Wheel bearing replacement after 5 years?

Old August 7th 09, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
g4hlf

Default Wheel bearing replacement after 5 years?

Hi all,

Just had my 5 year old van serviced, this was the first service for 3
year.

The caravan is an Abbey 520 (2003) and has done no more then 4000
miles absolute max.

Took the van in on Tuesday, due to pick it up tomorrow and got a call
at 17:30 to say sorry Sir might not be ready tomorrow both wheel
bearings need replacing.

I asked why, he replied saying they were sealed for life but had
leaked, I replied then I presume they are faulty? He also tried to
tell me my rollers required replacing on my motor mover which even I
know is not correct!

Long and short is I do not trust them and asked them to leave them
alone and I will collect tomorrow as planned.

Is it common for bearings to "leak" and if so would I expect to feel
play when jacking up the wheel?

Paul

To put my mind at rest I need them checking by someone else
Old August 7th 09, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
METWO

"g4hlf" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Paul

I would not expect both wheel bearings to go, after only 4000 miles, poss
one could
fail, but I assume no one has done anything at the bearings ?

I would certainly tell the Trading standards about the caravan place, and
get another dealer to check them out

metwo

Old August 7th 09, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

METWO presented the following explanation :
I would not expect both wheel bearings to go, after only 4000 miles, poss one
could
fail, but I assume no one has done anything at the bearings ?

They should be good for maybe 100,000 miles. What might damage them -
is if the brakes were left on and the drum overheated, causing the
seals to deteriorate. I doubt you would get far without noticing the
handbrake were left on.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old August 7th 09, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

"METWO" wrote in message
news
"g4hlf" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure Trading Standards could help? Surely the van, if it is a 2003 model
it's nearer 7 years or and at least 6 years old! If a van has not been
serviced for 3 years might that not be a contributary factor? Had it been
regularly serviced a potential problem might have been averted? Did you take
it to a Swift approved workshop? By all means get a second opinion but if it
turns out that they agree it will end up costing you more.

Old August 7th 09, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

David Klyne presented the following explanation :
Not sure Trading Standards could help? Surely the van, if it is a 2003 model
it's nearer 7 years or and at least 6 years old! If a van has not been
serviced for 3 years might that not be a contributary factor? Had it been
regularly serviced a potential problem might have been averted? Did you take
it to a Swift approved workshop? By all means get a second opinion but if it
turns out that they agree it will end up costing you more.

His thinking is along the lines of there may not be anything actually
wrong with the bearings and the dealer is just looking for work.

Old August 7th 09, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_3_]

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
David Klyne presented the following explanation :
Not sure Trading Standards could help? Surely the van, if it is a 2003
model it's nearer 7 years or and at least 6 years old! If a van has not
been serviced for 3 years might that not be a contributary factor? Had it
been regularly serviced a potential problem might have been averted? Did
you take it to a Swift approved workshop? By all means get a second
opinion but if it turns out that they agree it will end up costing you
more.

His thinking is along the lines of there may not be anything actually
wrong with the bearings and the dealer is just looking for work.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Harry

Surely that has to be proved before jumping to any conclusions? I think I
was just pointing out that with the age of the van and the service history
that might be more difficult! What you said previously could well be the
case. Problems with the brakes could well cause a problem with the bearings
especially if they have overheated and damaged the seal. Was stopped by a
lorry driver in France once because I had smoke pouring from my wheels
because the hand brake had not been released correctly, hands up I should
have been more carefull. When I had the next service they were concerned
that the bearing seal may have been damaged, fortunately I was OK. I am now
a bit paranoid about making sure the hand brake is off before setting out on
a journey!

Old August 7th 09, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

David Klyne laid this down on his screen :
Surely that has to be proved before jumping to any conclusions?

Absolutely.

I think I
was just pointing out that with the age of the van and the service history
that might be more difficult!

I don't think he was thinking of claiming against the original
supplier, so age and service has no relevance - other than it is not
that old and not done nearly enough miles to wear out a set of bearings
under normal circumstances.

So either the circumstances are not normal or the dealer is trying to
pull a fast one.

Old August 7th 09, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
g4hlf

Thanks for the reply's chaps.

I am not aware of ever leaving the handbrake on and driving away, if I
did do this would I not also expect excessive wear of the brake shoes?

I had the van serviced for year 1, 2, 3 for the warranty but then left
it 2/3 years as I did few miles and most items I am capable of (and
prefer) to look after myself apart from the running gear which I
prefer to leave to a professional!

I believe the service person when he rang me today claimed one bearing
rumbled, and the other had play in it... both seals were claimed to be
leaking and both wheel bearings I was told required replacing.

Can anyone recommend a repeatable mobile caravan service organisation
that could give a second opinion in Bracknell Berkshire?

Regards,

Paul
Old August 8th 09, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
g4hlf

Hi again,

Picked the van up today without having the wheel bearings replaced.

Drove home but the last 7 miles were very slow, spent 45 mins covering
2 mile then had a clear run at 50mph until 1 mile from home where I
encounter half a dozen roundabouts and several stops for junctions etc
so a fiar bit of braking.

When I got home I unhitched and revered the caravan 20m up a hill
backwards on the motor mover to it home on my drive. Took offthe
plastic wheel trim and felt the steel wheel, ouch it was hot as was
the other wheel/side.

Now I quite often feel my wheels when we stop at service stations etc
and they are warm but when I got home today they were too hot to keep
your hand on.

I then jacked up the van one side at a time, removed the handbrake and
spun the wheel which span freely both sides. All I could hear on both
is one point in each wheel rotation where it sound like the brake
catching very slightly. I could not hear any bearing runble (I presume
this rumble would be obvious?) and I could not hear or feel any play
when holding the wheel and trying to move it left to right and top to
bottom.

Any ideas anyone!

Regards,

Paul

Old August 9th 09, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

g4hlf wrote:
Hi again,

Picked the van up today without having the wheel bearings replaced.

Drove home but the last 7 miles were very slow, spent 45 mins covering
2 mile then had a clear run at 50mph until 1 mile from home where I
encounter half a dozen roundabouts and several stops for junctions etc
so a far bit of braking.

When I got home I unhitched and reversed the caravan 20m up a hill
backwards on the motor mover to it home on my drive. Took off the
plastic wheel trim and felt the steel wheel, ouch it was hot as was
the other wheel/side.

Now I quite often feel my wheels when we stop at service stations etc
and they are warm but when I got home today they were too hot to keep
your hand on.

I then jacked up the van one side at a time, removed the handbrake and
spun the wheel which span freely both sides. All I could hear on both
is one point in each wheel rotation where it sound like the brake
catching very slightly. I could not hear any bearing rumble (I presume
this rumble would be obvious?) and I could not hear or feel any play
when holding the wheel and trying to move it left to right and top to
bottom.

Any ideas anyone!

Regards,

Paul

I think that you know the answer ...

Yes, the brakes are catching and generating the heat. They've been
over-adjusted and by quite a bit, too, by your description. Whether or
not you would hear a bearing rumble with the brake catching is debatable
unless it was severe. If you cannot feel play (assuming as you mention
that the wheel was off the ground) there's not much wrong.

Make sure that you're turning the wheels in the forward direction or you
could get confused by the auto-reverse setup. Apply and release the park
brake to make sure that it is fully released. Slacken off the brake
adjustment (equal amounts, both sides) if it still catches and listen
again. I suspect that you'll hear nothing once the brake catching has
been eliminated.