Avtex tv power consuption on 12v any ideas

Old August 22nd 09, 06:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tick[_2_]

Default Avtex tv power consuption on 12v any ideas

Avtex tv power consuption on 12v

Looking for either a 10 inch or 15 inch tv for 12v use.
Looking at the online Manuals neither show power consumption on 12v.
I have been told by a Dealer he thinks the 10inch uses 15watt on 12v
and the 15 inch uses 43watt.

If this is correct my choice will be the 10inch.
can anyone confirm this.
Old August 22nd 09, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

"tick" wrote in message
Avtex tv power consuption on 12v

Looking for either a 10 inch or 15 inch tv for 12v use.
Looking at the online Manuals neither show power consumption on
12v.
I have been told by a Dealer he thinks the 10inch uses 15watt
on 12v
and the 15 inch uses 43watt.

If this is correct my choice will be the 10inch.
can anyone confirm this.

I would be inclinded to think again - do you need a 12V TV?

Looking at the spec on the Avtex web site (Google is your friend)
reveals that the TV takes 3W on standby!! Apart from not being
compliant with HMG requirements for 1W on standby the standby
drain alone will not do your battery any good; think, if you have
a 85Ah battery, with the TV on standby for 24 hours without
being used it will deplete the battery by nearly 10% assuming
the battery to be 100% charged (which it won't be.)

Add to that that they don't specify how much juice it takes when
in use (why not - unless it is uncomfortably high?), that the
only external connections it has are audio and composite video
(i.e. no SCART) making connection of external kit difficult, and
that it does not appear to be widescreen which means the
letterbox will reduce effective screen size even more, in your
shoes I would seriously think again.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 22nd 09, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"tick" wrote in message
Avtex tv power consuption on 12v

Looking for either a 10 inch or 15 inch tv for 12v use.
Looking at the online Manuals neither show power consumption on 12v.
I have been told by a Dealer he thinks the 10inch uses 15watt on 12v
and the 15 inch uses 43watt.

If this is correct my choice will be the 10inch.
can anyone confirm this.

I bought the 15" w/s Freeview wit DVD player at Tesco 129, the same thing
with no DVD is 99.
I have a 110 amp battery I'm ok over a 4 day weekend.
( Note only the 15" model is 12V )
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-5227.aspx

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old August 22nd 09, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 08:20:15 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

"tick" wrote in message
Avtex tv power consuption on 12v

Looking for either a 10 inch or 15 inch tv for 12v use.
Looking at the online Manuals neither show power consumption on
12v.
I have been told by a Dealer he thinks the 10inch uses 15watt
on 12v
and the 15 inch uses 43watt.

If this is correct my choice will be the 10inch.
can anyone confirm this.

I would be inclinded to think again - do you need a 12V TV?

Running on 12v on a cl the simple answer is yes, any other solution is
likely to flatten the battery much quicker.

Looking at the spec on the Avtex web site (Google is your friend)
reveals that the TV takes 3W on standby!! Apart from not being
compliant with HMG requirements for 1W on standby the standby
drain alone will not do your battery any good; think, if you have
a 85Ah battery, with the TV on standby for 24 hours without
being used it will deplete the battery by nearly 10% assuming
the battery to be 100% charged (which it won't be.)

Why would anyone leave a TV in a caravan that was working on battery
only leave a TV on Standby, anyone with a modicum of sense unplugs or
switches off completely any appliance that is not in use.

Bill Lord

Old August 22nd 09, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 07:28:03 +0100, "tick"
wrote:

Avtex tv power consuption on 12v

Looking for either a 10 inch or 15 inch tv for 12v use.
Looking at the online Manuals neither show power consumption on 12v.
I have been told by a Dealer he thinks the 10inch uses 15watt on 12v
and the 15 inch uses 43watt.

If this is correct my choice will be the 10inch.
can anyone confirm this.

I have a 19" Mobile TV ( made by Vision Plus and usually stocked by
most caravan dealers and supplied by Grade Uk to find a dealer have a
look at http://www.gradeuk.co.uk/dealers/tvs/ ), they also have a 15"
one that uses less power but I have not found power consumption to be
a problem. I use my Tv for about 2.5hrs at night and always plug in
to the 12V whether on EHU or not ( the set is designed to function at
voltages between 10v and 26v but comes with a 240v transformer as
well. ) but when used on a CL with battery only I get between 5 and 6
days on a 110amp battery before I feel the need to charge it, this use
is TV as described, lights, and water pump and sometimes the fan on
the fire. The TV works fine and grade are a good company to deal with.
Bill Lord

Old August 22nd 09, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dutchman

Got mine from here great set and good value
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12volt-15-Digi...d=p3286.c0.m14

Old August 22nd 09, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Woody[_3_]

wrote:

"tick" wrote in message
[...]

( Get rid of the spaces and use symbols for the hyphen at and
dots )

See Bill, you're doing it again - assuming people have sense,
whether it is a modicum or not.

I suggest you try reading the Technical and Equipment sections of
the Practical Caravan forum (if you don't already) - that might
quickly change your view!

Old August 22nd 09, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , tick
writes
Avtex tv power consuption on 12v

Looking for either a 10 inch or 15 inch tv for 12v use.
Looking at the online Manuals neither show power consumption on 12v.
I have been told by a Dealer he thinks the 10inch uses 15watt on 12v
and the 15 inch uses 43watt.

If this is correct my choice will be the 10inch.
can anyone confirm this.

The Avtex 15" 3-in-1 is quoted as approx 3 amps @ 12v which is 36 watts.
The 7-in-one (which I have) is quoted at 40 watts.

Contrary to what has been said elsewhere the latest versions do have
SCART, PC connection S-video and phono. It also has digital teletext.

I have had 3 12 v TVs, one from Maplins, one Vision and the AVTEX which
is by far the best.
--
hugh

Old August 22nd 09, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:39:22 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

See Bill, you're doing it again - assuming people have sense,
whether it is a modicum or not.

It is only a small minority who do not.
Bill Lord

Old August 23rd 09, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

"Woody" wrote in news:tXWjm.298637$Sn5.72990
@newsfe26.ams2:

See Bill, you're doing it again - assuming people have sense,
whether it is a modicum or not.

Actually, I suspect that's preferrable to not reading the technical data
correctly. If you check again, you'll see that it is the PSU that draws 3W
on standby and not the television itself. Since you'd only use the PSU when
on mains, that standy power drain is completely irrelevant to operation on
12V.

Geoff