Pin 3. If you want the charge
the battery on a pre-1998 caravan, positive goes to Pin 2 and Negative to
pin 3. [Not sure about post-98].

I assume that you don't want to power the fridge - 'cos 80 watts won't do
it, anyway?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old June 23rd 09, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hirem Firem

Hi cheers for that. it is a 2000 eldiss, I just want to charge the battery
when out on site.
Stan

Old June 23rd 09, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hirem Firem

"Dougal" DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
. uk...
Hirem Firem wrote:
[...]

Yes I do remember that post, I misread the post at the time thinkink it was
7 and not 13 pin by the original poster.
Stan