A cracked window repair.

Old August 16th 09, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Default A cracked window repair.

On the last trip out, I lifted a double glazed window too far and it
cracked at the hinge. They have those stays where you lift the window
gently and if you release just after it clicks, it stays put. Lift it
quickly and it releases to close. Always worked fine, except on the
last trip with the window close to the awning door panel - window part
open I would sometimes walk into it. I opened it just a bit too far, it
clicked, then when I tried to reclose it - it developed a crack along
the edge of the hinge. Had I thought it through, I would have simply
undone the screws to release the stays, but my mind was occupied with
getting things packed up - result one expensive damaged window and no
one else to blame.

As the crack is not very obvious along the edge of the hinge, along the
top and it not entirely broken, plus the DG panel itself is not
affected - I decided to have a go at repairing it. I had originally
thought to plate it on either side of the panel with some thin acrylic
glued on, but then found fish keepers often make their own tanks from
the same material, glued along the edges...

I did a little searching and found that chloroform is the stuff to use
to weld acrylic, except you cannot get hold of it these days unless you
have a very tame chemist. So then I did a bit of research on
alternative sources of welding chemicals ( it needs to be welded,
rather glued for close to original strength). I came up with a company
called Bondrite http://bondrite.co.uk/ and asked them for their
recommendations. They suggested their 250ml WC102 weld cement and a
dosing tip to enable this to be done (5 inc delivery).

This turned up yesterday - I did an initial test on some scrap acrylic,
but the results were not very promising strength wise. Today I tried it
on the window and it turned out to be much better. The stuff only works
well where the edges are a perfect fit, on the widow crack they were.
Its a very thin solution, quite similar to super glue, getting drawn
into the crack by capillary action. It only dissolves the surface layer
to weld (rather than glue) the edges together.

The repair is almost invisible, seems strong enough, but there is some
marking of the surface of the acrylic which will probably polish out.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk