Should the Wheels get this hot?

Old August 9th 09, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
g4hlf

Default Should the Wheels get this hot?

Hi again,

Picked the van up today without having the wheel bearings replaced.

Drove home but the last 7 miles were very slow, spent 45 mins
covering
2 mile then had a clear run at 50mph until 1 mile from home where I
encounter half a dozen roundabouts and several stops for junctions
etc
so a fiar bit of braking.

When I got home I unhitched and revered the caravan 20m up a hill
backwards on the motor mover to it home on my drive. Took offthe
plastic wheel trim and felt the steel wheel, ouch it was hot as was
the other wheel/side.

Now I quite often feel my wheels when we stop at service stations etc
and they are warm but when I got home today they were too hot to keep
your hand on.

I then jacked up the van one side at a time, removed the handbrake
and
spun the wheel which span freely both sides. All I could hear on both
is one point in each wheel rotation where it sound like the brake
catching very slightly. I could not hear any bearing runble (I
presume
this rumble would be obvious?) and I could not hear or feel any play
when holding the wheel and trying to move it left to right and top to
bottom.

Any ideas anyone!

Regards,

Paul

Old August 9th 09, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"g4hlf" wrote in message
[...]

Do you keep the 'van with the van's handbrake on? How long was it parked
with the brake on? The drum brakes have a knack of sticking to the drums
and if that happens the brake on the 'van is on and hey-ho hot drums etc
etc. The current damp weather is ideal for sticking brakes.

--

Jim

Old August 14th 09, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Darren Bull

It can mean that the damper has gone, the damper stops the brakes coming on
to much.
It sounds like the drums are adjusted ok as what you described is spot on.
When I test the brake system, my acid test is ,can I keep my finger on the
drum.If not it is too hot and I need to slacken the brakes off.
If I can do this without causing a knock on the damper then that's ok. If I
get a knock when braking, then I replace the damper.
Hope this helps
Darren