Western European campsites

Old July 31st 09, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

Default Western European campsites

Just spotted Archie has updated his POIs

http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/

Keith

Old July 31st 09, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

Keith

Archies site is brilliant for camping POI's. Not sure how we would have
found some campsites in Europe without them! He is appreciative of people
sending him the coordinates for those that might not be in his list although
he tells me he is increasing confident that there should not be many now!

David

Old July 31st 09, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

"Keith" wrote in message
Just spotted Archie has updated his POIs

http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/

Keith

Keith and David

What an excellent site. I've added a link, so hopefully Archie will get
more visitors and more income.

Richard
--
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk
....well, that's all the extracts we have time for. Samantha is
Old August 1st 09, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Keith" wrote in message
Just spotted Archie has updated his POIs

http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/

Keith

Keith or David,

I have a TomTom ONE XL and spend quite a bit of time adding my own POIs with
the use of Google maps and the satellite picture of campsites but I am a bit
unsure of how to add Archie's POIs to my device.
Could you please advise in single steps exactly how it is done.

Many thanks.
Regards.
Dave

Old August 1st 09, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 15:01:51 +0100, "Dave D"
wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message
Just spotted Archie has updated his POIs

http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/

Keith

Keith or David,

I have a TomTom ONE XL and spend quite a bit of time adding my own POIs with
the use of Google maps and the satellite picture of campsites but I am a bit
unsure of how to add Archie's POIs to my device.
Could you please advise in single steps exactly how it is done.

Dave

Look at http://www.tomtomfree.com/Install_POI.htm which tells you how to
install them.

I will add that when you open the zip file there is a file with the name
readme_tomtom.txt shown in the path starting TOMTOM-ov2_Archie.

Read the readme_tomtom.txt file (double click on it in WinZip), then
extract (or drag and drop) the readme and the other two files in the same
Path to your Hard Disk.

Then follow steps 3 through 6 of the instructions in the readme:
3. Connect your TomTom with the pc
4. Open with Explorer on your mobile device on the CF- or SD-card the map
in which you want to install the poi's (i.e. Western_Europe). In here you
see the files cline.dat a.s.o.
5. Copy from the unzipped download the two files (i.e.
Archies_CC-campings.ov2 en Archies_CC-campings.bmp) and paste them into
your countrymap (beside cline.dat a.s.o.)
6. Ready for use!

Richard
--
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk
Top 20 Replies by Programmers When Their Programs Don't Work: 10. "I
Old August 3rd 09, 05:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Richard Cole" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 15:01:51 +0100, "Dave D"
wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Many thanks Richard. I will have a go.

Regards.
Dave

Old August 6th 09, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Keith" wrote in message
Just spotted Archie has updated his POIs

http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/

Keith

Keith or David,

I have a TomTom ONE XL and spend quite a bit of time adding my own POIs
with the use of Google maps and the satellite picture of campsites but I
am a bit unsure of how to add Archie's POIs to my device.
Could you please advise in single steps exactly how it is done.

Many thanks.
Regards.
Dave

Just unzip and extract the .bmp and .ov2 files into your map folder
(Western_and_Central_Europe in my case) - assuming you've downloaded the TT
file.

Keith

Old August 6th 09, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

Default Western European campsites - Part 2

"Keith" wrote in message
Just spotted Archie has updated his POIs

http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/

Keith

Another site I find useful is:

http://www.scdb.info/my/downloadsection.php

where scdb stands for speed camera database. Allegedly EU countries have to
supply location data to Brussels (or is it Strasbourg or Luxembourg?) in a
'timely manner'. If you have your own website AND include an advert for
them (example below) you can retrieve updates for free. Countries available
include Western & Central Europe, Eastern Europe (including Russia), New
Zealand, UAE, Oman, Canada, USA, South Africa, Morocco, Malta, Kuwait,
Iceland, Cyprus, Brazil & Australia.

If one just accepts all cameras as one category (no differentiation of type
and speed) and all available countries, the full file (.ov2) is only about
524KB (as of today); so I shove the entire file into my maps folders -
choose your preferred icon.

Top left of the site lets you choose your sat-nav type.

Code for scdb advert:

Our Tip: a href="http://www.scdb.info/en/"
SCDB.info - the most up-to-date speed camera database in Europe for
your Navi/a

Assuming knowledge of HTML.

Enjoy, I've used it for about four years.

Keith

Old August 6th 09, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

"Keith" wrote in message

"Keith" wrote in message
[...]

Should have explained why I use 'All Countries': TomTom 'ignores' POis
outside of your 'active' map (so not having, say, Oman, is no problem) and I
can't be bothered to remember which 33 countries are included in the W&CE
map.

Keith

Old August 7th 09, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

"Keith" wrote in message

[...]

I have removed all Speed camera POI's from my TomTom as certainly in
Switzerland ( I appreciate its not in the EU!) and I think in Germany( now
or soon) you are not allowed to use a Sat nav with such POI's. You risk a
heavy fine or confiscation of the equipment.