About to reinsure caravan any last minute ideas, who not to go with etc.

Old August 17th 09, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default About to reinsure caravan any last minute ideas, who not to go with etc.

I am about to reinsure caravan. Any last minute ideas, who not to go with
etc. My caravan is just over 2 years old. I am with SAGA and have been for
a few years now. I am on Gold Level Cover which includes new for old for 12
years and European cover for 365 days a year but not likely to use that
long. Now they want 552. Can go Silver (5 years new for old) at 511. I
know I can do better and having a look online as well as Caravan Club, who I
was with a few years ago. Any up to date comments and ideas?

Thanks & regards

--

Jim

Old August 17th 09, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:38:40 +0100, "Jim" wrote:

I am about to reinsure caravan. Any last minute ideas, who not to go with
etc. My caravan is just over 2 years old. I am with SAGA and have been for
a few years now. I am on Gold Level Cover which includes new for old for 12
years and European cover for 365 days a year but not likely to use that
long. Now they want 552. Can go Silver (5 years new for old) at 511. I
know I can do better and having a look online as well as Caravan Club, who I
was with a few years ago. Any up to date comments and ideas?

Thanks & regards

I have always been with the CC and always been happy, I decided when
the van was 4 years old that I would not continue to pay the extra
premium for new for old cover as the new price of the van was rising
at such an alarming rate, so I opted for the standard cover. So with a
six year old van I am now paying 194.76 a year.
Bill Lord

Old August 17th 09, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"bill lord" wrote in message
[...]

Like Bill I have always been with the CC and the premium on my eight year
old 2 berth Avondale was 82 in March. That I believe was based on a book
value of 3800. Covers me in Europe and I do not have to have one of those
great ugly wheel clamps. Not that very many small two berth vans ever get
nicked. The CC only ask for one lock and the Alko hitchlock is sufficient.
Regards.
Dave.

Old August 17th 09, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Dave D
writes

"bill lord" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'm with AXA through Sureguard. They gave me a very good deal last year
when my van was a write off due to flooding. I was able to deal with
them direct, unlike the CC.

I used to be with them but kicked them into touch when they charged me
30 to suspend my motorhome insurance, whereas the actual insures only
charged me a fiver. They lost two policies as a result.

--
hugh

Old August 17th 09, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Dave D
writes

"bill lord" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I cant understand the workings of the CC insurance

I recently cancelled an in surance with them that had only run for 3 months

They refunded 75% less a fiver

In their words the fiver was for administitave costs

It took about a fortnight to arrive back into the account it had been paid from

I certainly cant fault them

Unlike the previous insurance company that lost me a caravaning season

And then tried to take money from my card without my permission

DieSea

Old August 18th 09, 06:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

I've used CaravanGuard for a few years now and have no complaints
whatsoever. They are helpful, friendly, know what they are
talking about, and responsive.

What's more, they are very competitive too.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 18th 09, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , DieSea
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Dave D
writes

"bill lord" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe they have learnt the lesson??
--
hugh

Old August 18th 09, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Woody
writes
I've used CaravanGuard for a few years now and have no complaints
whatsoever. They are helpful, friendly, know what they are
talking about, and responsive.

What's more, they are very competitive too.

The test of any insurance comes when you make a claim or when you want
to change something mid-term.
--
hugh

Old August 29th 09, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"Jim" wrote in message
I am about to reinsure caravan. Any last minute ideas, who not to go with
etc. My caravan is just over 2 years old. I am with SAGA and have been
for a few years now. I am on Gold Level Cover which includes new for old
for 12 years and European cover for 365 days a year but not likely to use
that long. Now they want 552. Can go Silver (5 years new for old) at
511. I know I can do better and having a look online as well as Caravan
Club, who I was with a few years ago. Any up to date comments and ideas?

Thanks & regards

--

Jim

Thanks to all for the replies.

I have decided to go with the Caravan Club and saved over 150. Only
difference is new for old is up to 10 years old against 12 and European
Cover is for 180 days against 365. Not likely to keep current van for more
than another 5 years when it will be 7 and can't see us being able to travel
to Europe even for the 180 days.

Jim

Old September 11th 09, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

Certainly when we had claims the caravan club were brilliant, I think their
insurance is with Frizzles and they were brilliant, out next day settled
within a week direct with repairer so we were not involved anymore.
Furthermore as the caravan was 1999 and we did not want to scrap it they
allowed us to find parts to keep the van and we were surprised our local
Swift Caravan Centre could supply everything we needed.
Wish all insurance companies were that efficient.
Liz