Tow vehicles

Old August 17th 09, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Colin Jackson[_2_]

Default Tow vehicles

My present tow car has just had a major hernia and I need to look for a replacement!

I know this has been covered in previous mails but I cannot recall cars mentioned.

Small 2-berth Swift Challenger, I would appreciate suggestions.

Colin
Old August 17th 09, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:18:49 +0100, "Colin Jackson"
cojack6ATbtinternetDOTcom wrote:

My present tow car has just had a major hernia and I need to look for a replacement!

I know this has been covered in previous mails but I cannot recall cars mentioned.

Small 2-berth Swift Challenger, I would appreciate suggestions.

Colin

I have been much impressed by my 55 plate Mondeo TDCi 115 it is by
far the best tow car I have ever had, it is completely stable more so
than anything else I have ever driven ( and that includes some large
4X4's ). I tow a 1450kg Hymer Nova 470 with it and it returns 35mpg+
towing at 55mph on the motorway with the wind anywhere but on the
front, and between 32 and 35 mpg when the wind is onthe front. On the
motorways I am at 55mph and in cruise control by the end of the
accelerating lane on motorway entrances and it will continue without
any interference from me up any motorway hill, Istart from J20 of the
M62 and going east I am immediately on windy Hill which rises for 4
miles to arrive at the highest point on the motorway in England, I get
the same up shap and up Beattock. On ordinary roads dropping down a
gear lets me climb up most hills, I cam over Plynlimmon (sp ? )
between Llangurig and Aberystwyth on Saturday and apart from the sharp
corners it stormed up at between 45 and 50 ( with lots to spare ) in
4th ( 5 gear box ).
For me in three years this car has been totally reliable, and returns
between 45mpg and 60 mpg when not towing depending upon the
circumstances.
Bill Lord

Old August 17th 09, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

"bill lord" wrote in message
[...]

I have a mondeo tdci zetec 130 bhp and that is brilliant also, best tow car
I have had, and I tug an Avondale 550/4
no probs up the mountains in spain, very good mpg and cruise control makes
for relaxed driving

lofty

Old August 17th 09, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Lofty" wrote in message
o.uk...

"bill lord" wrote in message
[...]

What's the Weight allowed for the Mondeo

TIA

DieSea

Old August 17th 09, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:30:22 +0100, "DieSea"
wrote:

What's the Weight allowed for the Mondeo

Maximum Tow weight is 1800kg but that is just not reasonable. My
Mondeo weighs in at 1496kg kerbweight with a maximum laden mass of
2025kg and a maximum train weight of 3600kg. So I am towing ( if the
van is fully laden, which is not ) some 93% of the kerbweight. However
the way it tows I would have no hesitation in towing the fuly laden
van (1450kg ) and whilst I would imagine that it would be stable at
heavier weights I would be looking for something heavier if I ever
bought a heavier van. The new mondeo is somewhat heavier and is by all
accounts an even better towcar.
Bill Lord

Old August 17th 09, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

wrote:

What's the Weight allowed for the Mondeo

Maximum Tow weight is 1800kg but that is just not reasonable. My
Mondeo weighs in at 1496kg kerbweight with a maximum laden mass of
2025kg and a maximum train weight of 3600kg. So I am towing ( if the
van is fully laden, which is not ) some 93% of the kerbweight. However
the way it tows I would have no hesitation in towing the fuly laden
van (1450kg ) and whilst I would imagine that it would be stable at
heavier weights I would be looking for something heavier if I ever
bought a heavier van. The new mondeo is somewhat heavier and is by all
accounts an even better towcar.
Bill Lord

Thanks Bill

It would tow my TA

Kitchen sink ET All !!

But I don't think the Mondeo get up some of the Pennine cart tracks my disco just
about manages

DieSea

Old August 17th 09, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"Colin Jackson" cojack6ATbtinternetDOTcom wrote in message ...
My present tow car has just had a major hernia and I need to look for a replacement!

I know this has been covered in previous mails but I cannot recall cars mentioned.

Small 2-berth Swift Challenger, I would appreciate suggestions.

Colin

Don't overlook an Octavia or even a Superb. The 105bhp is a better tow car than the 130. The estate is better tower still.

If you do end up with any VAG vehicle go for the 1.9TDi rather than the 2.0L - the latter has a tendency to blow turbos.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old August 18th 09, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GrahamW

"Woody" wrote in message ...
"Colin Jackson" cojack6ATbtinternetDOTcom wrote in message ...
My present tow car has just had a major hernia and I need to look for a replacement!

I know this has been covered in previous mails but I cannot recall cars mentioned.

Small 2-berth Swift Challenger, I would appreciate suggestions.

Colin

Don't overlook an Octavia or even a Superb. The 105bhp is a better tow car than the 130. The estate is better tower still.

If you do end up with any VAG vehicle go for the 1.9TDi rather than the 2.0L - the latter has a tendency to blow turbos.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

I tow a Geist LV485 with a Skoda Superb 2003 1.9TD 130 BHP and the name says it all. Superb.
Just over 2000rpm at 65mph, right in the power band for torque. Excellent acceleration and comfortable too.
30+ mpg towing and 50+ mpg solo.
My sister has a new Octavia 2.0 TD 140BHP and can't match my fuel figures or performance.
However, mine has 90k on the clock and hers only has 10k so hers has time to losen up yet.

Regards, Graham.

--

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?
Old August 20th 09, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Colin Jackson[_2_]

Thanks for the input, the Mondeo TDCi has been mentioned in the
Camping & Caravanning revieu so will have a look at it

Colin

Old September 8th 09, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Balcombe

Dear All

I also have a Mondeo TDCI 130 hp and yes it is a good towcar - provided you
can avoid needing to reverse your car / van. You will find however that
should you need to reverse the gearing is far too high. Last year with less
than 40k on the clock I had to have a total clutch and DMF replacement on my
early 2006 TDCI hatch at a very painful cost of 1500. The car was still
under warranty but I encountered complete indifference from Ford who
unfairly attributed the failure to my driving.. (I have been driving and
caravanning for years on a wide variety of vehicles without previous clutch
problems ). You may choose a mondeo as your next towcar. When I come to
replace mine I will certainly not do so. In the meantime I have obtained a
motor mover to try to avoid the necesity of reversing with the mondeo - not
because I am unable to reverse a car / caravan but because of the
shortcomings of the car. Please remember that the current towcar of the year
test does not include testing of reversing capacity - were it to do so I am
confident the shortcomings of the mondeo (manual models) and I believe
probably some others would be quickly revealed. I understand the mondeos
which have done well in the towcar tests have automatic boxes not manual
ones. At 1250 kg all up my caravan is only 83% of the kerbweight of the car
and a long way off the 1800kg max.

Peter