UK Coachman are they supposed to be better ?

Old July 2nd 09, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave[_14_]

Default UK Coachman are they supposed to be better ?

Quick tail of UK caravan.

Up until a few months ago I had a UK spec Hymer Nova 555, previous to that a
German spec Knaus sudwind without an ounce of trouble from both of them.
Because I needed a 5 berth layout I looked at some UK vans, Bailey, Swift
Charisma 540 and the Coachman Amara 550, I knew someone at a large UK dealer
who (without naming names have just avoided administration) could offer a
great deal.

Anyway because we thought the Coachman was better built we went for a 550
Amara. We have had it 12 weeks and after the first time we used it we
noticed a horizontal crack in a side panel of the shower unit. I also
noticed a host of other minor problems that you should not have on a new
van, broken blinds, track of bedroom divider coming off. Also I wanted to
fit a roof air-con only to be told "O dear sir you can't fit a roof air-con,
you have to have one specially built for that !"

The small bits I didn't mind fixing but the shower cubicle was a factory
job. I contacted the supplying dealer who said to contact coachman which I
did. I sent in pictures by e-mail followed by a further 5-6 phone calls same
amount of e-mails and 2 letters. After an initial promise of "it will be
sorted next week" 9 weeks after we got it someone on behalf of Coachman came
out and sorted it. Fortunately holidays are not till mid July but that's not
the point. Also to be fair the company that came out did an excellent job.

I know that the UK caravans have a reputation for poor build quality but we
thought we were safe(r) with a coachman. I know you can occasionally have
the odd problem but its the way that it gets sorted that judges the
dealer/manufacture. I decided to get rid and I have been lucky enough to get
back what I paid. I just think in these trying times the UK manufactures
should be doing it better and if and when the Euro weakens and the Euro
caravans start to make a comeback the UK manufactures only have them selves
to blame.

I have now ordered a German Fendt, not cheap but so, so much better built
and I can even have a roof air-con without it falling through the roof !

Dave.

Old July 2nd 09, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Dave
writes
Also I wanted to fit a roof air-con only to be told "O dear sir you
can't fit a roof air-con, you have to have one specially built for that
!"

Snip
Sounds a bit fishy. I've had dealer fitted air con no problems (not on
a Coachman) Did they give nay technical reason?
--
hugh

Old July 3rd 09, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave[_14_]

Re roof a/c, Coachman say they stopped fitting roof spars in 2007 and if you
want one you have a have a "special build" and they fit them. Reason for not
fitting them is "to save money" in coachman's own words !

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Dave
writes

Old July 3rd 09, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Dave
writes
Re roof a/c, Coachman say they stopped fitting roof spars in 2007 and
if you want one you have a have a "special build" and they fit them.
Reason for not fitting them is "to save money" in coachman's own words !

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Dave
writes
Also I wanted to fit a roof air-con only to be told "O dear sir you
can't fit a roof air-con, you have to have one specially built for
that !"

Snip
Sounds a bit fishy. I've had dealer fitted air con no problems (not
on a Coachman) Did they give nay technical reason?
-- hugh

Glad I didn't buy a Coachman then.

--
hugh