parking on the road

Old July 1st 09, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dutchman

Default parking on the road

What is the legal position to park a caravan outside your house. I'm told
if it attached to a taxed car its OK but standing alone its illegal What
are the thoughts of this group
Thanks D..........

Old July 1st 09, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Dutchman" wrote in message
What is the legal position to park a caravan outside your house. I'm told
if it attached to a taxed car its OK but standing alone its illegal What
are the thoughts of this group
Thanks D..........

Makes sense, for it to be illegal.

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old July 1st 09, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Dutchman wrote:

What is the legal position to park a caravan outside your house. I'm told
if it attached to a taxed car its OK but standing alone its illegal What
are the thoughts of this group
Thanks D..........

Firstly are you thinking of being on a public highway, land which is not
your own but is not a highway or on your own property?

As you mention tax I'm guessing that it's the former.
Old July 1st 09, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Dutchman" wrote in message
What is the legal position to park a caravan outside your house. I'm told
if it attached to a taxed car its OK but standing alone its illegal What
are the thoughts of this group

Sadly the thoughts of this group are irrelevant, it's the law you need to
consult, google's not a bad place to start.

From www.askthe.police.uk you get:
Possibly, from a police point of view, as long as it does not cause an
obstruction. When parking your caravan try and park it as considerately as
possible for other residents in the street.
The caravan MUST be lit at night if it is parked on a road and comply with
the other normal parking rules (the nearside must face the pavement so the
rear lights are at the rear for approaching traffic).

From www.direct.gov.uk you get:
Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid
carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a
road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are
at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and
facing in the direction of the traffic flow
in a recognised parking place or lay-by
Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST
NOT be left on a road at night without lights.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 1st 09, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KAW

"Dougal" DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
. uk...
Dutchman wrote:

What is the legal position to park a caravan outside your house. I'm
told if it attached to a taxed car its OK but standing alone its illegal
What are the thoughts of this group
Thanks D..........

Firstly are you thinking of being on a public highway, land which is not
your own but is not a highway or on your own property?

As you mention tax I'm guessing that it's the former.

As I understand it its legal to park a caravan on the road but after dark it
must display lights which would mean that it would normally have to be
hitched to the car.

Old July 1st 09, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , KAW
writes

Dutchman wrote:

What is the legal position to park a caravan outside your house. I'm
told if it attached to a taxed car its OK but standing alone its illegal
What are the thoughts of this group
Thanks D..........

Firstly are you thinking of being on a public highway, land which is not
your own but is not a highway or on your own property?

As you mention tax I'm guessing that it's the former.

As I understand it its legal to park a caravan on the road but after dark it
must display lights which would mean that it would normally have to be
hitched to the car.

AIUI there is no legal right to park anything on the road as it
constitutes obstruction
--
hugh

Old July 1st 09, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , KAW
writes

"Dougal" DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
t.uk...
Dutchman wrote:

What is the legal position to park a caravan outside your house. I'm
told if it attached to a taxed car its OK but standing alone its illegal
What are the thoughts of this group
Thanks D..........

Firstly are you thinking of being on a public highway, land which is not
your own but is not a highway or on your own property?

As you mention tax I'm guessing that it's the former.

As I understand it its legal to park a caravan on the road but after dark it
must display lights which would mean that it would normally have to be
hitched to the car.

AIUI there is no legal right to park anything on the road as it constitutes
obstruction
--
hugh

It all depends

A street not far from me has 2 Butty Vans and a couple of caravans

They've been there for more than 3 years with no problems and its a reasonably
main road

A neighbour on my street complained about the van next door that was parked
outside for 24 hours while he got it ready for his holidays

Needless to say there's been problems ever since

DieSea

Old July 1st 09, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"DieSea" wrote in message

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , KAW
writes

"Dougal" DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk wrote in message
et.uk...
Dutchman wrote:

[...]

The o/p asked "What is the legal position to park a caravan outside your
house". I cannot see anything in your post that answers this in any way at
all (unless you suspect he's also a bit peckish and hopes to source a bacon
roll when he's in your area).

Rgds,

Andy R

Old July 4th 09, 06:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

From www.askthe.police.uk you get:

From www.direct.gov.uk you get:
Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid
carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a
road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they
are
at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and
facing in the direction of the traffic flow
in a recognised parking place or lay-by
Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST
NOT be left on a road at night without lights.

Rgds

Andy R

And I think it was sometime in the 50s Lord Justice Goddard denied an appeal
from a motorist by decreeing that "Any vehicle that remains stationary on
any road, at any time, must cause obstruction, because it prevents another
person from using that part of the highway and obstructing the highway is an
offence" Maybe not the exact wording but that was what the police were
taught at training schools in 1956.

Regards.
Dave

Old July 5th 09, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JTM

In article ,
Dave D wrote:

And I think it was sometime in the 50s Lord Justice Goddard denied an
appeal from a motorist by decreeing that "Any vehicle that remains
stationary on any road, at any time, must cause obstruction, because it
prevents another person from using that part of the highway and
obstructing the highway is an offence" Maybe not the exact wording
but that was what the police were taught at training schools in 1956.

Regards. Dave

Where I live, (Burnley, Lancs) the then Borough police used this all the
time for any veh parked on the footpath in the 50's 60's and 70's. But
these days, traffic movement would be impossible on many roads without the
footpaths being used.

The problems arise when some drivers ignore the needs of pedestrians and
other users. Planners seldom know the conditions that will be common in
100 yrs from now.

John

--
John Mulrooney

Research suggests that over 90% of pedestrians are the result of an accident