Knackered Truma gas regulator on a 2-year old van - thought the Truma regulator oil contamination problem was solved!

Old July 20th 09, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default Knackered Truma gas regulator on a 2-year old van - thought the Truma regulator oil contamination problem was solved!

I have just come back from a weekend at the Latitude Festival in Suffolk. A
great weekend even after taking into account the heavy showers. However, the
experience was spoilt a bit by gas problems in the caravan.

As now we have become silver festivalgoers we decided to take the caravan. I
have a 2007 Bailey Senator Series 5 Indiana. Thought that I would beat the
festival loos, washing facilities and expensive food by taking my own van.
Got there, turn on the gas but the pressure was very low so connected the
new cylinder. I had not connected the new bottle before leaving home. The
pressure was still low, so after much trying out various things without
success I abandoned the thoughts of hot showers and good food for the
weekend. Fortunately, managed enough pressure to keep fridge going so beer
and wine chilled. I found that I could boil water for a couple of cups of
tea in 30 mins.

So did mange the personal loo facilities but had to manage with washing in
cold water.

I suspected my connector to the 7KG Calor Butane Cylinder was not working
100% but on arrival home and testing with a Propane cylinder got the same
result. A call to Bailey confirmed my worst fear that my regulator is
knackered. I said that I had heard about the problem of oil contaminated
Truma regulators was a problem about 3 years ago but though it was solved by
the time that the 2007 Bailey range was launched by the siting of the
regulator higher than the gas bottle. The helpful man said that the Caravan
Club and others had suggested this as a solution it had not solved the
problem completely but seemed to delay the onset of the oil contamination of
the regulator. He said that Bailey had just last week started tests of a new
regulator from a company called a Clesse that may solve the problem. He said
that they are available in the UK.

I see that the Caravan Club statement of March/April 2007 is still on the
web at
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdon...orFailures.pdf

Although my 'van is just 2 years old I have used it a look and guess it has
had the use of a normal 5-year old 'van.

My wife was not happy with me as she thinks I should have tested everything
out before we went. Yes, she has a point but I did counter with the argument
that it may have worked OK on Wednesday before we left home and failed on
Thursday!

Has anyone had recent experience of this problem or had it in the past and
have a solution?

Thanks!

--

Jim

Old July 21st 09, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lorne Henry

Hi if you look in Caravan Talk under Swift Caravans you will find the same
thing on my Swift Challenger 530 2008 Model Swift UK refuse to do anything
about it. I reckon it has had about 3 hours use as it has hardly been out.
At my own cost I have fitted a new Truma Gas regulator with stainless steel
hose not rubber as I think this is where the problem lies. Truma has also
said it will not take any responsibility for its own products I always
thought a product had to be fit for purpose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have also made a complaint to the Caravan club UK no reply yet.
If you get the chance post a comment on my log as manufacturers do not want
this to be aired.

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/130610135.aspx
Old July 22nd 09, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Lorne Henry
writes
I always
thought a product had to be fit for purpose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does - and it is the retailer in the first instance who is
responsible. Have a word with local Trading Standards - if you can find
one :-(
The retailer may try to fob you off with "out of warranty" but that is
actually irrelevant. A warranty is a voluntary offering by the retailer,
usually backed by the manufacturer and as it says in the small print
does not affect your statutory rights.

IANAL
--
hugh

Old July 22nd 09, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Lorne Henry
writes
I always
thought a product had to be fit for purpose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does - and it is the retailer in the first instance who is responsible. Have
a word with local Trading Standards - if you can find one :-(
The retailer may try to fob you off with "out of warranty" but that is actually
irrelevant. A warranty is a voluntary offering by the retailer, usually backed
by the manufacturer and as it says in the small print does not affect your
statutory rights.

IANAL
--
hugh

Trading Standards can usualy be found at County Hall

Preston is the one for Lancashire

CAB will tell you

Its cheaper for them to change a regulator than employ a solicitor

Yours CAN be for Free , They have to pay theirs !!

Start the Ball rolling with a letter to the retailer , RECORDED delivery

With a copy to Trading Standards

Let both know that the other party has been copied the letter

DieSea

Old July 25th 09, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Gm4dhj/M

"DieSea" wrote in message

"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

why do you act stupid on uk amateur but sound normal here ? .....

Old July 30th 09, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
StephenGates

web athttp://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/6B25990C-4013-4334-8D5C-FBD...

