Lightweight awnings positive and negative comments welcome please

Old August 18th 09, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default Lightweight awnings positive and negative comments welcome please

I am looking at buying a lightweight awning instead of a normal
canvas/acrylic version. My current Bradcott Classic is too small for my new
van. I am looking at the Outdoor Revolution Compactalite 400, the Riversway
Horizon or Meteor 390 or similar. I know that this solution is not as
substantial as a full size Acrylic one but it is cheaper, lighter and,
hopefully, quicker and easier to erect.

Has anyone any experiences or comments both positive and negative please.
Will it blow away in that guaranteed force 8 which comes every time we go
away? Will it keep out the downpour too?

Many thanks!

--

Jim

Old August 18th 09, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lofty

"Jim" wrote in message
I am looking at buying a lightweight awning instead of a normal
canvas/acrylic version. My current Bradcott Classic is too small for my
new van. I am looking at the Outdoor Revolution Compactalite 400, the
Riversway Horizon or Meteor 390 or similar. I know that this solution is
not as substantial as a full size Acrylic one but it is cheaper, lighter
and, hopefully, quicker and easier to erect.

Has anyone any experiences or comments both positive and negative please.
Will it blow away in that guaranteed force 8 which comes every time we go
away? Will it keep out the downpour too?

Many thanks!

--

Jim

I have recently bought a riversway horizen 390, the instruction wasn't to
good (or I may be a bit thick) and no way could I make it touch the sides of
the van, and after complaining, I was told that it should be on level ground
to do that, what site is level?
Also it does not come with a wheel arch cover, so can be a bit draughty, and
when it rained it came through the seam where it joins the awning rail, I
was told it was because of the new stiching, so could be right.
You will need some better pegs than those suplied also.
It didn't blow away in the wind, and it's easier to take down and put away,
one advantage is that if put away wet, when home it will soon dry out
One tip, do not pull out the poles from the bottem, but push them out from
the caravan.

Lofty

Old August 19th 09, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy[_3_]

I have recently bought a riversway horizen 390, the instruction wasn't to
good (or I may be a bit thick) and no way could I make it touch the sides of
the van, and after complaining, I was told that it should be on level ground
to do that, what site is level?
Also it does not come with a wheel arch cover, so can be a bit draughty, and
when it rained it came through the seam where it joins the awning rail, I
was told it was because of the new stiching, so could be right.
You will need some better pegs than those suplied also.
It didn't blow away in the wind, and it's easier to take down and put away,
one advantage is that if put away wet, when home it will soon dry out
One tip, do not pull out the poles from the bottem, but push them out from
the caravan.

Lofty

Recently bought a Meteor 260 and agree with the above comments (the 390 is
3 sections - 260 is 2 so more of a porch than full) although I had to take
the first one back as the two sections had been stitched together out of
line by 2". A levelish pitch is necessary as it is a tad on the short size
(rail to ground). The pegs supplied are thick bent wire, but with with real
pegs it does stand up to strong winds. Convenient, Good price but not
suitable for sleeping in.

Roy
Old August 19th 09, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
artleknock

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:33:31 +0100, "Jim" wrote:

I am looking at buying a lightweight awning instead of a normal
canvas/acrylic version. My current Bradcott Classic is too small for my new
van. I am looking at the Outdoor Revolution Compactalite 400, the Riversway
Horizon or Meteor 390 or similar. I know that this solution is not as
substantial as a full size Acrylic one but it is cheaper, lighter and,
hopefully, quicker and easier to erect.

Has anyone any experiences or comments both positive and negative please.
Will it blow away in that guaranteed force 8 which comes every time we go
away? Will it keep out the downpour too?

Many thanks!

Why not get your Bradcott Cassic converted to a Part Awning?
Old August 19th 09, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"artleknock" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:33:31 +0100, "Jim" wrote:

I am looking at buying a lightweight awning instead of a normal
canvas/acrylic version. My current Bradcott Classic is too small for my
new
van. I am looking at the Outdoor Revolution Compactalite 400, the
Riversway
Horizon or Meteor 390 or similar. I know that this solution is not as
substantial as a full size Acrylic one but it is cheaper, lighter and,
hopefully, quicker and easier to erect.

Has anyone any experiences or comments both positive and negative please.
Will it blow away in that guaranteed force 8 which comes every time we go
away? Will it keep out the downpour too?

Many thanks!

Why not get your Bradcott Cassic converted to a Part Awning?

Tried that but difference is 40CM that will allow a piece to be patched in.
Also, the Bradcott will fit my daughter's van so they are having it. So it
is a new awning for me and I fancy a lightweight one.

--

Jim