Caravan Club Red Pennant gripe

Old July 22nd 09, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
guy

Default Caravan Club Red Pennant gripe

My family and i have just got back from a Caravanning holiday in the south of France.

The holiday was turned into a fiasco thanks to the Caravan Clubs Red Pennant Insuranc=
e after we had our Caravan damaged by an attempted break in on the journey down.

Our Hymer Caravan managed to keep out the intruder but the locks were so badly damaged=
that we could no longer lock the van to make it secure.

All was reported to the French police and we continued to our site. On the Sunday were w=
e reported the damage to the clubs red pennant insurance. We were told that under no ci=
rcumstance should we leave the van unattended in this state.

11 FULL DAYS LATER of failed attempts to get my van made secure by the clubs insurance I=
was forced to go inland and find a replacement myself and found a complete identical d=
oor handle and lock made by Zadi... to my surprise i was told it was a common off the shel=
f part

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store...8bfd5545d8814d

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store...eys-p-555.html

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/zadi_locks.htm

My gripe with the insurance is that we were never offered any continuation of our holi=
day, which the club boasts as why Red Pennant Insurance is different to normal cover e=
lsewhere.

sO my wife and i had to take it in turns to stop with the van meant we could not all go out to=
gether as a family

When i arrived back in the UK we made a complaint to a Mr Bill Smith who has rejected our c=
laim that our holiday was ruined and that the club did all it could, even though it coul=
dn=E2=80=99t find a solution.

Mr Smith stated to me in a phone call today 22/07/09 that our claim would have to have co=
me out of club funds and that it was not fair to other members. Because in his opinion we=
did not take reasonable care to protect ourselves and our property because we had par=
ked in an aires and were inside the locked up van (I dont know if this is a particular con=
dition of the insurace that you cannot stay in your own locked van in these rest areas)=
but we feel we took every reasonable care at all times.

My family and i who have been members of the Caravan Club for over 5 years, feel very agg=
rieved because i have had 5Cs Caravan insurance for my caravan for 5 years, for the las=
t 4 years have used Red Pennant Insurance on similar trips abroad as well as full mayda=
y cover for my car. And our first ever claim has been dealt with in such a manner.

Guy

url:http://myreader.co.uk/gp/1306-1.aspx
Old July 23rd 09, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
broadssailor

On 22 July, 22:25, wrote:
[...]

When i arrived back in the UK we made a complaint to a Mr Bill Smith who has rejected our claim that our holiday was ruined and that the club did all it could, even though it couldn’t find a solution.

[...]

Worth trying the Insurance Ombudsman perhaps? We had a problem with an
insurer over a home policy (not CC) and were getting nowhere, untill
we mentioned the apparently 'magic' phrase, "can you tell us how to
refer this mater to the Insurance Ombudsman please" All of a sudden,
they could help us!

As for the claim that " our claim would have to have come out of club
funds and that it was not fair to other members."
Sheer bollox! The Caravan Club is a business and it's run like a
business. However It doesn't have share holders, it has members, and
it is they on whom it depends for its income. The Insurance element
is all underwritten outside the organisation.
Old July 24th 09, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Gm4dhj/M

best not rely on any insurance of any kind unless it is a legal requirement
and just spend the money saved on buying and fitting that lock.....

Old July 26th 09, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Furry Fred[_4_]

On Jul 24, 6:06*pm, "Jim Gm4dhj/M" wrote:
best not rely on any insurance of any kind unless it is a legal requirement
and just spend the money saved on buying and fitting that lock.....

Surely the CC act as brokers and farm out the insurance risk to
underwriters and do not stand the risk themselves.

If this is the case how can Bill Smith - or anyone else - say that
"the money has to come out of Club funds"

--

Furry Fred
Old July 28th 09, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Balcombe

"Furry Fred" wrote in message
On Jul 24, 6:06 pm, "Jim Gm4dhj/M" wrote:
best not rely on any insurance of any kind unless it is a legal
requirement
and just spend the money saved on buying and fitting that lock.....

Surely the CC act as brokers and farm out the insurance risk to
underwriters and do not stand the risk themselves.