Although my 'van is just 2 years old I have used it a look and guess it has
had the use of a normal 5-year old 'van.

My wife was not happy with me as she thinks I should have tested everything
out before we went. Yes, she has a point but I did counter with the argument
that it may have worked OK on Wednesday before we left home and failed on
Thursday!

Has anyone had recent experience of this problem or had it in the past and
have a solution?

Thanks!

--

Jim

Hi Jim,
I had exactly the same problem with the Truma regulator on our 2008
Sterling caravan and after reading all the blurb, I decided not to
bother with Truma anymore as they do not seem to understand the phrase
"fit for purpose". We have been using Calor gas with rubber hoses for
many years without seeing this problem. I've bought a Clesse
regulator from Socal UK. Their service is excellent and it only took 2
days to arrive. I'm confident that this will provide me with long
trouble free service as it says in their instructions "Diaphragm and
gasket made of an elastomer resistant to LPG".
I cannot understand why Truma, knowing of this problem for many years
have not changed their diaphragm material to something that will not
be contaminated by the oily residue from the gas.
It seems that they are more concerned with protecting their own
interests at the expense of having to service multiple and repeated
warranty claims.

I hope you also find a satisfactory solution to this issue.
Old January 2nd 11, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Holman

Default Knackered Truma gas regulator on a 2-year old Abbey 215 Dec 2010

Just had the same problem.
On mine a considerable amount of oil dripped from the outlet of the
regulator not the inlet where Truma infer the contaminant is coming from.
It is my belief that the oil is part of the regulator used as a damper for
the diaphragm and that the contents are leaking internally. I think the hose
theory is a red herring.
It may well be that my regulator leaked more than most but those of you that
still have the old regulator try turning the unit on its end (outlet down &
tap open) and see if oil runs out.

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/130610135.aspx
Old May 20th 12, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Sadowski

Well well well, so Truma will not take responsibility, that says it all for a company t=
hat produces ****e equipment, I too have the same problem with my Truma, or should I sa=
y TRAUMA crap regulator fitted to my Swift charisma620, I felt I should talk to the car=
avan club about this but why bother with them if they are not interested at all,though=
they are happy to take your fee for the year. I will shop around for a new and better regu=
lator or just go back to using the old style one that NEVER FAILED,I am so sick of compan=
ys flogging the great new ideas of new equipment only for it all to turn out a peice of CR=
AP, some of these so called engineers could not design a ruddy fish box.I was quoted =C2=
=A350 for a new truma from a dealer in Inverness, ouch says I for the very small time tha=
t this piece of gear is in actual use I feel that after four and a half years I should get a=
refund of =C2=A349.99, do these engineers think that we have to change our gas boxes o=
n the side of the house every few weeks? NUMPTIES the lot of them, just another case of R=
IP OFF BRITTAIN.

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/130610135.aspx
Old May 23rd 12, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ganda

"David Sadowski" wrote in message
.. .
Well well well, so Truma will not take responsibility, that says it all for
a company that produces ****e equipment, I too have the same problem with my
Truma, or should I say TRAUMA crap regulator fitted to my Swift charisma620,
I felt I should talk to the caravan club about this but why bother with them
if they are not interested at all,though they are happy to take your fee for
the year. I will shop around for a new and better regulator or just go back
to using the old style one that NEVER FAILED,I am so sick of companys
flogging the great new ideas of new equipment only for it all to turn out a
peice of CRAP, some of these so called engineers could not design a ruddy
fish box.I was quoted 50 for a new truma from a dealer in Inverness, ouch
says I for the very small time that this piece of gear is in actual use I
feel that after four and a half years I should get a refund of 49.99, do
these engineers think that we have to change our gas boxes on the side of
the house every few weeks? NUMPTIES the lot of them, just another case of
RIP OFF BRITTAIN.

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/130610135.aspx

I use the old style, had it 10 years, it's just rolled over and died last
time out. Good job I was carrying a spare, 6.00 worth. Like you said rip of
Britian. I was looking for a tap for the Bathroom, I've been filling the
sink for a while by strectching the shower hose across. 70! I'll continue
to use the shower head.......

Old May 26th 12, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pendrag0n

On Wed, 23 May 2012 23:04:31 +0100, "ganda"
wrote:

"David Sadowski" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I suspect the engineers have finally caught on and are or will soon be
making everything an annual consumable. More fool us for buying the
stuff.