If this is the case how can Bill Smith - or anyone else - say that
"the money has to come out of Club funds"

--

Furry Fred

Thanks for the warning - I know where not to get my caravan insured now!

Peter

Old July 28th 09, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"Peter Balcombe" wrote in message

"Furry Fred" wrote in message
On Jul 24, 6:06 pm, "Jim Gm4dhj/M"
wrote:
best not rely on any insurance of any kind unless it is a
legal requirement
and just spend the money saved on buying and fitting that
lock.....

Surely the CC act as brokers and farm out the insurance risk to
underwriters and do not stand the risk themselves.

If this is the case how can Bill Smith - or anyone else - say
that
"the money has to come out of Club funds"

--

Furry Fred

Thanks for the warning - I know where not to get my caravan
insured now!

Peter

No connection, but I have found CaravanGuard to be very good.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 1st 11, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Will Kenton

Thanks for that info, I was just about to join Red Pennant and found your
letter, so will now cross them off my list and look elsewhere. Thanks again
Will

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/130610138.aspx
Old February 1st 11, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

Be interesting to know who you would select in place of Red Pennant? You get
far more validations about the excellent service offered by Red Pennant than
you do about any other similar service. The incident was widely reported in
many forums and as far as I could tell was a one off subject by the OP. If
all that was needed was a new caravan door lock for a Hobby caravan there
would have been a dealer locally that could have sorted the problem.
Personally I would have rather done that than wasted the holiday. In the end
it seemed he was more interested in claiming compensation. Wonder how he got
on.

David

.. .

Old February 1st 11, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Hutson

From personal experience with Red Pennant over 20 years

1991 (abt)SAAB 9000. France Autoroute fan belt and damage to pulleys

Within 1.5 hours .car in garage I had a spare fan belt .Inspection at garage
revealed damage to some pulley or other. Van taken to campsite overnight
offer of hire car.
Next day spare ordered delay overnight buy part delivered by courier next
day. Ready to make a start next morning.

1996. Same SAAB. Dreaded snake only 70 minutes into a four week
holiday..Double writeoff but no injuries.
Phoned Red Pennant from Garage. Reassured 'Your wife will want to go home
but don't make up your mind too quickly. Within an hour they had arranged a
taxi to take us to Dieppe to pick up a hire Renault and had booked us into a
hotel.
We returned to garage picked up the bits and pieces from wreckage. Called
Red Pennant (By the way they always rang back at their expense calls were
always made through them and they with my permission stayed on the line as
they had a lot of experience) They reserved a static van for us at our final
destination in SW France. We loaded the car with things that we would need
and started a liesurley trip SWstaying at budget hotels. After three weeks
we returned to the disaster area and were booked into another holiday
bungalow, which as the duration of stay was known red pennant had paid for
at the time of booking.We returnede our car which was not insured for UK to
City of Europe and picked up a Hertz Rental car to take us home.

They liased with my insurers and did all the arranging of a vehicle
inspection by an engineer.
They paid all car hire charges. Hotel charges plus I think £7.50 each meal
allowance. Cost of three week stay in static,all garage expenses and removal
of wreck. In the course of our stay we had two calls on my mobile to ask how
we were.

2008 Problem with removable towbar. arranged a replacement to be sent to
site and offered to get a garage to fit it but not necessary as I had all
the tools required

I'm not knocking any other company as I haven't experience but I'm not
looking anywhere else. What was there all the time was friendliness,
reassjurance

.. .

Old February 2nd 11, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea[_2_]

"Alan Hutson" wrote in message

Rather a LARGE SNIP

I've yet to hear of any BAD REPORTS of the Red Pennant Insurance of the Caravan
Club

We've used them twice , once on a trip to Sweden and another on a trip to France

Fortunately we didn't have a problem on either

We'll use them again , of that I'm sure

This year we're a planning a six week trip back to the Loire

What's different this time

This time it's not going to be a 10 foot van and an Espace

Its going to be a 24 foot van and a Discovery

( think that's a bit over 12 meters , OUCH !!)

It's in the planning stages

And I'm told the French don't like twin axles (could be wrong !!)

--
DieSea